Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Introductions

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-05-2011, 07:21 AM
friday friday is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Northern California
Posts: 11
Default Greetings from lurker-ville

Hi everybody,
The screenname is a reference to one of my favorite Heinlein books, the main character was in a group marriage and though I've always been fascinated by the idea never expected to find myself in a poly situation, mostly because its hard enough to find the time and energy for a traditional relationship, much less a poly one.
I am 30, female, and would like to say that I'm bi since I appreciate particular people of either gender, but really have only had romantic relationships with men and on the whole appreciate men's sexuality more easily. Married a wonderful 29 year old gay man, just last year though we've been together for over six now and our delightful son is coming up on five. We were always open to outside sexual encounters, some friendly and sporadic but casual, others simple one night stands with either or both of us, usually depending on the third's preference.
About three and a half years ago we met and became very close to a dear (straight male) friend who is several years younger than us, and offered a poly amorous relationship and at the time he declined for religious reasons, and ended up pursuing a mono relationship. He then found a new religion in his secular studies and is now atheist and after ending the mono relationship this summer moved in with us for a few months and, much to my surprise, was up for a relationship with us that is sexual and romantic. So here we are, trying to muddle our way through it, none of us expecting to have found something both this cool and confusing.
Pretty much the husband and partner are best friends, and I'm the romantic hinge though they would be tight friends if I were absent. Its nice to hear about others' experiences, especially with the NRE stuff, etc. Been reading people's stories and thought it would be nice to say hi rather than lurking forever.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-05-2011, 12:06 PM
Magdlyn's Avatar
Magdlyn Magdlyn is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Metro West Massachusetts
Posts: 3,513
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by friday View Post
Hi everybody,
The screenname is a reference to one of my favorite Heinlein books, the main character was in a group marriage and though I've always been fascinated by the idea never expected to find myself in a poly situation, mostly because its hard enough to find the time and energy for a traditional relationship, much less a poly one.
I am 30, female, and would like to say that I'm bi since I appreciate particular people of either gender, but really have only had romantic relationships with men and on the whole appreciate men's sexuality more easily. Married a wonderful 29 year old gay man, just last year though we've been together for over six now and our delightful son is coming up on five.
Your husband is gay, but you 2 have a child? Adopted? Artificial insemination? Or do you 2 have sex though he defines himself as gay? Sorry to ask such a personal question!

Quote:
We were always open to outside sexual encounters, some friendly and sporadic but casual, others simple one night stands with either or both of us, usually depending on the third's preference.
About three and a half years ago we met and became very close to a dear (straight male) friend who is several years younger than us, and offered a poly amorous relationship and at the time he declined for religious reasons, and ended up pursuing a mono relationship. He then found a new religion in his secular studies and is now atheist and after ending the mono relationship this summer moved in with us for a few months and, much to my surprise, was up for a relationship with us that is sexual and romantic. So here we are, trying to muddle our way through it, none of us expecting to have found something both this cool and confusing.
Pretty much the husband and partner are best friends, and I'm the romantic hinge though they would be tight friends if I were absent. Its nice to hear about others' experiences, especially with the NRE stuff, etc. Been reading people's stories and thought it would be nice to say hi rather than lurking forever.
Glad to meet you. Thanks for the thorough introduction. Congrats on your successful poly V! So you have sex with the new SO; don't have sex, but do have romance with your husband? And your husband gets his gay sex and possible romance from yet another guy or guys?
__________________
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

me: Mags, 58, living with:
miss pixi, 37, who is dating (NRE):
Master, 32
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-05-2011, 02:56 PM
River's Avatar
River River is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NM, USA
Posts: 1,894
Default

Welcome aboard, former lurker!




I'm also a bit puzzled by the sexual orientations of the people in the opening post. I guess I can understand a gay man and a basically straight woman having a profoundly loving relationship. But marrying? Hmm.
__________________
bi, partnered, available

River's Blog
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-05-2011, 09:06 PM
Magdlyn's Avatar
Magdlyn Magdlyn is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Metro West Massachusetts
Posts: 3,513
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post
I'm also a bit puzzled by the sexual orientations of the people in the opening post. I guess I can understand a gay man and a basically straight woman having a profoundly loving relationship. But marrying? Hmm.
Heh, I can even get the marrying part (could be for economic's sake, tax breaks, immigration, etc), but a kid? Where'd s/he come from?
__________________
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

me: Mags, 58, living with:
miss pixi, 37, who is dating (NRE):
Master, 32
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-05-2011, 09:37 PM
friday friday is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Northern California
Posts: 11
Default

Sorry I should have clarified that my husband is mostly gay. He was openly gay when we met and only did men, then we met and fell in love and our sex life is much like a normal straight couple except for being open, and now being a poly. He's a confusing but awesome guy, and it created some weirdness in the beginning of the relationship that we worked through before conceiving our son, of whether or not he wanted to 'give up men' or the possibility of finding his perfect man rather than pursuing the relationship that we were forming way back when. We actually resisted getting married for the economic/tax breaks for a long time since we actually lost money on that one, plus I think we both feel there's something wrong with the fact that straights can marry and gays can't and the main reason we're allowed to marry is that we happen to be opposite genders. But that's another ball of wax altogether.
He'll probably be on here to post his own perspective soon - at least he says he will be since he's been lurking longer than I have.
Also, shortly after our son was born we moved to another state and most people here (about half of my family and all of our coworkers) don't know or haven't asked about his sexual orientation because they simply see him as a normal married guy. My parents know about his being gay, as do most of our close friends who say he plays "gay chicken" too well to be straight, but only if you spend a lot of time with him. He's not "in the closet" here, but we figure there's no point in bringing it up with people we're not interested in being intimate with since its just that much more complicated to explain for no reason. Husband has occasional gay sex with men who are either bi or gay who we encounter in our social life, but mostly neither of us have had a lot of time for 'extra-marital' stuff and we never go looking for it, just whenever people give us "the look" when we're out and about, we see what they might be interested in.
Oh, and our partner is mostly straight but very okay with threesomes, though sometimes he and I enjoy alone time in the sac without the husband, and at some point they may want to enjoy some alone time without me, which we are all okay with ... I guess the romance is between both me and the husband and me and the partner, the sex and friendship/companionship is all three of us, if that answers. Sorry its sort of a complex situation and I was trying to keep the intro simple to start with. The real answer is all three members are a little bit bi, but have definite preferences for what gender we like in the general population that don't apply to our relationship with each other.

Last edited by friday; 09-05-2011 at 09:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-06-2011, 01:38 AM
Magdlyn's Avatar
Magdlyn Magdlyn is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Metro West Massachusetts
Posts: 3,513
Default

OK, thanks for answering. For the record, I am pansexual, a cisgendered but genderqueer woman in a poly "lesbian" relationship with a pansexual transwoman.

I was in a het marriage for 30 yrs but we split in '08. I've been with my gf for 2 1/2 years.

I am still getting used to being openly queer and partnered with a woman. I have met lots of women who ID as dykes or lesbians who are partnered with cisgendered men or transmen... they still ID as dyke even though most or all of their sex is with the opposite gender.

It's confusing. Your h IDs as gay even though most of his sex is with a woman! And all of his romantic loving feelings are with you. He just has casual sex with men.
__________________
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

me: Mags, 58, living with:
miss pixi, 37, who is dating (NRE):
Master, 32
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:23 AM.