Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Poly Relationships Corner

Notices

Old 04-12-2013, 07:01 PM

Default of my insecurity

Hi,

I would love to start my first real post with something else than a rant of my own insecurity.... but this is recently been on top an troubling me quite a lot.

Background:

I am in a poly-relationship with a bi-woman who has a bf, been together for 1.5 yrs now and going to marry next summer. The three of us live together and as far as I know there is no trouble in this setup.

Troubling part:

I have a dear friend of mine with whom we are very competetive. She and I need to top each other in just about everything, she is just a tad smarter than I am (jury is out on that though) a lot more successful than I am, I am a tad younger and bit more beautiful (well I like to think so) and more artistic...

My partner is quite attracted to my friend and has opened discussion of her intrest on my friend, who is interested in my partner...

So my trouble is this: I do not believe that limiting my partner would do any good, those two people are attracted to each other and I believe I should not stand in their way... and here comes the BUT,

But I am not as secure as I may seem, my partner knows about the competetiveness of me and my friend and still wants to pursue... It all boils down to my insecurity, how to learn to handle jealousy and insecurity when there is close party as the third party?

well might be a bit more of a rant than a real question, but if it wakens any thoughts I would love to hear them

Kay

Kay: tall, lesbian, polycurious?
A: my wife to be, bi, poly
O: her BF, straight, poly

to be continued?
Old 04-12-2013, 08:22 PM

Exclamation triple threat

Hi KayFin,
I'm at a loss for advice to give on your situation. I'll definitely be following this thread, though. I had never considered the compounded inner trouble potentially brought on by the stack of insecurity+jealousy+competitive nature with a friend to whom your love is showing interest.

One thing I know as fact is that our journeys tend to make us bigger and better people in the long term. The sum of poly existence for me is "Big feelings, Big bruises, Bigger rewards." That being said, the torture of being in the blood and guts of the sometimes trying present isn't easily soothed by promises of a happy future.

Big hugs for you though. I'm sure someone has some good advice and they'll no doubt be along shortly.

Best of everything to all of you,
Jim
Old 04-12-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutBusterX View Post
Hi KayFin,
I had never considered the compounded inner trouble potentially brought on by the stack of insecurity+jealousy+competitive nature with a friend to whom your love is showing interest.
I have no advice. I do know how real it is though. I refused to introduce my best friend to my girlfriend for 6 months because I knew he'd steal her. He didn't steal her, but he did date her very shortly after we broke up.

I was..... not happy.
Stakes - very intimate friend
Old 04-12-2013, 09:00 PM

Thank you,

My friend is not one to steal a partner but thing I fear is that if we end up having relationship with the same person it might bring out our competetiveness in a very disrupting way.

Worst case scenario: breaking romantic relations and a long friendship

as things are now, I will wait and see how things unfold doing nothing to push it forward or to stop it....

Kay: tall, lesbian, polycurious?
A: my wife to be, bi, poly
O: her BF, straight, poly

to be continued?

Last edited by KayFin; 04-12-2013 at 09:02 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayFin View Post
Thank you,

My friend is not one to steal a partner but thing I fear is that if we end up having relationship with the same person it might bring out our competetiveness in a very disrupting way.

Worst case scenario: breaking romantic relations and a long friendship

as things are now, I will wait and see how things unfold doing nothing to push it forward or to stop it....
The only thing you can control is what you do. If you know that your personality issue is being to competitive with this friend, then stop doing so. Find your own hobby, find your own inner peace, learn to be happy with you and what you do and stop your behavior.

I had a jealous issue with hubby's (nutbuster (jim)) most recent ex. I totally believed she was better than me, skinnier than me, prettier than me, and I knew it was MY issue.. Talking with him helped ALOT.. It really did, but our talk only came after a complete melt down of mine and my feelings of insecurity, jealousy, etc.. I felt that if pushed I could not compete with her, and frankly I tend to shut off/down emotions fairly easy so I would not have competed with her, I would have and eventually did cut off any feelings at all I felt for her and let the entire situation go out of my head.

So this will take alot of personal work for you, but you can do it..

Hugs..

Nancy
Old 04-12-2013, 10:57 PM

Whether it be your partner (she loves you) or your friend (she cares for your friendship) I would think each of them would be thankful to know your thoughts as they change, intensify, your feelings get yucky, etc.

I'd sit back, work to understand my feelings, and wait for the appropriate time to discuss them. I think its important to do so as things develop, though. That is a moire proactive approach than waiting until your heart feels like it's breaking.

Old 04-13-2013, 03:12 AM
Official Greeter

Sometime soon, I think I would have a three-person talk: you, your friend, and your partner. I would tell them I am worried about how the competitive element will play into this, but, that I'm willing to give it a try. Find out what thoughts they have if any.

It might be good to schedule a talk such as this once a week, or once a month. During each talk, discuss the status of competition in the friendship and if it is making things bad in the romance area, and what can be done to make that easier. Be honest in saying that you always felt somewhat inferior in your competitions with your friend.

Keep tabs in your own mind of how it's going. What is your emotional state? Is the situation making you a nervous wreck? If so, you may have to step away from it. Unless your partner would honor your wishes to cut ties with the friend, and I'm not sure how you'll feel about that ethically if you can do it.

Hopefully I'm making a mountain of a molehill, and this competition thing won't have any serious effects on your romance with your partner. I just know that I've had a friend, who, for a long time, I wanted his approval, and couldn't seem to get it. That kind of a friendship can be a sad, sad riddle to solve.

Hope this helps,
Kevin T.