Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Poly Relationships Corner

Notices

Old 08-13-2010, 08:20 PM

Default terms and definitions (?)

ok, so i have a few questions that hopefully someone can answer for me...

*what is a "cowgirl"? ....i consider myself a cowgirl because i ride horses and grew up on a ranch....is this the same thing at all? should i not refer to myself as a cowgirl? i mean, is it a bad thing?

*what does "pansexual" mean?
*what does "hetero-emotional" and "homo-emotional" mean?

i feel like a total doink asking.....but i haven't been able to find the answers in my own online searching....all this new "lingo" is kinda confusing and hard to remember!
Old 08-13-2010, 10:48 PM

Welcome.

I too am a cowgirl. A real one.

"cowgirl' is a slight term, demeaning concept, 'they' have come up with, to express the type of person who will 'lasso' *eye roll* a person from a exsisting poly relationship, to pull them into their own monogamous one.

This label they have decided to use, is in very poor taste, quite frankly. I see people who would object at a racist term, or even a hint of racism, sexism, or derrogatory names use this term as if it is of no consequence.

I heard the term 'poacher' for the exact same position the other day, and thing that is a better term. A poacher is not a positive thing in any realm. it is a label that is specific to a illegal or wrongful act.

I dont normally get hung up on labels and words at all, but seeing the double standard is baffling.

Maybe they figure only city people are poly ? I don`t know. I look forward to the responses.

Please don`t stop being who you are because someone created a new buzz word.

Last edited by SourGirl; 08-13-2010 at 10:51 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:51 PM

all the definitions are in here, glossary and definitions..... the sticky that comes with this forum...

http://www.polyamory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1720
Old 08-14-2010, 06:56 AM

thanks for the clarification, superjast. i appreciate it a lot. it's nice to meet another real cowgirl.
and wow, that is a very derogatory and offensive term. i think i prefer "poacher" as well, it is far more fitting than "cowgirl". who ever came up with that slang term obviously has never met a real cowgirl.
i know who i am (a gun-totin, spur-wearin, red-white-and-blue-blooded cowgirl to the core) and i have no intention of changing.

thank you, redpepper, for the info. i must have over looked the sticky page. my bad.

again, thank you both for the responses, it is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by indicca; 08-14-2010 at 07:41 PM.