Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 11-23-2011, 03:59 PM

Default Gaslighting

I am putting this in the 'New to Poly' section, as I think it is valuable to newbies who are struggling with new poly concepts.
If you are wondering on how much to give, or when things are 'normal growing pains' vs. being taken advantage of, this could provide some food for thought.

http://www.polyamorousmisanthrope.co...-gasslighting/

If it`s better served in the media section, feel free to move it.

Last edited by SourGirl; 11-23-2011 at 04:03 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:20 PM

Is this a subtle cry for help? Sure you talk a tough game but now somebody's got into your head and you're just to proud to admit it. If you like why not use the ole ...." I got this friend who's in this relationship and she is thinking . ..." Wink wink

Come on let us help you ....you'll feel better trust me.

PS
whats the photo of ....I know you like perverted photos. Am I going to be shocked or amused or both. Better not be related to leprechaun genitalia again ...you really need to let that go.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:45 PM

How`d I know your ears would perk up over the term 'gaslighting' ? You probably thought it was another housing question.

Be quiet you, or I`ll tell everyone about 'my friend' who has a band name and lyrics fetish.

and sweetheart,..there isn`t anything subtle about me.

Now help me, and get over here and fix my freaking water !!! $3000.00 later, and my water still works when it feels like it. Now its the pressure tank control switch they say,...sigh. Plumber blames electrician, electrician blames plumber,...'These are the Days of our Tradesmen Lives.'
Old 11-23-2011, 08:17 PM

Thanks for the interesting link SG! I have not come across that particular blog before.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:31 PM

I have enjoyed reading that blog before but I found this particular post rather tedious to read. I could barely finish it. I think the examples of giving rides to those people were just a bit too heavy-handed in trying to get the point across. I also get irritated when the popular culture has to find a new word for an old concept. Manipulation is manipulation. Now that people are calling it "gaslighting," new articles are being written as if we need new skills we didn't have before. Ugh. Well, at least the freelance writers and bloggers are getting some mileage out of it. Hopefully, they're getting paid.

"Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me." ~Bryan Ferry
"Love and the self are one . . ." ~Leo Buscaglia "

An excellent blog post on hierarchy in polyamory:
solopoly.net/2014/10/31/why-im-not-a-secondary-partner-the-short-version/
Old 11-23-2011, 10:59 PM

Glad you liked it Opal. It is a well-liked site. I thought it to be a refreshing topic that can prove valuable when we seek reminders about the 'truth' about these things.

nycindie - It`s not a new term. It has been around since the 70`s. Not only around, but in useable language. The thread`s intent, is for what I have previously stated to Opal.

..and yes, it is manipulation. The point is that it`s a specific type of manipulation. A type that can be hard to recognize. It`s definitely a tedious talk, but often-seen subject matter. It would be difficult to pull-out the ferris wheel and big lights to 'wow' a viewer without personal stories added in.

dingedheart- You`re late !

Tags
behaviour, boundaries, gas lighting, gaslighting, manipulation