Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Poly Relationships Corner

Notices

Old 12-30-2009, 02:01 PM

Angry Career Guy Looses Out to Broke Drug Dealer? Why?

I'm 34, no children, minority (mixed blk/native which may matter), working on my own business, with prospects to acquire a license to practice law internatinally soon (UK Solicitorship)... and a young woman (ok a little more younger) and I were getting along just fine; nothing sexual or anything just yet (just getting the relationship started, but thats not the point), and in the mean time I'm working on moving into a house (in an more upscale location, etc. etc.)... and long story short she decides to go out with a drug dealer who is obviously not very good at dealing drugs, has no job to suppliment, and cant drive because he's a dui...

My question is, even women my own age and throughout my life (even one i married (yes once married for 10 months) sad i know already haha), i've always lost out to the drug dealer and the other scoundrols like that.. the women want them.. then they always come back to me wanting me to raise the resulting children with them... it seems no one wants to have children with me, but they sure the hell want me to raise "their's".... Why?

I'm good looking, well spoken, strong... but most say my personality is intimidating (in the "business man powerful type sense"), , intelligent (in both the negitive and positive sense of the words)... (just to be fair and well rounded here)

(any advice is very very much welcome and appreciated!)

I want to avoid going through this anymore, but from nerdy girls to bad girls, and everything inbetween i can never get it right, this always happens; seems like i'm gonna continue this unless i'm willing to clean up the mess of some loosers enjoyment.... unfortuneately for me, i'm not willing to accept footing the bill on someone elses party (emotionally, socially, and financially- which btw is actually the easiest of the three).. whats wrong with me?

(is it really i'm just choosing the wrong women? (or, whats more likely is that its me, and I'm the ass or the one who is wrong...?) even through i've dated all kinds of women (educated, not so, younger, older, wiser, dumber, street smart and street born, non-street anything, nice, mean, lier, honest, and all inbetween)... Is there any other example of this with anyone you may know, please do tell me what the result of what i'm going through is??? (a lonely old man, or a man who figures it out eventually?) Soooo many questions...

Signed,
"Angry, and pathetic"

Last edited by will; 12-30-2009 at 04:01 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by will View Post
Ifrom nerdy girls to bad girls, and everything inbetween i can never get it right
<SNIP>
and financially- which btw is actually the easiest of the three).. whats wrong with me?
There are "the same types of women" in all those categories... but it sounds like all the women you've chosen have one thing in common: they like rich guys who take care of them. Believe it or not, that does NOT describe all women!

Quote:
Originally Posted by will View Post
[I](is it really i'm just choosing the wrong women?
Pretty much, yeah...

I've never found truly rewarding relationships ANY TIME that I was "looking for something." But the moment I STOPPED looking, happiness always fell into my lap.

In your shoes, with so many failed attempts, I would honestly talk to a counsellor to figure out what need you're trying to fill with these women, and find a way to fill it yourself. Then, when you don't "need" anything from the women, you'll stop finding women who need something from you...
Old 01-02-2010, 09:07 AM

I'm sorry but how is this a question for polyamory? I'm not trying to be rude, just wanting to know the connection.
I agree, there are lots of women out there that will treat you with more respect. Perhaps taking a chance on a woman you may never have in the past may help. Someone you would not normally notice.

I was a lesbian for 10 years before I met my husband. I thought there were no men out there for me. Then I took notice of one that I would never of noticed before and boom, 12 years later. Now I have two men in my life, Mono is another type of man I would never of noticed before. I would of really struggled with him in the past. Heck we struggle now to understand each other. The point is its the heart of someone, their similar values and beliefs that lead to relationship success, not a type of person. At least in my experience.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:11 AM

Quote:
and long story short she decides to go out with a drug dealer who is obviously not very good at dealing drugs, has no job to suppliment, and cant drive because he's a dui...
You're dating in a pool of people with very diverse value sets. So I'll give you my take, given that I have a very... iconoclastic... set of values.

Drugs are a product that people want and are willing to pay for. In the biggest case, some of the "illegal" drugs are safer than the legal ones. And yet, they're still criminalized. Despite this criminalization, those transactions are almost always done on a voluntary basis between consenting people.

And you're stigmatizing them. Perhaps that's a turn off to the people that you're dating.

My step-mother dated one-after-another in a string of physically abusive, violent aggressive assholes. What she didn't understand then was that she was attracted to counter-traits of that. She wanted a man who would "take charge" and "be confident" and her example of taking charge was ignoring her wishes if "he thought it was best". This same trait, which I pretty much consider a lack of respect, allowed those same men to smack her around and smash her face into walls when she did something they didn't like.

The only way for her to get out of the "all of the guys around me turn out to be dicks" rut was to honestly evaluate what it was that she was attracted to, and find the common (positive) traits she found in all of the abusers and stay the hell away from them.

Perhaps you're dating "freaky" women. Ladies who are unabashedly sexual, iconoclastic, critical thinkers, thrill-seekers. whatever. The flip side of this is that when they DO think critically and ignore the law, they run into folks who conflict with YOUR value sets (you seem to value law-abiders, the stability of a regular job, et cetera). Until you reconcile those disparities, you won't find someone you connect with on the level you're looking for.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:59 AM
Custodian

Yes, I used to think that people who are responsible and don't break the law were boring, goody-two-shoes types. But it has very little to do with being responsible and staying out of trouble. It's really about being able to be yourself and feeling comfortable around someone. My husband is responsible and has no criminal record but he is not a goody-goody type. I'm not saying the OP is a goody-goody type. I'm simply agreeing with Drunken Porcupine that there are certain qualities that masquerade as other qualities when it comes to why someone is attracted to a certain "profile".
Old 01-04-2010, 07:25 AM

how fascinating... I totally didn't think of this DrunkenPorcupine. What an interesting idea! Hope this helps the man. It makes a lot of sense to me.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:21 PM

Wow, Thank you Drunken Porcupine!, and all replys... These advisements are very true, and they all help me understand my faults where i am going wrong, and where i may be able to do better or become better; It also helps me understand why perhaps i'm doing this, and its definately a problem about myself that i should change if i ever want to have something more compatable.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenPorcupine View Post
Perhaps you're dating "freaky" women. Ladies who are unabashedly sexual, iconoclastic, critical thinkers, thrill-seekers. whatever. The flip side of this is that when they DO think critically and ignore the law, they run into folks who conflict with YOUR value sets (you seem to value law-abiders, the stability of a regular job, et cetera). Until you reconcile those disparities, you won't find someone you connect with on the level you're looking for.
There's wisdom in this.
There's an old adage that says "opposites attract" and that doesn't just apply to magnetism (or is it !).
There is definitely a trait in humanity that tends to draw us toward people who seem to have an element of something we feel lacking in ourselves. I think this may be what Porcupine is referring to.
Maybe in your case you wish there was a piece of you that was more able to live a bit on the wild side. But rather than risk it yourself you're grabbing at it on the way by.
For you to determine I guess .

GS