Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 02-22-2010, 06:49 PM

Question Symbols of commitment

http://www.polyamorysociety.org/band.html

Here is a link to a commitment bracelet but I was wandering if anyone had other suggestions on commitment trinkets. The link listed above is a good concept but its a little over the top for my liking as it involves kids and over time it will become unwearable.

I want to do something that represents the poly lifestyle yet is subtle enough for the work place. I want us all to wear these the way a married couple wears wedding rings.

Your thoughts are very appreciated.

thanks
Old 02-23-2010, 03:22 PM

I personally like the idea of braided metal. I've seen it in gold rings. Its permanent intertwined annd held in place with one solid bond. But I think that a symbol of commitment is something that each group should work on together. Maybe you could have a brainstorminng date. Everyone do a little googly moogly (as I like to call it hehe) and you may come out with a combination of everyone's designs and could find a jeweler to merge the idea together... That could be pricey, but its and idea. Or you could get the creative juices flowing and combine different pieces to form one without having a jeweler start from scratch. It doesn't have to scream poly. It could simply be a reminder of each individual in your commitment.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:26 PM

Maybe puzzle rings?

They're made out of 4-6 bands of silver that are technically separate but interconnected and not welded together.

And they're cheap compared to a lot of other jewellery... readily available at your local silver kiosk at the mall...

Or, depending on how your family feels about necklaces (a lot of people don't like them), you could get ones with a matching pendant that you all like.

The most dangerous phrase in the English language is "we've always done it this way."
Old 02-24-2010, 12:49 AM

The four of us have matching bands.

I've always liked the puzzle rings and when Kitten saw them she did as well. Our guys bought each of us one.

There is poly jewelry available. I thought about having the guys buy me a necklace to represent the v I'm in with them. But I think I want to buy it myself as a symbol to show them what it means to be the hinge to me. As a symbol of something I, myself, am declaring.

I happen to wear both the band we all have alike and the puzzle ring on the same finger. Kitten wears them on different hands. Just personal preferences there.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:21 AM

Thumbs up

Thank you for all your suggestions I will take all your thoughts into consideration.

I was looking at a bracelet that looks like a wedding band and because its a flat surface so I was thinking about engraving terms that are important to a good relationship.

Example: Communication*Trust*Honesty....etc
Old 03-01-2010, 11:01 PM

mobiusproductsandservices go to their website

Good stuff...I would like to know what you would have engraved on it.

Last edited by polytriad; 03-02-2010 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:48 PM

We used a Celtic trinity knot or triquetra. I happened to have a tattoo of one when we met her, and it just became our thing.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:39 PM

Perhaps some kind of geometric pattern that shows your actual configuration, circles/squares connected with lines. Obviously you wouldn't be able to display actual male or female symbols without giving it away. I guess that would have to be a brooch or something, don't know what the guys would wear.

It's definitely possible to do this kind of stealth thing. The Invisible Pink Unicorn is a stealth symbol of atheism, and the logo design is very stylized, looking only vaguely like an actual unicorn. I've worn an IPU t-shirt around my fundamentalist mom and she didn't have a clue. She didn't even ask, but if she had I would have told her it was from a video game or something. Or a logo for a company I did contract work for.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...nk_unicorn.svg

Last edited by jackrabbit; 03-14-2010 at 07:43 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:04 PM

Smile

there were a few occasions my ex partner and i discussed symbols of commitment, one thing that came up was rings.
i never really looked into it and neither did he but on that note since you started a discussion on it i looked online about it and here's and idea
maybe something with Celtic knots perhaps? they have various meanings a cpl of the popular interpretations of this design include
Past, Present, Future
and
Power, Intellect, Love
I've also know it to simply symbolize "forever"
here is one such ring (but I've also seen the symbol on various other jewelery.)

Search for: Doolin Craft Triple Knot ring with amethyst stone

Last edited by NeonKaos; 03-23-2010 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Link Removal
Old 03-23-2010, 07:23 PM

Exclamation Link Policy Reminder

Just a reminder to all members:

In accordance with site guidelines, Non-poly related Commercial Links are not permitted in public threads on the forum.

We know it's tempting in a thread such as this...so if you want to direct someone to a particular product, or site, please direct them to it in the form of a company name, or search term that they can use to locate it.

Don't hesitate to ask a moderator if you have any questions.

Thanks for your cooperation in our never ending war on spam.

-ImaginaryIllusion

-Imaginary Illusion

How did I get here & Where am I going?

Last edited by ImaginaryIllusion; 03-23-2010 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Title