Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Poly Relationships Corner

Notices

Old 06-23-2010, 03:45 PM

Default Anyone here not have a monogamous partner?

I see a lot of posts asking for advice on how to proceed when their partner is monogamous, I'm wondering if there's anyone here who is poly in all their relationships and with all poly people and has been that way from the beginning?

I figure at one point we've all been in monogamous relationships, but I'd really like to hear from people who have started as a single poly.

A lot of my issues came from just meeting people in the usual fashion, letting them know my feelings, some were okay with it at that point but as soon as we got serious it would always turn to how they couldn't deal with it if I wasn't mono. I'm really not looking for a repeat of that but I don't know how to avoid it outside of joining poly dating sites and trying to get into the local poly club and even then that puts me at a loss as I've never met any of my exes at a bar or through a dating site, it has always been during the course of a normal activity (or as normal as they get, I swear I've picked up about as many boyfriends through playing D&D or Mage as I have with other interests).
Old 06-23-2010, 06:08 PM

There are plenty of us who were poly when entering our current relationships. My wife was involved with a couple prior to meeting me. I'd had some mono an some open relationships prior to meeting her.

I don't think there's any guaranteed way to avoid the "poly repulsion" reaction. I just view it as part of the regular screening process. If a person can't even consider being involved in a poly tangle--while only having one partner in it and thus staying monogamous--then that person really isn't compatible at all and not worth considering further.

I have no problems with folks who only want a single relationship to deal with themselves and think they could have a place in a poly tangle. It's when they expect a partner to also only have a single relationship that they remove themselves from poly-compatible. I don't consider anybody who's not poly-compatible or outright poly to be a potential partner, much the same as I don't consider lesbians to be potential partners. They might be wonderful, attractive people--they just aren't for me and I don't lose sleep over it.

Although my first wife played D&D all those years ago, I can't say that I've ever met a single dating partner via gaming. Even freelancing in the industry never landed me a date.

While polyamory, open relationships, and swinging are all distinctly different approaches to non-monogamy, they are not mutually exlusive. Folks can, and some do, engage in more than one of them at a time--and it's all good.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:18 PM

the only relationship I started where we were both poly failed because she had asperger's syndrom and her full on dissociative disorder just killed me. I'm way too emotional for that.

I know 2 couples that are together that started out poly. The reason people set up forums like this though is because we're a minority, hence all the problems. Seems as though, unless you're in some sort of pagan or alternative circle, you're not really going to find super open awesome people :/ ...Unless you live in canada ;P
Old 06-23-2010, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpcrazy View Post
...Unless you live in canada ;P
Its a myth we are perpetuating on this site....

Pagans, roleplayers/comic fans, canadians or horny people......
Old 06-23-2010, 06:34 PM

To answer the question. I have not always been poly. I have always been open. With rules in place. For almost 11 years with my wife (gf for 9 of those)...we had an open relationship from the start. What can I say we both liked women.

Poly is new and we have both been poly for equal amounts of time. We both realized we loved the same girl. We have broken down some of our rules and are on slight divergent paths with similar end goals.

I do find people generally open to open relationships, but almost be fearful of poly. Its almost akin to cheating. If a girl thinks I am hiding something and cheating, I can find pickups easily. The minute they know my wife exists and knows...its not as exciting.

I am so far out of the gaming world I don't have ins. I used to pickup at d&d conventions when I was mono. I was a DM and didn't take shit from the players. Girls liked that. Haven't tried as a poly and honestly, I am not the same person I was. In my head that was part of my younger years, and better left there.

OKC has been a flop, fetlife has introduced me to lots of kinky people, but in those cases, I haven't been interested...
Old 06-23-2010, 06:56 PM

I think a lot of that is fear of commitment. Someone who is cheating isn't going to try to get you to commit to them.

I have some fear of commitment right now since I've been burned so many times with the "NM, I'm not poly-compatible" thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariakas View Post
I do find people generally open to open relationships, but almost be fearful of poly. Its almost akin to cheating. If a girl thinks I am hiding something and cheating, I can find pickups easily. The minute they know my wife exists and knows...its not as exciting.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:54 PM

LOL! I've been thinking of rejoining the SCA in hopes of finding more poly people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariakas View Post
Its a myth we are perpetuating on this site....

Pagans, roleplayers/comic fans, canadians or horny people......
Old 06-23-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredpsyche View Post
LOL! I've been thinking of rejoining the SCA in hopes of finding more poly people...
Well maybe you will find a poly pagan roleplaying canadian living in your area
Old 06-24-2010, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredpsyche View Post
You'll find lots of cheaters and relatively few poly folk, if your area is anything like this one.

Many more openly poly folk among the local Pagans and Burners.

While polyamory, open relationships, and swinging are all distinctly different approaches to non-monogamy, they are not mutually exlusive. Folks can, and some do, engage in more than one of them at a time--and it's all good.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpcrazy View Post
The reason people set up forums like this though is because we're a minority, hence all the problems.
This is an excerpt from an older post in this thread, but I wanted to comment on it anyway.

Exactly right!

As a minority, we are forging a whole new kind of minority culture, as well as finding and working our own way in a world that throws many additional challenges upon us precisely because of our minority status. Minority status is why we have to experiment so much, risk so much, reach so far, try so hard. That is, the challenges aren't so much about our being polyamorous, per se. That's relatively easy by comparison to being polyamorous combined with the myriad social confusions and expectations, etc....

We are ... well, innovators.