Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 12-24-2012, 07:17 AM

Default Politics and Love

Something I'm always intrigued by is how people tend to square politics with the people they love. I personally am an anarchist and that's a very big part of who I am, it informs a lot about the rest of me and its a big part of my outlook. I enjoy discussing and dialoging about political topics but I've run into a lot of people who are, effectively, a-political.

Having a strong opinion period makes dating a little harder and I was wondering how other people handle the inclusion of political thinking with their relationship, how do you handle a range of different possible opinions?

There's a granted lean to the left to be expected in the poly community at least on the basis of sexuality politics; I doubt you'll find too many poly people arguing against gay marriage.
I am as direct as a T-Rex with 'roid rage and about as subtle. It isn't intended to cause upset, I just prefer to talk plain. There are plenty of other people here who do the nice, polite thing much better than I can. I'm what you'd call a "problem dinner guest."
Old 12-24-2012, 02:56 PM

Default "Strong cup of coffee"

is how my husband describes me, although I really like your sig line as well. I find that people either love me or hate me, and if I were interested in dating in any broad sense, I think I'd get the political out of the way first.

Husband and I met surrounded by conservative Republicans, and our family considers us far-left hippies ...moved to our current city and *are* the conservatives, comparatively. The cute-girl in the signature is about as left as I can handle, and we talk about this stuff ALL the time. We don't agree on all of it, but that doesn't matter terribly much because my views and hers don't need to intersect most of the time.
Developed a fast and accidental crush on then-best-friend, CG (cute-girl) and world fell apart after telling said girl. Came here for advice and info in case it became a thing. It didn't, but the friendship exploded. Turned world a bit upside-down, hence the moniker. ::sigh::
Old 12-24-2012, 08:24 PM

Hmm. There are SO many things that folks can clash about: politics, religion, life philosophy, "lifestyle" (e.g., voluntary simplicity grounded in a radical green commitment vs "I want to drive a giant SUV and have three backyard swimming pools and a three thousand square foot house, electrically heated)....

And isn't is amazing how diverse we all are? I mean, wow!

Those are my two cents for the moment. Just the wow part.

River's Blog
Old 12-24-2012, 08:56 PM

My husband is Republican, my boyfriend is a Democrat. I have a peculariar wash of leanings that I think makes me what a Republican might have been at some point.
I don't want the gov't in my business. But, I tend to believe that what we should do at the individual level is much more democratic.
Shrug.

I try to let people be themselves and expect lovers to do the same for me.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:19 AM

I am pretty much a Centrist and not very political-minded, while my lover Lively is very Republican and quite passionate about that. Living in NYC, however, most people I meet are Democrats, and that's the viewpoint I grew up with. Still, someone's political leanings or party affiliation is not that important to me, because I have found that people can be either open-minded or narrow-minded regardless of their politics. If a person can have an intelligent discussion, accept that I have a differing viewpoint from theirs, and express their own views without getting heated, angry, or lecturing me about it, it's all good to me. Lively and I love talking about politics, though we disagree about a lot.

I take much more issue with people who are very religious and want to convert me, than people who have a different political stance than I.

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me.
~Bryan Ferry

Last edited by nycindie; 12-26-2012 at 02:10 AM.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:32 AM

I had a friend (not a romantic one) that I greatly enjoyed discussing politics with. He's a Democrat, I'm a Libertarian (I called him a Socalist, he called me an Anarchist). We were pretty much diametrically opposed on everything and had great fun, I think because, although we disagreed with each other's position at least those positions were internally consistent (as opposed to hypocritical).

I have a much harder time having political discussions with Dude - even though we agree on a great number of things. Mainly because what HE considers "news" and "evidence" (in terms of where he gets his information) I consider "propaganda" and "anecdote". As a skeptic I find it a lot harder to have a rational discussion with someone with an uninformed opinion that matches mine than someone with a well-thought out opinion that is opposed to mine.

I also enjoy discussing religion - I'm a very relaxed agnostic (I don't have any answers, just a lot of questions - which is fine with me, I'd rather have no answer than hang my hat on the wrong one). I find the very concept of "faith" to be highly problematic and love to ask people to explain their take on that to me. (That same Democrat that I mentioned earlier also happened to be Jewish - we had some lovely conversations on religion as well - even though he insisted on labeling me an "atheist").

It probably depends on what role politics or religion plays in a person's life and how it shapes their day to day decisions and activities - and whether they think that someone who holds the opposite opinion is "the enemy" (or going to "burn in hell forever").

JaneQ
Lotus: poly bi female, "it's complicated" relationships with Dude/JaneQ/MrS; married to TT, poly male
VV and MsJ: bi-women with male primaries, LTR LDR FWBs to JaneQ

My poly blogs on this site:
The Journey of JaneQSmythe
The Notebook of JaneQSmythe
Old 01-05-2013, 03:56 AM

Personally I am quite a-political. If it wasn't for the fact that all the people in offices large and small effect my personal life I would rather opt out of the drama and layers of lies and also lies of politics. I have two guys I am in a relationship with, and many years ago I asked my guy Ave to take over politics for me. Ave has the stamina to watch news programs and research politics on the internet, so then he gives me the extremely short version so I stay in the loop. Ave and I also tended to have identical viewpoints...and ever since I gave up my politcal views to him we do have identical viewpoints now.

With my other guy, we can have quite the difference of opinion on many topics. But I wouldn't let that interfere with our relationship (and he doesn't either). As long as no one gets personally offended or indigent at someone else's opposing viewpoint you can coexist. The world doesn't act that way but it is actually possible