Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Poly Relationships Corner

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-30-2010, 12:17 AM
Iktomi Iktomi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NW Wisconsin
Posts: 24
Default Facilitating Chemistry Between Them?

So my husband and i went on a date with our new girlfriend... I have to say, things got hot and heavy from the start. It was wonderful... for me and the GF... my husband is more of a slow mover and didn't connect right away to the new girl, which he didn't tell me until after all the physical stuff happened, and it's mostly my fault for jumping in too deep too soon, I knew he wasn't as fast a mover as I was but at the time it slipped my mind, and the new girl was just as eager.

Anyway, now the gateway is opened for sex between us all... only the GF and I are in the deep end and my husband is still in the boat, unsure. He asked me on this next date to facilitate bonding between the 2 of them. He's not into casual sex, I know he needs an emotional connection first. Basically I know that means I have to back off and let them connect, but I'm having trouble with the practical reality of it. Having never dated 2 people at once, I don't really know what he means. I don't know HOW he connects emotionally with someone besides A. conversation... he doesn't converse easily with people and didn't really show an interest in conversing online with her, or B. sex and physical touch... which is how I connect emotionally with someone. :P But obviously he's not talking about just the physical stuff.

Perhaps it's said that men are simple and women need figuring out, but it seems I just don't understand my man and what he needs from me.

So my question is, have any of you been in this type of situation before, and what did you do to facilitate chemistry or at least bonding between both of your lovers?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-30-2010, 12:28 AM
Ariakas Ariakas is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,828
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iktomi View Post
Anyway, now the gateway is opened for sex between us all... only the GF and I are in the deep end and my husband is still in the boat, unsure. He asked me on this next date to facilitate bonding between the 2 of them. He's not into casual sex, I know he needs an emotional connection first. Basically I know that means I have to back off and let them connect, but I'm having trouble with the practical reality of it. Having never dated 2 people at once, I don't really know what he means. I don't know HOW he connects emotionally with someone besides A. conversation... he doesn't converse easily with people and didn't really show an interest in conversing online with her, or B. sex and physical touch... which is how I connect emotionally with someone. :P But obviously he's not talking about just the physical stuff.
Simple suggestion, facilitate a date between the two of them only. Remove your energy from the picture in order to help him get comfortable. A triad is 4 working relationships. Foster each individually and you can build a strong foundation

a+b
b+c
a+c
a+b+c

Keep that in mind and things might roll along smoothly.

Quote:
Perhaps it's said that men are simple and women need figuring out, but it seems I just don't understand my man and what he needs from me.
Lets skip generalizations haha.

Also, be prepared. This is 4 relationships, he may NEVER be interested in her in the same way, or his may develop over years and yours may dwindle. Don't expect each relationship to be built on equal footing.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-30-2010, 01:37 AM
Iktomi Iktomi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NW Wisconsin
Posts: 24
Default

thank you! that was helpful. he doesn't want to have a date just him and her though, i wonder why
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-30-2010, 02:15 AM
polychronopolous's Avatar
polychronopolous polychronopolous is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Apple Valley, California
Posts: 69
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iktomi View Post
thank you! that was helpful. he doesn't want to have a date just him and her though, i wonder why
There could be a lot of reasons for that. He sounds (and of course I don't know him) a little introverted and that can make it difficult to have so much focus on him at once. He may also not have a good feel for the pace he would like to take things with her yet and it might feel more comfortable to put both feet in once he gets a better sense of her rhythm and how she interacts with him. Of course the best way to know is to talk to him about it
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-30-2010, 03:09 AM
Iktomi Iktomi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NW Wisconsin
Posts: 24
Default

this is true, polychromopolous... he is a bit introverted and still sorting out his feelings. i'm going to talk to him about what he means exactly later tonight and hopefully get some clarification.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-30-2010, 03:58 PM
redpepper's Avatar
redpepper redpepper is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,632
Default

I would agree, a date with just the two of them would be what I would work towards. Even if it's a date that starts and ends with the two f you. Sometime in between would make them have some moments together.

If this were me I wouldn't be working towards the sex thing at all. It seems far too rushed if he is not at a point where he can even hang out with her alone. It seems like it's all about the sex so far. If you want something for the long haul and something rich with connection and mutual triad love, then I think it means slowing right down and allowing the relationship to become the foundation rather than sex. Of course, its okay to just have a sexual relationship too, but it sounds like you are hoping its going to be more.
__________________
Anyone want to be friends on Facebook?
Send me your name via PM
My blog
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:00 PM.