Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 04-23-2011, 05:20 PM

Default Paths into poly

I have read some stories of how people have come into polyamory. I would like to hear yours.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:04 PM

My husband and I started with monogamy, he was very jealous in the beginning of our relationship. We were very young (I was 16, he 20) and he had big insecurities. He was jealous of me spending time at school or with friends. There was some serious co-dependence in the beginning, I think that is why I put up with the jealousy. His self esteem gradually got better and he stopped the controlling behaviour within the first year, but it took us a few more years to repair the damage and for me to believe that he wouldn't start that kind of behaviour again.

We got married after we had been together for 4 years and started talking about the possibility of having a threesome with another girl at around the same time (I am bisexual). It was all very hypothetical at that point and first we only played with the idea. But I started to think about it more analytically and finally told him that the idea of him having sex with somebody else didn't actually bother me at all. I was sort of surprised myself, even though I had never been a jealous person. I gave him the "permission" to be with somebody if he felt like it. I didn't expect any freedom in return: my reason for giving him permission was that I didn't see a reason to limit him since the thought didn't bother me in any way. My husband started thinking about the whole thing, and after a while he told me that he wouldn't feel bad if I were to kiss or have sex with another girl, but felt jealous thinking about me with another guy. At that point neither of us had any knowlege of polyamory. I found about it later and shared with him that it would also be ok if he fell in love with somebody, but we didn't discuss it further.

We had the agreement for almost two years before either of us had sex. My husband hasn't still been with anybody else. I had sex with a friend, and that was a one-time thing. Then after more than a year, I met an online-friend of mine for the first time and there was sex as well but also deeper feelings. So after visiting her I talked to my husband about polyamory and discussed how he would feel about me having a serious relationship with her. My husband didn't feel any jealousy about the situation and was okay with it. My friend had similar talks with her husband, we spent some more time together and now she is officially my girlfriend.

I feel very happy, I like her a lot and feel that there could be so much potential in this. She is a wonderful person and seems compatible. Although that might partially be the NRE talking.

I also feel that taking this step we have gained such openness in my marriage. It's so wonderful to see new sides to a person you have been long with. And I feel amazement at how far we have come, and especially my husband. Both of us have obviously grown and changed a lot, but in terms of the jealousy he has made tremendous progress. I may have given him technically more freedom but he has taken more steps to be where he is now and I am very proud of him. And I do feel that I am the luckiest person in the world.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:22 PM

Hi and welcome! You might want to peruse the "Introductions" and "Life Stories and Blogs" sections for individual stories of how people got started.

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein
Old 04-23-2011, 08:35 PM

Thanks, I think I'll check out more of the life stories area when I have time

I've read some stories on here already in in separate topics, but I thought maybe an own thread would be a nice idea as well.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:49 PM

I hope that our journey into this turns out to be as wonderful as yours has I've been back and forth on whether or not to take on a girlfriend of my own, while my boyfriend is seeing this new woman (first meeting tomorrow, which I think will go well for them and they will move forward).

As of today, I was thinking I wasn't too sure that I wanted to take on a gf so soon until I sorted through my initial and huge jealousy feelings, but I got a message from a girl locally, who seems to have quite a few things in common with me and she is cute, so I'm going to entertain the idea of coffee with her. I'm nervous about it, lol, but he tells me I should do it and at least see what it is like.

Change has always been a struggle for me in life when I'm comfortable, and I'm looking forward to seeing how this makes me strong and makes us stronger. Your post was very inspirational for me
Old 04-24-2011, 09:26 AM

Thank you, gamerprincess Hopefully things will work out well for us all in the future and also for you and your boyfriend.

--

I wanted to add to the topic that I am interested not only hearing stories about how people have started their polyamorous relationship but also of how people in general have "found" poly, whether they were single or in relationships.