Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Press and media coverage

Notices

Old 12-01-2010, 01:44 AM

Default poly is the new gay

Poly is the new gay.

Last edited by NeonKaos; 12-01-2010 at 01:50 AM.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:16 PM

That's funny, I thought the genderqueer/transgender/intersexed communities were the "gays" of 2010.

It's been 40 years since the gay civil rights movement started. Let's hope it doesnt take that long for either poly people or transgendered people to achieve similar rights and acceptance.
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

me: Mags, 59, living with:
miss pixi, 37
Old 12-01-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magdlyn View Post
That's funny, I thought the genderqueer/transgender/intersexed communities were the "gays" of 2010.

It's been 40 years since the gay civil rights movement started. Let's hope it doesnt take that long for either poly people or transgendered people to achieve similar rights and acceptance.
It's been 40 years and counting. Gays STILL don't have the right to marry. Even getting a legal "Life partner" status to be able to share things like health insurance etc can be quite an ordeal. In mant states the life partner status has to be brought before a judge who has months to review the request and decide whether or not it will be granted. Gays may have some basic rights, but they are certainly limited.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:39 PM

Luckily, here in Canada, and specifically the Candian military, attitudes are vastly changed. We recognize same sex marraiges and have paid for gender reassignments. And yet I am not sure how they would handle my relationship. A few years ago the military apparently investigated a swinger group at a military housing community and "shut it down" so to speak (but that could be a rumor)

Playing the Game of Life with Monopoly rules.
Monogamy might just be in my genes

Poly Events All Over
Old 12-01-2010, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoVCPHG View Post
Luckily, here in Canada, and specifically the Candian military, attitudes are vastly changed. We recognize same sex marraiges and have paid for gender reassignments. And yet I am not sure how they would handle my relationship. A few years ago the military apparently investigated a swinger group at a military housing community and "shut it down" so to speak (but that could be a rumor)
I find that humorously ironic. Considering how swinging found some of its roots.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariakas View Post
I find that humorously ironic. Considering how swinging found some of its roots.
My mother has some good stories of when the men went to sea LOL! Soap box in the window meant "open for business" !!

Poly Events All Over
Old 12-01-2010, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoVCPHG View Post
We recognize same sex marraiges and have paid for gender reassignments.
And iirc the biggest break to homosexual marriages being allowed in Canada had to do with Sexual Orientation being recognized as protected under the charter, and then a challenge and subsequent striking down of the old marriage laws as unconstitutional based on that prejudice against orientation.

-Imaginary Illusion

How did I get here & Where am I going?
Old 12-02-2010, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaginaryIllusion View Post
old marriage laws as unconstitutional based on that prejudice against orientation.
So how would they deal with polygamy I wonder

Poly Events All Over
Old 12-02-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polychronopolous View Post
It's been 40 years and counting. Gays STILL don't have the right to marry.
Right, except in a few states.

Quote:
Even getting a legal "Life partner" status to be able to share things like health insurance etc can be quite an ordeal. In many states the life partner status has to be brought before a judge who has months to review the request and decide whether or not it will be granted. Gays may have some basic rights, but they are certainly limited.
Of course. There's a way to go. But things are definitely changing, as also evidenced by the Don't Ask Don't Tell debate going on for the military now. I heard over 70% of Americans are in favor of gays being allowed to be "out" in the military, and over 80% of actual military ppl are in favor. That's a huge change from a decade or 2 ago!

Now if ppl would just stop (loudly) whispering, "That's a man" when my gf walks by them... We need more education about transgender in our schools, as we've had for race issues, religions, disabilities, gay issues.
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

me: Mags, 59, living with:
miss pixi, 37