Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: What are your views on porn?
I think that some porn is good and I watch some. 19 70.37%
I think that some porn is alright 4 14.81%
I think that porn is bad, but like an addict, I can't help watching some. 1 3.70%
I think that porn is bad and don't go near the stuff 0 0%
Other (please specify in replies to thread) 3 11.11%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-28-2012, 02:54 PM
Scott's Avatar
Scott Scott is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: near Toronto, Canada -.-
Posts: 240
Default Poly, Voyeurism and Porn

I just came across a video that brought up issues regarding porn in what seemed to be a pretty funny way. That being said, I think the points it brought up were pretty good. I've touched on the subject of porn briefly in the past, in the The crossover between Polyamory, Swinging and Sex work thread, but I'm thinking that it deserves a thread of its own, as I think it's a far more pervasive meme in our culture then polyamory, swinging and sex work combined.

For starters, I'm doing the poll above, but I would like more then just multiple choice responses; I'd like to hear lengthy explanations as to what you think of porn in general, whether you think all porn is bad, or if you (like me) think there's good (feminist even) porn and bad porn, and the qualities that make porn good or bad. Even the definition of porn itself is up for debate; what does porn mean to you and why do you define it this way?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-28-2012, 06:00 PM
km34 km34 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 624
Default

I tend to watch the higher-budget, bad plot line porn (like the Pirates ones).

I don't like the 100% sex, grungy looking stuff.

I don't think porn is bad in general. I think most people in the industry choose to be there, and by discriminating a wee bit about which companies you support you can feel pretty darn confident that there isn't any coercion going on. Think about how many porn performers in recent years have become almost brand-like (Jenna Jameson and Ron Jeremy off the top of my head). They are taking their sexuality and owning it. Nothing wrong with that. A lot of the bigger name performers are also highly educated people who have made the choice to go into a field that is very lucrative. I know Lexington Steele has at least one master's degree (possibly two?) and used to work on Wall Street.

(And right now I feel like I know a lot about porn stars... lol)

To me, porn is anything that actually portrays sex acts - masturbation, oral, PIV or anal intercourse. So, any videos that show the actual penis going somewhere or the actual vagina being stimulated = porn. Any books/magazines that describe sex acts in detail = porn. A movie that has a sex scene done under covers = not porn because it isn't explicitly shown to be happening, it is implied by their movements/other behaviors.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-28-2012, 07:23 PM
ThatGirlInGray ThatGirlInGray is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern Cali
Posts: 552
Default

What I tend to consider "good" porn is halfway decent production, safe and responsible responsible companies (I LIKE to see condoms used) and I generally like parodies that are poking fun of themselves as much as the original. I don't like porn that has really crappy production, takes itself too seriously, or portrays humiliating, violent, or other demeaning scenarios. I want the porn I watch to portray consensual fun, since that's what I practice and what I get off on.

ETA: A sense of humor, whether in porn or during sex, is a MUST. Porn is funny. Sex is funny. If you can't laugh at/during sex imo you're probably taking things WAY too seriously and not actually having fun, which is generally (as I see it) the point.
__________________
~~~~~~~~~
Pan Female, Hinge in a V between my mono (straight) husband, Monochrome and my poly (pan) partner, ThatGuyInBlack
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-28-2012, 07:49 PM
RainyGrlJenny's Avatar
RainyGrlJenny RainyGrlJenny is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Seattle
Posts: 173
Default

I don't really have a problem with porn. My personal tastes tend to run towards that which has a little more of a plot, at least a facade of romance, and usually features w/w or m/m action I'm not particularly kinky, and portrayal of non-consensual acts are not appealing to me either. I also enjoy amateur porn. I think real bodies with real people bumbling around having a good time and wanting to share it is very sexy.

However, I lean more towards erotic literature. I'm like that in general - I like movies, but I'd rather read a book.

Regardless, I think that, like much of the world, most porn is fine, produced by consenting adults who choose to be a part of that realm of entertainment. I think it would be a hoot to act in a porno! Unfortunately, I'm a teacher and have to be a little careful about that kind of thing, so it will have to wait until I retire. I wonder if there's a market for geriatric porn?

My definition of porn is a visual product (photo or video) where the main purpose is to incite or stimulate sexual feelings and behaviors.

BTW, my favorite part of that video you posted was the dancing dildos!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-29-2012, 01:39 AM
Scott's Avatar
Scott Scott is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: near Toronto, Canada -.-
Posts: 240
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyGrlJenny View Post
I don't really have a problem with porn. My personal tastes tend to run towards that which has a little more of a plot, at least a facade of romance, and usually features w/w or m/m action
Cool, heh :-). I too want a plot. But, so far atleast, the only plots that I've found to be really good are generally the unscripted ones; as in, they may be told 'ok, you're going to do a porn scene', but atleast one of the participants has license to kind of just ad hoc things. I also really enjoy some clearly amateur stuff where no one's on a script; the whole thing is spontaneous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyGrlJenny View Post
I'm not particularly kinky, and portrayal of non-consensual acts are not appealing to me either.
Same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyGrlJenny View Post
I also enjoy amateur porn. I think real bodies with real people bumbling around having a good time and wanting to share it is very sexy.
Aye :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyGrlJenny View Post
However, I lean more towards erotic literature. I'm like that in general - I like movies, but I'd rather read a book.
I really have liked some erotic literature but I've found that it's really hard to find erotic literature that I like. I'm a (non paying) member of storiesonline.net. I hadn't checked it out in a while, but I decided to give it another try today and yeah, there is some good stuff there for sure. Still, I think I like to vary it a bit; some reading, some video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyGrlJenny View Post
Regardless, I think that, like much of the world, most porn is fine, produced by consenting adults who choose to be a part of that realm of entertainment. I think it would be a hoot to act in a porno! Unfortunately, I'm a teacher and have to be a little careful about that kind of thing, so it will have to wait until I retire. I wonder if there's a market for geriatric porn?
There definitely is, lol :-). I've thought that, on the whole, we want to see people in porn who we can relate to (or atleast I do), and I personally would much rather see porn of people who I actually -know- instead of strangers; never happened but maybe one day. The famous 'home recording' thing perhaps, lol :-). I guess a lot of people worry about a vengeful ex posting it online; not something I personally would ever do though; if I dislike something a partner did, I'd mention -that-, not upload something that had nothing to do with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyGrlJenny View Post
My definition of porn is a visual product (photo or video) where the main purpose is to incite or stimulate sexual feelings and behaviors.
Hm.. so could movies that don't show penises going places still qualify as porn for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyGrlJenny View Post
BTW, my favorite part of that video you posted was the dancing dildos!
Lol :-).
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-29-2012, 02:02 AM
km34 km34 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 624
Default

I don't really agree that consent has to be obvious in the film itself. Some BDSM play and such doesn't have visual consent during the act - it is pre-discussed. So, films portraying that sort of interaction would want to have a true feel to it.

What about rape fantasies? Making a porn that portrays a fake rape isn't actually rape. It's someone agreeing to act like he/she is being violated while actually engaging in a consensual sex act for the camera.

I have no desire to watch either of those kinds of porn, but I don't have a problem with them being made and put out there for people who enjoy watching that kind of stuff.


Oh, and the Pirates ones I mentioned earlier -

Pirates XXX and Pirates II: Stagnetti's Revenge are fairly well-made films - they actually released versions that were rated R by taking out the sex scenes. Not a movie I'd watch just because (I mean, porn actors aren't really known for their ability to act in non-sexual scenes), but good.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-28-2012, 08:01 PM
Tonberry Tonberry is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,383
Default

What I like the most is actually reading porn, not watching it. But your question was about watching so I'll focus on that.

I do watch porn, although not very often. I need to be in the right mood for it. In my opinion, porn is good if you don't abuse it, like most of life's pleasures. For instance studies show that porn availability correlates with decrease in rapes.
Not that I think most people would rape others to begin with, but it fits with my use for it, which is for release when I'm under sexual pressure.

It differs from my enjoyment of written porn, which I do for completely different reasons. I feel like all books should have the sex scenes in them, so to me erotic books are just the way normal books should be. Same with movies, really, I have always found it weird when the whole point of a story or plot point is the relationship between two people, and when they finally get together it's cut the second they start kissing, then we see them after the fact.
If it's relevant to the story, why do you cut it out? It feels to me like replacing every marriage scene with them arriving in the car, then leaving in the car the next second, skipping the character development that could happen in the meantime.

But for movies, I understand that actual people are involved, so I find it less of a problem. For books, though, cutting it out feels to me like I'm reading the censored version of a better book. It annoys me.

Sadly, erotic books can have the opposite problem of being focused too much on sex, but fortunately, not all of them do, often it's a very minor part of the story.

For all media, I have an issue with finding things that do it for me. Books written for women tend to have an emphasis on cunnilingus or fingering, neither of which I like, and lack fellatio, which is my favourite. Videos tend to feature men who don't look enough like men I know to allow me to fantasize about them (I'm usually too busy thinking about how much these huge penises would hurt me) and lack focus on the men's faces as they orgasm, and the males aren't noisy enough.
For visual porn, I also prefer material that doesn't feature females. I started by watching handjob videos, and in one of them there was a second man who started giving a blowjob, and I suddenly realised that gay material would be perfect... I thought. It still tends to emphasize big penises and show the penis at the time of climax rather than the face.

Also for all media, they tend to lack realism. The erotic books tend to have idealized pink unicorn versions of sex where the woman always comes several time, the last at the same time as the guy, and the videos or comics tend to have very specific body types that aren't that common, and cut off some important parts. And neither have nearly enough fumbling around and laughing about it.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-28-2012, 08:07 PM
ThatGirlInGray ThatGirlInGray is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern Cali
Posts: 552
Default

Quote:
and cut off some important parts
*snerk!* I really hope you mean cut OUT some important parts!
__________________
~~~~~~~~~
Pan Female, Hinge in a V between my mono (straight) husband, Monochrome and my poly (pan) partner, ThatGuyInBlack
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-28-2012, 08:11 PM
Tonberry Tonberry is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,383
Default

Haha sorry, it's not my first language and prepositional verbs are one of the difficult things for me to get right. I did mean cut out, yes
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-29-2012, 01:59 AM
Scott's Avatar
Scott Scott is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: near Toronto, Canada -.-
Posts: 240
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonberry View Post
What I like the most is actually reading porn, not watching it. But your question was about watching so I'll focus on that.
Actually, I didn't mean to imply that I was just interested in porn videos/pictures. I'm glad that you mentioned your primary interest in erotic literature, as have others, it's actually made me think about it again after a fairly long hiatus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonberry View Post
I do watch porn, although not very often. I need to be in the right mood for it. In my opinion, porn is good if you don't abuse it, like most of life's pleasures. For instance studies show that porn availability correlates with decrease in rapes.
Not that I think most people would rape others to begin with, but it fits with my use for it, which is for release when I'm under sexual pressure.
I find that I'm under sexual pressure or what not almost every night, laugh :-). I also think it's great. This doesn't mean that it could ever replace having a real partner, but as the old saying goes, "beggars can't be choosers", and porn, whether literature or video/pictures, is a hell of a lot better then nothing at all in my book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonberry View Post
It differs from my enjoyment of written porn, which I do for completely different reasons. I feel like all books should have the sex scenes in them, so to me erotic books are just the way normal books should be. Same with movies, really, I have always found it weird when the whole point of a story or plot point is the relationship between two people, and when they finally get together it's cut the second they start kissing, then we see them after the fact. If it's relevant to the story, why do you cut it out? It feels to me like replacing every marriage scene with them arriving in the car, then leaving in the car the next second, skipping the character development that could happen in the meantime.
I couldn't agree with you more :-). Unfortunately, because of the society we live in, that's not to be for conventional fair; if you don't want a triple x or what not rating, you've got to follow "the rules".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonberry View Post
But for movies, I understand that actual people are involved, so I find it less of a problem. For books, though, cutting it out feels to me like I'm reading the censored version of a better book. It annoys me.
Yeah. You know, though, sometimes authors are pretty good at slighly putting in some sexual stuff that you'd think wouldn't make it past the censors. I'm thinking of the ending to "His Dark Materials" Trilogy, which my niece gave to me. For those not familiar with the series, the first book was made into a kids movie:
The Golden Compass (trailer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonberry View Post
Sadly, erotic books can have the opposite problem of being focused too much on sex, but fortunately, not all of them do, often it's a very minor part of the story.
Agreed. I've really liked the work of C(elia) S. Friedman. Not too many sex scenes, but when she does them, they're -good- :-). I've read almost all of her work, though I skipped the book that she did as part of someone else's series (I only want to read Celia's work, not her work in someone else's series -.-).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonberry View Post
For all media, I have an issue with finding things that do it for me. Books written for women tend to have an emphasis on cunnilingus or fingering, neither of which I like, and lack fellatio, which is my favourite. Videos tend to feature men who don't look enough like men I know to allow me to fantasize about them (I'm usually too busy thinking about how much these huge penises would hurt me) and lack focus on the men's faces as they orgasm, and the males aren't noisy enough.
Yeah, video really seems to focus on the women most of the time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonberry View Post
For visual porn, I also prefer material that doesn't feature females. I started by watching handjob videos, and in one of them there was a second man who started giving a blowjob, and I suddenly realised that gay material would be perfect... I thought. It still tends to emphasize big penises and show the penis at the time of climax rather than the face.
I think that once again, it may be focused for a male audience that generally tends to like that type of thing. Now I -am- a male, but I tend to want to -also- see a woman's face, not just 'neck down' or what not. For a long time, I've thought that the best thing to be able to see in a climax and at many other points is facial expressions and eyes of the person you're attracted to, as well as the sounds (real ones, not edited in later).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonberry View Post
Also for all media, they tend to lack realism. The erotic books tend to have idealized pink unicorn versions of sex where the woman always comes several time, the last at the same time as the guy, and the videos or comics tend to have very specific body types that aren't that common, and cut off some important parts. And neither have nearly enough fumbling around and laughing about it.
Agreed, laugh :-). I'm willing to forgo that if it's still pretty good though ;-).
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:02 AM.