Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Poly Relationships Corner

Notices

Old 04-12-2014, 10:49 PM

Red face New to poly, meeting his wife tonight!

Hello! I've recently started dating a poly guy, I have no issues at all with the lifestyle. Taking to it quite naturally actually. Tonight I am meeting his wife for the first time! Very nervous and a little excited! She does have veto rights, and that worries me. Not that I think she will use them. I figure he wouldn't allow us to get this far I he felt she wouldn't like me.
Any advice??
Old 04-12-2014, 11:03 PM

No advice here, since I will absolutely not date anyone who allows a partner to veto another, but just wanted to wish you luck.

Oh, and maybe I do have some advice... be yourself. Don't try to impress - if you're nervous, it's okay to say so. And let them do most of the talking. This is a good opportunity for you to observe how they relate and interact with each other, and hopefully you will gain some insight into how he handles his relationships with women, especially one whom he is letting call the shots for a relationship she isn't in.

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein
Old 04-12-2014, 11:18 PM

No informed advice to offer, as I'm sort of on the other side of your exact situation right now: my wife will be meeting my most-significant outside partner next week, if plans come off. So I'm sort of able to channel what she's said she hopes for out of that meeting to you:

She definitely doesn't want to feel she's "competing" with him right there over dinner, so any overtly flirty stuff from him would spark her the wrong way.

She does want to get to know him, a bit, without me being an overly-active mediator, so I've promised to try to let their conversation take its natural course without attempting to be a go-between. I think for you that translates to: try to talk to her as directly as possible, not talk to her through him.

She'll appreciate any PDA between me and him being kept to a publically-appropriate minimum, e.g. a strong hug at greeting and parting.

She did say to me with a smile, "You're sitting on the same side of the table as I am, and he'll be across from us." :-)

Good luck--I think just being yourself and signaling to her that you're not a threat to their relationship are the key objectives. Have fun!
Old 04-12-2014, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Openbiman View Post
She did say to me with a smile, "You're sitting on the same side of the table as I am, and he'll be across from us."
I recommend a round table so there is no power imbalance!

"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein
Old 04-13-2014, 03:18 AM

Question

Back now. I really couldn't read her. At times we seemed to be doing very well, then others seemed like she could care less. It ended very abruptly, her saying "I'll let you two say good bye" then walking off. I had to yell "nice meeting you!" To her back as she walked away. I didn't get to say thanks either.
On top of that he wasnt able to get a read on her either! I asked him how he thought it went and he said he didn't know. His lack of confidence scares me.
So now I'm home, more nervous now than I was before.
I don't agree with the veto right either, but I respect their agreement to have it. All I want is the chance for us to keep developing naturally as we have been doing.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottendaughter View Post
I don't agree with the veto right either, but I respect their agreement to have it. All I want is the chance for us to keep developing naturally as we have been doing.
But a relationship can't develop naturally with a veto hanging over it.

Well, anyway, it sounds like it was perhaps very awkward for all of you. I hope things go well.

Old 04-13-2014, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
But a relationship can't develop naturally with a veto hanging over it.
I can see that. How can you let yourself really completely fall for someone if you know at any moment an outside party can just cut it off?
Up until tonight it hasn't been discussed really. She's known about me since day one. Shouldn't she have vetoed then? Before we both developed actual feelings? Seems like If you're going to have veto power, that would be the humane thing to do. If she says no now, she hurts us both.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottendaughter View Post
"I'll let you two say good bye" then walking off. I had to yell "nice meeting you!" To her back as she walked away. I didn't get to say thanks either.
Yikes. That is a pretty sour encounter.

I can't imagine being in a relationship with someone while some outside party could tell them to dump me... that sounds awful and belittling. It also wouldn't turn me on very much to date someone who allows their partner to tell them what to do like that lol.

Have you spoken frankly with him about this veto bullshit? You don't sound like you're thrilled to have it hanging over your head so I suggest you get out in front of it. Good luck!

Me: male, 40, straight, single
Old 04-13-2014, 06:41 PM

What Marcus said...

If it was me I would not get involved with this potential nightmare. How can you develop a relationship with the sword of damocles hanging over your head.
In a V relationship with an average 60/40 split of time. Only due to Murf's and Butch's crappy work schedules.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:12 PM

yeah the fact that she was so cold and rude to you would send me some huge red flags.