Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Fireplace

Notices

Old 04-25-2012, 04:35 PM

Default Portable bed ideas

Ok

When I visit my partner at her home we don't sleep in her bed and they have limited space available and no formal guest room.

We have a terrific sex life and have basically destroyed a futon frame, and gone through about a half a dozen air mattresses in the past couple of years .... Mostly they leak slowly and we must re-pump or end up on the floor.

Has anyone got some good ideas and or experience with a functional bed that can be stored away when not in use?

I considered some of the BYO-bed designs but some are inflatable mattress units that I fear wouldn't be something one could use once or twice a week without fear ... Etc.

Thanks
Old 04-25-2012, 08:10 PM

How much room is there to store this portable bed?

There are foldable memory foam mattresses that are easily stored, but still take up a bit of space. I've used one that was "MemorRest" brand and it was lovely, but I don't remember if it would comfortably sleep 2 adults - if you go that route, you may need 2 next to each other.

That's all I could think of that wouldn't rely on a frame or being inflated to keep it up.

Keith and I actually stopped having sex on our old bed because we were wearing down the frame... Have you considered just changing the location of your sex so that the place you sleep survives?
Old 04-26-2012, 01:28 AM

I saw a design for a bed that could be taken apart. It was a modern take on an old design used by nobility when on campaign. Collapses down, the frame that is, into roughly 6 boards and a piece of plywood or two. Just add a mattress and your set. I'll see what I can do about digging up the how to for it. My friend uses one when he goes to period events and uses an old futon mattress in it .
Old 05-01-2012, 06:44 PM

Totally off topic...but I read the header to this thread as

Portable bad ideas

and my first thought was Justin Bieber on a '70s-style boom box.

Outsider, there are inflatable beds that have these inflation/deflation control dials built in which you can use to harden or soften the mattress...which comes in very handy IME during various play activities. In fact they can be built into the play session; it can be really...amazing...how a difference in surface resistance can enhance many sensations/movement options.

The really sturdy/herky ones will cost a bit...but in my experience with one or more partners, they hold up so to speak.

Boyd Specialty Sleep makes a portable bed frame:
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c...utm_medium=cse

Not sure how easily deployable that is, and you'd still need a mattress/squishy thing.

The only other option I can think of is a Murphy bed. For example:
http://www.murphybedsonline.com/prod...product-search

I'd be inclined to build it myself.

Last edited by Nudibranch; 05-01-2012 at 06:48 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:42 PM

just a bit of an update

Most of the ideas here we considered .... in the end a 3'' Memory foam seemed to work out best. it rolls up small enough to fit a rubbermaid container when not in use ...... it serves as a terrific play area and a comfortable place to sleep as well.