Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Life stories and blogs

Notices

Old 03-24-2010, 10:49 AM

Default The Science of Feeling Good

There has to be some sort of trick to it, something to uncover that makes it easier--or at least more possible--to feel good.

As a bit of background, I have to say that I honestly don't know of a time in my life when I've felt completely well. I'm a complex tower of physical, psychological, and physiological problems. I have always been overweight, and massively so. I've had lifelong issues with allergies, asthma, gastric disorders, hormonal imbalance, depression, and insomnia. At any point, at least one of these issues (or something else that I have yet to discover) has been bothering me.

I can take some medications to help with some of these issues, but things like the depression only feel better when I'm at a good place in life. One of the problems is, things don't often feel good in my life because I'm so exhausted and dogged down by my health issues that I let things--friendships, opportunities, chances to have some fun and adventure--slip by.

So, I'm working from the ground up. Trying to sort things out, get my health in order so I can concentrate on getting back to grad school, getting out of my shitty retail management job, and actually building the life I want for myself.

So I'm outlining plans for getting there, one step at a time. Changing the little things. I guess all I want from a blog is this: a place to keep my thoughts in order, a place where I can bitch about the process, and hopefully a little help from people in holding me accountable for this. I'm good at making plans and not seeing them through (largely because this illness/stasis thing that plagues me.)

Any support or prodding in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Kori's simple changes for a better life:
--See a doctor (I have an appointment on Friday) and be persistent about getting things taken care of. Get the workups to make sure that I'm not having any sort of endocrine/metabolic/blood sugar issues.
--Less processed food. It's getting into the growing season anyway. I will live for my local farmer's market.
--Cut back on soda. I had been drinking a 2-liter of diet pepsi every day. This cannot possibly be good. Substituting tea, because I cannot drink water for some reason.
--Kashi and home-made oatmeal instead of Froot Loops.
--Eat 1 cup of yogurt daily.
--Skim milk instead of 1%.
--30 minutes of fresh air daily, minimum.
--Try my best to leave work at work and not fret about it when I'm off the clock.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:37 PM

Good luck with your life changes. It is possible. Start with one change at a time and chose the change that is easiest for you to make. Success will help you stick to it. I was realizing yesterday (because I'm at a conference where we're talking about change) how long it has taken me to get to where I am today. 10 years ago I was overweight and thought that a block and a half was a long walk. Now I'm at a place where activity is a natural part of my life and making healthy choices when I eat isn't a chore anymore. I did it by making one change at a time and getting used to that before moving on to something else.

Also keep us posted with how you're doing. Having a group to offer support is always a good thing. All the best

-Derby
Old 03-24-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by korindino View Post

Kori's simple changes for a better life:
--See a doctor (I have an appointment on Friday) and be persistent about getting things taken care of. Get the workups to make sure that I'm not having any sort of endocrine/metabolic/blood sugar issues.
--Less processed food. It's getting into the growing season anyway. I will live for my local farmer's market.
--Cut back on soda. I had been drinking a 2-liter of diet pepsi every day. This cannot possibly be good. Substituting tea, because I cannot drink water for some reason.
--Kashi and home-made oatmeal instead of Froot Loops.
--Eat 1 cup of yogurt daily.
--Try my best to leave work at work and not fret about it when I'm off the clock.
Thanks for sharing this Korindo
I like the things you listed above because they are so possible and realistic! Too many people try to go on diets as opposed to changing their dietary choices if you know what I mean. One is short term, the other long term.

Sounds like you have really done your homework.

Diet soda, although lacking in the sugar of others, is till an appetite stimulator which leads to the desire to eat so it's a great choice in reducing that in my opinion.

I have Kashi and yogurt every morning and I feel great and it's yummee! (yogurt is my icecream)

Skim milk all the way!

Fresh air and leaving work at work...priceless

Here's to you achieving everything you want

Playing the Game of Life with Monopoly rules.
Monogamy might just be in my genes

Poly Events All Over

Last edited by MonoVCPHG; 03-24-2010 at 08:30 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoVCPHG View Post

Here's to you chieving everything you want
Seconded. You have a great, realistic list there and the right attitude toward creating your own happiness

BTW, "chieving" is my new favorite word, Mono! Takes some of the seriousness out of our goals and ambitions, no? HA!
-R

I love Catfish and Charlie.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rarechild View Post
"chieving" is my new favorite word, Mono!
-R
OMG I spelled that word wrong LOL! But then I edited it before reading this..haha!

Playing the Game of Life with Monopoly rules.
Monogamy might just be in my genes

Poly Events All Over
Old 03-25-2010, 05:45 AM

Look into Buddhism.

Seriously.

They know a lot about changing bringing out your Inner Self, the Divine within you.

It doesn't matter how many external things you change about your life. All the fresh air and green tea in the world won't make your life better unless you change from within.

"Love is not breathlessness, it is not excitement, it is not the promulgation of promises of eternal passion. That is just being "in love" which any of us can convince ourselves we are. Love itself is what is left over when being in love has burned away, and this is both an art and a fortunate accident. " -- Louis de Bernières
Old 03-25-2010, 05:58 AM

Default Day 1 of better choices

First of all, I want to thank everyone for your outpouring of positivity and support. I need every bit of help I can get. Stoicism is one of my major downfalls.

I should explain why I'm doing this now, after I've tried and failed before. It's a combination of little things.

Work has been more than a little stressful lately. A visit from our area manager a few weeks ago has left my boss in a position where she's scared for her job--and that high-strung, nagging feeling she has about it is getting passed onto us. I'm finally getting a weekend after 9 days back to back at work, 9 days in which I got further and further behind in my monthly goals. I was on my feet 9 hours a day, running around like a mad chicken, only to get chewed out for all the things I had missed or accidetally overlooked--and ignored for everything I did well.

I realized at that moment that while my dream of going back to grad school and moving on to teaching was there, I haven't taken a damned step towards it since I left college last July. I realized I needed to move towards that, but for the last few months I've found myself so physically and mentally exhausted that I haven't put forth any of the effort needed. I know that I have something yet undiagnosed. Lately I've been feeling huge highs and lows around meals--I'm dizzy and exhausted and withdrawn when I'm hungry, and after eating I have intense headaches and nausea. I never have any energy, and while I know part of it is my diet, I sometimes wonder if my body isn't processing what I eat correctly.

This is part of what is leading me to make these changes. The other part is that I cleaned out my fridge the other day. It was shocking. I had three heads of lettuce, a bag of carrots, some leeks, a head of broccoli, and three tomatoes that had all been left to rot while I was eating banquet meals and fast food instead. After cleaning the fridge, here's what I had left: ketchup, mayo, chocolate syrup, three plastic lemons full of lemon juice, a gallon of milk, some leftover chinese takeout, and five bags of shredded cheese.

This is all part of spring cleaning for me.

Today's smart and productive decisions:
-bought new produce--including bagged salad because it eliminates the "prep work" excuse.
-brewed some tea and iced it for work instead of my traditional 2-liter.
-packed some chicken and rice soup and whole wheat crackers for dinner at work today instead of eating mall food.
-Kashi for breakfast.
-did some dishes instead of sleeping in.

Slips/areas for improvement
-frozen pizza for dinner last night, ate the leftovers as late-night snack/next-day lunch.
-didn't eat my yogurt.
-didn't get my 30 minutes of fresh air. (Will sleep with a window open tonight though to air out the apartment/get a little freshness.)
-bought a pretzel when I stopped to get a cup of ice on my way into work.
-ate cereal for dinner. Definitely behind on my proteins today.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:03 AM

May I make a suggestion?
Having gone from 216 down to 152 in the last 2 years I found a few things that were VERY helpful.

First-join www sparkpeople.com

It's free and it's got a LOT of helpful parts/pieces to it.

track your food/drinks PERFECTLY. Seriously-I did that and it was a HUGE difference.
There is a tracker on sparkpeople for food/drinks/water/activity.

Start slow with working out-but be consistent. Pick things that don't SEEM like a new workout-log 'em. Like walking to the mailbox, or walking around the yard, do leg lifts while you watch tv....

See if you can manage the water if you use some lemon in it and have it over ice.
Every time you feel hungry-if you drink a glass of water ( I always do iced with lemon) first-then eat after, you will eat less. We often eat too much because we eat when our bodies are actually thirsty.

Commit to no soda by (pick a date) like they do with cigarettes. That one is hard for most people, but soda is a killer for the body in LOTS of ways.

Also-if you like to read, check out the book "the china study". It's frightening but very helpful in regards to health issues regarding food.

Feel free to PM me-I'm healing right now from surgery-but I'm pretty serious about my health too and it's been a lot of work, but I am making great progress. You can too!!

Last edited by ImaginaryIllusion; 03-26-2010 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Link Removal
Old 03-24-2010, 05:14 PM

I for one can understand a lot of what you are saying and going to do here. Athough never considered "massively" overweight, I have been at least 50 -75 lbs more than what is considered healthy for a long time. Good ol' puberty took away my high metabolism. lol I have also had health problems from asthma to bad knees and back which make exercise painful. But I'd like to leave you some of my thoughts and what I've found to help me and my quest for health and happiness with my body.

Quote:
Very important, but what is also important is having a Doc you trust to help you do what you need. Make sure you get along with the doc and they want to work with you or find a new one, if possible.

Quote:
The trick I learned for my own weight loss was not just what I ate, but how much. When hubby would cook dinner some nights, he would make enough for 3 servings, one for each of us and one for leftovers. I tended to eat that 3rd serving with dinner more often than not because I always felt hungry still. That came to a fast end (simple change). The other change was with my fast food habits. Whopper Jr., not Whopper, Apple Fries/Dippers, not French fries (unless craving, I am preggo after all), Grilled Snack Wraps instead of Filet-o-Fish...those kinds of changes really did help a lot.

Quote:
First, have to say, I cannot drink water either. Makes me nauseated unless I am getting really dehydrated. Second, I had a 24 pack of Dew every 3 days habit...I am now down to one can a day (those mini cans just didn't have enough caffeine for me). I try to get juice or milk when we eat out.
Tea is great, juice, milk, lemonade/limeade...more natural ingredients than fillers.

Quote:
My psych told me of a gentleman in New York, in an attempt to get me to start getting outside and getting more exercise, who was overweight and very out of shape. He bought himself a cheap bicycle and started by just going around the block once a day as that was all he could manage. Neighbors were not kind and laughed (big guy on bike and all). After a week or two he was able to manage two blocks...etc. His neighbors stopped laughing and would wave or applaud even after time and they started seeing how much he was changing. Point of the story, slow and steady improvements work. Start with a walk around the block, if that is easy then move to block and a half or two (we have an alley in back so half blocks are possible) and then keep increasing. Switch it up a little and change blocks.

Quote:
Good luck with this one. Hubby has been working on this one for some time now. Unfortunately, while at work he thinks of problems at home, while at home he thinks of problems at work and he can't seem to figure out a way to switch them.

As we all know these changes are possible as people do them all the time. I find it is keeping with the change and not falling back into comfort zones that really bogs me down. Well, that and getting pregnant.