Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Press and media coverage

Notices

Old 12-02-2013, 02:35 AM

Default Study on oxytocin and monogamy

http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2013/11/22/1314190110
Old 12-02-2013, 03:18 AM

I only read the abstract, but I notice it's mono-biased. Basically, it presupposes that humans are monogamous and attempts to explain why.

They measured perceived attractiveness of partner vs non-partner women, both familiar and unfamiliar, under the influence of oxytocin. They did not measure attractiveness between multiple bonded partners, or between a legitimate partner and an infidelitous partner.

I couldn't access the full article through my university, but I'd be interested to see the numbers on the partners vs familiar vs unfamiliar women. They found that men are more attracted to their partners than to other familiar women, but the abstract didn't provide the margins or comparisons with unfamiliar women.

In my opinion, the findings are more indicative about what hormones are responsible for pair-bonding in males than they are about explaining fidelity or demonstrating a biological basis for sexual monogamy.

The most dangerous phrase in the English language is "we've always done it this way."
Old 12-02-2013, 07:09 AM
Banned

Yeah, it was a whole crock of shite.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:59 PM

I was left with so many questions. I see some connections between this article and the work of Helen Fisher, but the authors did not establish if this "oxytocin" response could be felt for more than one familiar face. Additionally, the article implied that those with a diminshed oxytocin response actually feel less attached to their partners. Hmmm. I know my experiences are anecdotal and could be so-called outliers in a data set, but if anything, my poly partners are more attached. There are simply so many possible confounds here, it makes me question how it was taken on as a research question. I'd also like to see the research on women too. I've seen studies on maternal rats showing their elevated oxytocin rates correlated to bonding with their young...but applying these concepts to poly/mono seems a stretch. Still, I find this sort of science fascinating and I hope there is more of it in the years to come.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by london View Post
Yeah, it was a whole crock of shite.
No it wasn't.

It just used different assumptions.

It's likely that had they tested poly men that they would have seen the same response for their multiple partners.

The research is valid in confirming that we have, and which compounds mediate, pair bonding in out nature. It affirms that men's brains can be programmed to diminish the attractiveness and appeal of other women under the influence of oxytocin.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:36 PM
Banned

I can't access the study from my phone but I remember from discussing it previously that how they picked the people for the study was flawed amongst other things. Brb.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:17 PM

http://m.jneurosci.org/content/32/46/16074

Here is another one.

My point isn't to attack your POV, I'm trying to explain that oxytocin has many well recorded 'bond' effects between people. It appears to support bonding between mother and child, romantic couples, and in reverse, reduce bonding between strangers.

If it works for self reported monogamous men, it's likely in effect with poly fidelitous men too. It's not like mothers kill their firstborn when the oxytocin helps her bond with her second child, after all.