Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Poly Relationships Corner

Notices

Old 06-23-2009, 03:54 PM

Default Mono, New to Poly and need a little help

First of all I'd like to say hello. I'm new here and to the Poly scene and really need some help with a problem.

I have been living with the same partner for almost 9 years (mono-mono). She has had for many years feelings that she was polyamorous and did not reveal these feelings to me until a couple months ago. She is BI and expressed a need to have women relationships, which we agreed was OK years ago, as long as there were no male sex relationships happening. I felt that at the time that if there was sex with a man needed that I was the one for the job. She completely agreed.

She recently came out and and said that she wanted man/woman relationships. We disagreed and we seperated. If we didnt seperate, she said she would do it anyway regardless. I felt my boundaries had been crossed and was not agreeable to the male aspect.

We have since been seeing each other as if we never parted, except she lives on her own and has 2 "secondary" male partners. We are still very close.

She expressed to me that she wants me to remain her life partner, albeit as the "primary". She expressed to me that the whole "package" was better that I had to offer and hands down wanted me to be the main squeeze. We want to work this out, except I have only one hang up.

I have given the lifestyle much thought, and have basically accepted it as an alternative to a monogamous lifestyle. I'm not against adapting to this new style of love.

My issue, and what I have come forward to ask is: Has anyone out there been in a situation where you felt O.K. with your partner having other relationships with the same sex, but couldn't bear them having one with the opposite sex?. I don't mean the love part, I mean the sex part.

It's not jealousy. It feels different. Almost a competetive feeling. The age old question comes to mind... What does he have to offer that I don't? If she isn't totally happy with the sex she is receiving from these other people, why do it at all?

I'd like to get past this very much so we can get on with our lives, hopes and dreams...

Thanks in advance!

Polyfx.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:00 PM

Without going into great detail my friend, I know exactly what you are feeling. You are not alone. I just want you to know that...and I totally agree with your reasons for seperating initialy. Now I will back away like a scared child LOL!
Old 06-23-2009, 04:05 PM

Based on your SN.. I can guess why.

Regardless of lifestyle, I am still a guy and am wired from the factory to be a certain way (on a different level than the lifestyle). After all poly/mono/fluid/whatever is are personal choices. This is more of a deep rooted thing.

I'm ready to change everything else but this is a really hard thing to do.

Can I be happy without the change and just moving ahead full speed... probably not.

I love this person in an uncommon unconditional way and am willing to work on it just the same.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:38 PM

Just to be clear, I have no issues with my Life Love having sex with her husband LOL! I have 100 percent compersion for that. I also have very little issue with another intimate friend of hers as he is a part of both there lives and cares for both of them legitimately. I am the "other" guy essentially. I have issues with the idea of her having sex with another "new" guy. But that is a long story and will put me somewhere that is not beneficial or relevant to what I have. There are others on here that can give much better and objective advice LOL
Take care

Last edited by MonoVCPHG; 06-23-2009 at 04:44 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:50 AM

I understand where you are coming from. It took me awhile to settle it for myself. Basically, I found the idea of my wife/gf having sex with another woman hot and different enough that it did not feel like competition to me. But if she was with another guy, I would worry about sorts of crap that society and culture teaches/preaches. Like the guy would try to steal her. Or he would try to lay claim on her. Or he would mock me for not being able to hold on to her. I know some guys who think along those lines.

The way I dealt with it was to realize that my wife/gf would not pick someone who would cause stress in our relationship. She would not choose a jerk who would try that macho crap on her.

I also really had to think about compersion as opposed to the cuckold view. I realized I could be happy if she was happy with another guy as long as he was making her happy.

What I think helps deal with some of this is to meet the other guys in a friendly social setting. It doesn't have to be a great bonding moment, but just enough to recognize each other as a metamore. Maybe it can turn into a friendship. However, they will be real guys to you that may not seem as threatening because you will see the common everyday flaws we all have instead of an idealized guy who sounds more threatening.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:33 PM

A couple of points/observations........For what it's worth, I think it's perhaps easier to deal with this issue when you are a little older (40's-50's) and more established in your primary love over many years and with a history behind you, moreso than just starting out in your 20's from scratch in a new relationship.......IMO.

My wife is lately having a very difficult time internally with our "V" and she can't quite put her finger on it...we've tried talking it out but have no concrete reasons/answers.....she believes her hangup to be around having to "compete" with the other woman in our "V" from a sexual or love standpoint. I have tried to reinforce to her numerous times that this is not a competition, merely different types of love, intimacy or sex that compliment what she and I have always had. I thought we had this issue addressed, but it recently reared it's head again. I sincerely would not have an issue if my wife wanted to have a poly relationship and/or sex with another man, if that's what would bring her the level of happiness/fulfillment she craves in her life. I would be happy for her. I suppose if I sensed that the other man was trying to steal her away from me, I might be upset, but I would have to trust that was not the issue. That trust I think can only be derived from time in a lengthy, loving relationship.