Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 03-14-2014, 09:01 AM

Question More descriptive terms for metamours

Hi all,

I was wondering whether any of you have discovered/invented other ways to describe or name the relationships you have with your metamours? 'Metamour' seems to be a very functional term to me - it describes the position of both parties in a relationship, but doesn't really say anything about what kind of relationship you have with each other. Daedalea and I have been talking about this, because we all signed up to FetLife recently and there simply isn't a category for for us (they don't even use metamour over there). So she and Astraeus can describe themselves as being polyamorous with each other, but there's no way for she and I to indicate the special relationship we have with each other.

To clarify, we have a deep, loving, adventurous and at times hilarious friendship with each other that is based not only on our mutual love for Astraeus but also on the fact that we have a lot in common anyway (we probably would have become friends even if there hadn't been anything with Astraeus). The other day we described it as a sort of combination of friendship and sisterhood, which made us think of sister-wives (without the religious connotations). I think we are pretty much everything just short of being in a triad, really. Up till now she's been describing me as her sweetie's wife with whom she gets on very well, and I've been calling her my husband's sweetie who I love dearly too, but we'd like something a bit simpler, naturally :P

Any thoughts, ideas or own inventions?

Amanita
Old 03-14-2014, 09:54 AM

I've heard things like co-wives and co-husbands but that implies a) a marriage-like relationship for both relationships mentioned and b) that the two metamours are the same gender. Although I guess co-spouse would fix the latter, and co-partner might fix both?
Old 03-14-2014, 09:57 AM
Banned

"I have a close, loving, independent realtionship with my metamour"
Old 03-14-2014, 01:27 PM

Friend?

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein
Old 03-14-2014, 01:47 PM

No I haven't really. Friend is a good one

Too many labels in this corporate polyamory. I will stick to the simple ones.

Ironically I used to be a label maker. Much simpler now
Old 03-14-2014, 02:01 PM

When nate was with Jane I just called her nates girlfriend if I was referencing their relationship. If referencing my relationship with her id call her my friend. All others have been "the chick nate is fooling around with" I don't consider his fuck buddies as my metamores. I've never even met most of them unless its the ones who he met through me but I again would refer them as friends if im describing my relationship with them
Old 03-14-2014, 03:17 PM

We've come up against this issue too. My boyfriend's wife and I are very close friends but the terminology is tough. She's not my best friend or sister; those roles are taken. Girlfriend implies a sexual relationship which isn't the case. Friend isn't enough. Sister wife is closest but implies religious aspects so what to use?? So far we say my boyfriend's wife or husband's girlfriend but that doesn't show our close friendship. Ugh!