Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 08-28-2012, 04:10 PM

Default Single ladies, using the term "unicorn"

and putting yourself out there as one. Do you find that suddenly, it's assumed you are the mythical girl that so many couples are seeking?

I'm new to all the terminology but after reading maybe hundreds of profiles couples are putting out there; it certainly seems they are Way Way out there in their expectations!

So, I don't know about you ladies but to me so far many of these couples really believe the myth! Then they get mad and go away LOL

Jus wonnering..

Denise
Old 08-28-2012, 07:01 PM

I'm not single, but I've been in the position of being so and getting involved with coupled folks in various ways before. I would be really pissed off in anyone called me a "unicorn" because the connotations for unicorns (disposable, naive, being used) and unicorn hunters (self-centered, unrealistic, users) are all SO negative. For that same reason I definitely wouldn't claim that title for myself. Calling myself a unicorn would also imply that I'm looking to get involved with both members of a couple equally, and I would never want to make that call before meeting the couple in question and knowing for sure that 1) I actually had chemistry and compatibility with both of them, and 2) they actually had the space in their hearts and lives for the triad and the dyads that would then be created, which of course is so rare.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:53 AM

I agree, calling yourself a Unicorn implies a lot more than a single, bisexual female who wants a relationship with a couple.

Often it adds in an *exclusive* relationship where the couple stays dominant and only is with the single girl when it suits them. They make the rules, and the single girl is expected to live by them.

Yes, that's the stereotype, but you see it all too often, I'm afraid.

"Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf." - Native American Proverb
Old 08-29-2012, 05:57 AM

Default Apology

I sadly used the term "hunting" in a post long ago when I first discovered this whole community. Just wanna say sorry to all that offended. I met a girl and by far she was a life changing event and probably the most amazing girl I will ever fall in love with. Its not right to label her or any woman this. I will say in the end she was my beautiful muse, that inspired and made me feel more love for all of those around me.

Last edited by Mojo; 08-29-2012 at 06:01 AM.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:08 PM

I call myself a unicorn because it has been my fDP's term of endearment for me since long before we discovered the poly community.

I have to admit, learning the more negative terms associated with it (naive, pet, being 'hunted' etc) makes me really dislike it. I still let her call me that, because she has for such a long time (2 years +) and it has a totally diff meaning
But I'd probably stop referring to myself as such! (which means changing the title of my blog lol)
Old 08-29-2012, 09:11 PM

I call myself a unicorn in a lighthearted, joking way. I am a young, bisexual, polyamorous, reasonably attractive woman, and have been hit on by the "couple-seeking-third" more times than I can count.

I have absolutely no desire for this kind of relationship. I am a unicorn who is constantly hunted but doesn't want to be caught... this unicorn likes her freedom!
Old 08-29-2012, 10:11 PM

Thank you all for your very informative replies! I don't think... I know! I won't be calling me a unicorn!

Denise