Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 10-27-2009, 02:09 AM

After first coming to this forum it felt great! We are in small town BC and felt very alone! Being able to know that there are many others out there in somewhat similar situations, and hearing how they faced like issues was, and is fantastic. Reading through posts has either answered many questions or at least showed a different point of view. Simply put....Food for thought!

On the flip side, there are not enough hours in the day to read back through the many posts and archives. Like many others in todays society we lead very busy lives, and trying to manage time in a relationship, family, work, home etc. The ability to ask a question and receive feedback can be very illuminating, to quote Sweetie.." there is no such thing as a stupid question if you don't know the answer!"

I have to agree that there is a Jerry Springer atmosphere quite often. Very much a 'clique' and the idea of a Members Only Club only inforces this. I have to agree also with Ceoli that a lot of valuable thoughts and perspectives would be missed. What makes the feelings and thoughts of one with less posts on a forum less important than one who has had the time for many posts?

Like I said.....food for thought!
Old 10-27-2009, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea View Post
What makes the feelings and thoughts of one with less posts on a forum less important than one who has had the time for many posts?

You're absolutely right! I am fortunate enough to have access 24 and 7almost.

I think we can all agree that narrowing circles is something best kept away from the forums.

Playing the Game of Life with Monopoly rules.
Monogamy might just be in my genes

Poly Events All Over
Old 10-27-2009, 02:58 AM

My interperetation of what people were suggesting with a members area was an area where you would have to have an account in order to read it. If I was correct in that interperetation then even people with 0 posts would be able to read it, but search engines and unregistered guests would not be able to read it. That really wouldn't protect you from much other than a person would at least have to give a valid email address in order to read it.

I personally have no need for such an area and have no complaints with things the way they are, but I do understand why some would have a desire to create safer space. But it seems like YGirl has the perfect answer to that with the multiple recipient PMs. Plenty of safe space there.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:08 AM

Ok not so much a members only club. Just a place where those of us who are regulars could post photos etc. Say with 10 post count limit. So its not too exclusive. Just for those who plan to stick around!
Brought me here...
And where was I before the day
That I first saw your lovely face?
Now I see it everyday
And I know that I am
I am, I am
The luckiest..
~ Ben Folds five ~
Old 10-27-2009, 03:12 AM

Just for the info of all. You can creat a private album that can only be viewed by your contacts. Just so you know!

Poly Events All Over
Old 10-27-2009, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea View Post

I have to agree that there is a Jerry Springer atmosphere quite often. Very much a 'clique' and the idea of a Members Only Club only inforces this. I have to agree also with Ceoli that a lot of valuable thoughts and perspectives would be missed. What makes the feelings and thoughts of one with less posts on a forum less important than one who has had the time for many posts?

Nothing-but why I suggested that was because some people would feel comfortable sharing more personal info with people they had gotten to know here. But are not comfortable sharing it with random unknowns-or spammers. We do get the occassional spammer join for a few days. If there weren't some sort of limitation-then all of a sudden EVERYTHING would be available to them as well.
For me I don't care how MUCH you (general you) post. I care that people feel comfortable sharing.
Does that make sense?
Like mono was talking about putting his real pic on. I would anyway-but some people-that could be more risky. And having random spammers accessing that info could cause issues...
Old 10-27-2009, 05:10 AM

This forum, and I can't remember for the life of me how I found it......has been a Godsend.....I never, ever dreamed of approaching my wife about moving our marriage forward in a poly way, but with so much to read and learn about on here, it quickly became a no brainer to do so.

I truly hope that so many others out there like myself can find this special place and the special people that exist on here. Some of you know who you are and you'll never fully realize how much of an impact you have had on so many people's lives and relationships.

I am an information junkie, an avid communicator, and finally, a healer of bodies and now hearts, too. There has been absolutely no downside to my being on here, other than to have my two loves complain that this puter is in my lap for too many hours on some nights. Hence, my reduced participation lately....as others here at home need my more immediate attention. I hope all my friends on here understand.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1npt View Post
I hope all my friends on here understand.
Without a doubt my friend! Sounds like you are doing well..take care.

Poly Events All Over
Old 10-27-2009, 06:48 AM

mark, we forgive you... besides I don't feel like you've left as we have emailed lots!

I for one don't like the idea of segregation for senior memebers. I understand how it is appealing, but I have friends on my facebook now who know me in a very different light than on here and I know them. It makes my sense of community feel that much tighter... if they aren't on my facebook then we email... it all works and if anyone wants to do either, or if I want to then it can be arranged.

The whole idea of knowing someone beyond this forum is very appealing to me as I am not the person that you all think I am. I realized that when I met some of you elsewhere, saw your pictures and lives in a different way and realized that you all see me in that different way also. It has changed my view of people on here that I only know a small part of their lives and in no way should think I have a right to judge them for what they write on here.

I love to think that friendships can last longer than this forum, or at least longer than my interest in it.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:55 AM

one down side is that I write long posts that I think no one has read and then get sad and think I've wasted my time.... especially as quite often they are repeats of what I have already said three months ago... oh well, my problem.