Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Poly Relationships Corner

Notices

Old 02-10-2012, 09:17 AM

Default mono partner not ok with me being poly unless triad

Look I love my partner of 6 years but I'm always crushing on other people. It's frustrating the hell out of me because he is not ok with me being poly unless it's an almost impossible triad situation with another woman
My issue is that I am pansexual and ill always be curious about relationships with other people I can't gaurentee I'll only ever love one other woman. He goes away for weeks at a time for work and I never cheat on him but I'm always frustrated that he doesn't seem to get my sexuality and or natural curiousity. Not that any of this matters anyway I'm prob just being a selfish cow lmao I just really wanted to vent!
Old 02-10-2012, 11:51 AM

You're not a selfish cow.

Your partner needs to work on his jealousy issues. And if he wants sex with another woman, he should get his own damn woman and not assume he is welcome (by you OR her) to glom onto yours.
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

There's no lying in polyamory!

I'm a 58 year old woman with 2 partners:
miss pixi, my live-in gf, 36 (together since Jan '09)
Ginger, bf, 61, married, lives nearby (together since Jan '12)
Old 02-10-2012, 07:42 PM

Sounds like he's looking for polyfidelity and you're not. That might be a good place to start some intense discussions.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:10 PM

So he's demanding that you join him in a unicorn hunt if you want to be poly. Bleh bleh bleh. There are a ton of writings out there about why this is not necessarily the best approach to poly, maybe you could find some and share them with him. Why does he insist it has to be that way? To prevent jealousy? It absolutely will not do that.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:19 PM

For the record I have nothing against polyfi or FMF triads. I just hate the insistence on a particular relationship structure when you haven't even met the person or persons you might be interested in yet. It just leads to so many painful and frankly silly situations. For instance, what if you guys do meet an awesome woman who likes you both a lot and you start dating but then in the bedroom she clicks with you but not with him and wants to date you but stay friends with him. Since it's not his magical-triad-of-sharing ideal does that mean you and she have to break up?
Old 02-11-2012, 06:14 AM

You might want him to read here on "unicorns," "triads" and other tags of the like. It sounds like he doesn't quite get it.... time to educate?
Old 02-11-2012, 06:20 AM

Sounds like he simply doesn't want a partner that shares themself wih someone else. He's given you the almost possible to achieve situation because he knows it's almost impossible...looks like a compromise but really he's probably just saying "No".

Playing the Game of Life with Monopoly rules.
Monogamy might just be in my genes

Poly Events All Over