Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 09-14-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
You know what I hate? When someone tells me I should never wear my vertically striped shirt with my polka-dotted underwear and my checkered socks. That just irks me to no end!

If it's OK for Mondo, it's OK with me!

Um, back on topic: different strokes for different folks.
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

me: Mags, 59, living with:
miss pixi, 37

Last edited by Magdlyn; 09-14-2011 at 03:06 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:11 PM

Third row, center photo: OUCH! She's HOT!

River's Blog
Old 09-14-2011, 09:40 PM

I agree with River in that while poly is a lovestyle it is also a discourse. Words are important, and they shape reality.

I think that primary and secondary imply hierarchy. It may be the connotations of the words themselves or it may be a cultural thing, whatever. It's there, if not for all, for many. That's why I don't think it's wise to use those words unless one wants to convey the message of the relationships being more and less important. Even if that's not the meaning the person using the words personally attaches to the words that is the meaning they convey to many.

I think it is problematic that many people in non-hierarchical relationships use primary and secondary labels. This is particularly when thinking about polyamory in relation to mainstream monogamous culture. I am sure that to many monogamists the terms primary and secondary refer to hierarchy (as they seem to do for many poly people, while not for many others, based on this discussion). Therefore, hearing those terms to be commonly used by many poly people, even in non-hierarchical relationships, gives the picture that poly relationships are most often hierarchical. Of course, even a poly structure where there actually is a more and a less important relationship still challenges the mainstream monogamous culture. But using hierarchical language in polyamorous relationships, even in ones that are equally important, enforces the so common belief that people really can't love equally, i.e. one must love one more than the other or polyamory involves no Real Love at all.

(Disclaimer: please note I'm not saying you must not use the terms primary/secondary, only voicing my opinion.)
Old 09-14-2011, 10:06 PM

Wink

Greetings, Friends:

I've only read the first couple of pages of this thread. I hope I may throw in a couple of suggestions.

If you don't care for the terms primary and secondary, perhaps one or more of these may fit better.

For those who are married: husband, wife.

For lovers to whom you are not married: boyfriend, girlfriend, lover, sweetheart, benefriend (for FWB's).

In my tribe, most of us use husband, wife, bf and gf, but one of my bf's lovers doesn't like those terms. She just refers to each of us by our names.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:37 PM

Sorry, no dictating meant. River was correct, I just can't PERSONALLY stand it being used. I should use my words more carefully sometimes.

I also think those photos are quite awful too... PERSONALLY.
=]
Old 09-16-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory View Post
I think it is problematic that many people in non-hierarchical relationships use primary and secondary labels. This is particularly when thinking about polyamory in relation to mainstream monogamous culture. I am sure that to many monogamists the terms primary and secondary refer to hierarchy (as they seem to do for many poly people, while not for many others, based on this discussion). Therefore, hearing those terms to be commonly used by many poly people, even in non-hierarchical relationships, gives the picture that poly relationships are most often hierarchical. Of course, even a poly structure where there actually is a more and a less important relationship still challenges the mainstream monogamous culture. But using hierarchical language in polyamorous relationships, even in ones that are equally important, enforces the so common belief that people really can't love equally, i.e. one must love one more than the other or polyamory involves no Real Love at all.
I find this to be a brilliantly insightful post. Thanks so much, Rory! Brilliant.

River's Blog
Old 09-16-2011, 04:24 PM

Thank you, River. (And you're welcome, of course.)
Old 09-19-2011, 06:46 AM

There was some thing going around that perhaps a better term for primary partners would be anchor partner... I think it was Minx from Polyweekly
Old 09-19-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpepper View Post
There was some thing going around that perhaps a better term for primary partners would be anchor partner... I think it was Minx from Polyweekly
That makes me think that you are stuck with that partner, whilst every realtionship around it would be free to move around, unless anchored themselves. I find that husband/wife, girlfriend/boyfriend, partner, etc. are all you really need. They are the simplest to understand. They shouldn't require any explaining to the average person. Until of course, it comes to the point where you mention you have 5 other ones. =P
=]
Old 09-19-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post
There is no official or institutional authority ("Poly Police") within the poly discourse,...
they'd simply be 'Polyce' surely?

why miss the chance of a pun?

There are two Rivers here now: which one is this?

see
quaker poly experiences and poly: a quaker perspective

I hope other British Quakers who are poly (or wonder if they are) will contact me here, thanks, Friends.

Tags
definitions, descriptions, hierarchy, perscriptions, primary/secondary, secondaries, secondary, terminology