Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-04-2010, 03:32 AM
swheeler11 swheeler11 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 6
Default Looking for Interviews with Polyamorous Women

Have you been or are you currently in a consensual relationship with more than one partner, where all partners know about each other? Would you describe yourself or your relationship as polyamorous?

I am looking to interview women between the ages of 18-35 about their experiences in polyamorous relationships. I am especially interested in women from diverse race/ethnicities, social class backgrounds, and sexual identities. Participants must be currently living in the U.S. Interviews can be conducted in-person (if local to San Diego, California) or via e-mail.

All in-person interviewees will receive a $15 gift certificate to either Amazon.com or Barnes and Noble. E-mail participants will be entered into a lottery to win one of five $15 gift certificates to either Amazon.com or Barnes and Noble.

This is a research study being conducted as part of a Master’s thesis through San Diego State University. Your participation would be voluntary. You will be asked questions about your experiences with polyamory and its role in your life.

If interested, please contact Sarah Wheeler at swheeler@rohan.sdsu.edu with a short description about yourself (age, race/ethnicity, sexual orientation, etc.) and your current or most recent polyamorous relationship. Please also indicate whether you would like to participate via e-mail or in-person interview. Thank you for your interest!
__

(Mods, please let me know if this type of posting isn't allowed, or if this is the wrong location for it--I read the forum rules and didn't see anything about research inquiries, but I certainly don't want to annoy anyone!)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-04-2010, 03:50 AM
Fidelia Fidelia is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Right here. Right now.
Posts: 649
Default

Please describe the nature of the study you wish to conduct.
In particular: What is your thesis?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-04-2010, 04:11 AM
swheeler11 swheeler11 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 6
Default

Hi Fidelia,

My thesis intends to explore how women's polyamorous identities intersect with their other (racial, ethnic, sexual, etc.) identities, as well as how their participation in polyamory affects their membership in other communities.

Also, there is relatively little academic research on polyamory, and what exists tends to focus on middle-to-upper class, white, bisexual women--so I want to focus on less represented populations within the polyamory community, namely women of color, queer women, and working class women.

If you'd like, I can always post my list of interview questions as well.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-04-2010, 02:16 PM
GroundedSpirit GroundedSpirit is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New England USA
Posts: 1,231
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swheeler11 View Post

My thesis intends to explore how women's polyamorous identities intersect with their other (racial, ethnic, sexual, etc.) identities, as well as how their participation in polyamory affects their membership in other communities.

Also, there is relatively little academic research on polyamory, and what exists tends to focus on middle-to-upper class, white, bisexual women--so I want to focus on less represented populations within the polyamory community, namely women of color, queer women, and working class women.

If you'd like, I can always post my list of interview questions as well.
Hi Swheeler,

I might mention that if you want more real value other than a passing grade for a class from your research, you may want to consider dropping your age restrictions you originally posted.

I suspect that what you would find is that particular subset (broad generalization that should hold) will be a group that is still 'finding their way' in general - in life as well as polyamory. Correspondingly, you will likely find much corresponding with the mistakes, misunderstandings, lack of experience/knowledge etc. In other words, many of the struggles and horror stories so prevalent.

In order to get a broader understanding of where polyamory CAN lead longer term I think you may need to broaden your perspective.

Just an opinion - and we all know what they are worth..........

GS
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-04-2010, 10:45 PM
swheeler11 swheeler11 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundedSpirit View Post
Hi Swheeler,

I might mention that if you want more real value other than a passing grade for a class from your research, you may want to consider dropping your age restrictions you originally posted.

I suspect that what you would find is that particular subset (broad generalization that should hold) will be a group that is still 'finding their way' in general - in life as well as polyamory. Correspondingly, you will likely find much corresponding with the mistakes, misunderstandings, lack of experience/knowledge etc. In other words, many of the struggles and horror stories so prevalent.

In order to get a broader understanding of where polyamory CAN lead longer term I think you may need to broaden your perspective.

Just an opinion - and we all know what they are worth..........

GS
Hi GS,

I completely understand your perspective; however, like I mention above, I'm purposefully targeting a younger demographic because they are so underrepresented in academic research on polyamory. As with any study (especially those about polyamory, which has so many variations and such diversity), I wouldn't claim that my participants' perspectives represent all opinions of/experiences with polyamory, but I do think that valuable insight can come from any age range.

For it's worth, I plan to continue researching polyamory at the doctoral level as well--so this particular study merely represents a starting point for me, and not the full range of exploration I hope to do on the topic. Hope that clarifies it a bit more!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-05-2010, 12:19 AM
Livingmybestlife Livingmybestlife is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 136
Default

Your study is not a random sample and you need to be clear about that.
By limiting your age range, you are showing bias. I personally would find your word of queer women to be offensive. I think most people consider themselves lesbians.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-05-2010, 11:42 PM
openmarriagelove's Avatar
openmarriagelove openmarriagelove is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 17
Default

I sent you an email. I don't mind answering some questions. Cause of the nature of my business my emails tend to go to spam so I wanted to be sure to let you know to check there! Good luck with your thesis. (I didn't read to the end to see if you found enough so this may be fruitless
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-04-2010, 05:08 AM
ImaginaryIllusion's Avatar
ImaginaryIllusion ImaginaryIllusion is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,928
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swheeler11 View Post
__

(Mods, please let me know if this type of posting isn't allowed, or if this is the wrong location for it--I read the forum rules and didn't see anything about research inquiries, but I certainly don't want to annoy anyone!)
Appreciate the effort of at least checking first. Will let you know if there's an issue, but I don't anticipate any problems at this time.
__________________
“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.” - Chinese Proverb

-Imaginary Illusion

How did I get here & Where am I going?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-04-2010, 06:28 AM
redpepper's Avatar
redpepper redpepper is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,634
Default

40 and Canadian. otherwise I would gladly participate.

good luck.
__________________
Anyone want to be friends on Facebook?
Send me your name via PM
My blog
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-04-2010, 01:16 PM
Magdlyn's Avatar
Magdlyn Magdlyn is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Metro West Massachusetts
Posts: 3,668
Default

Why such young women? We older ones with grown children have more time (and energy) to play!
__________________
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

me: Mags, 59, living with:
miss pixi, 37
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
research, study

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:53 PM.