Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 08-30-2011, 06:01 PM

Default Poly people she could do without.

I found this article on a FB group I am on and wanted to pass it on....

Heartless bitches international: "Poly people I can do without."

its about people describing themselves poly but seemingly having no interest in the "love" aspect of poly as most of us here on the forum know it.... The catch phrase being, "Your feelings are your own. I'm not responsible for your feelings."

I have hear this term on here before, and thought it might be useful to discuss what it means, how it comes to be that this is seen as poly and what peoples thoughts are on it. I am interested in understanding how and why this idea is important to people as much as anything else. Thoughts?
Old 08-30-2011, 06:12 PM

You picked one of my favourite threads on there !

It actually helped me learn, not to describe myself as poly.

It also helped me recognize It wasn`t just in my head, the things I noticed in the basics of polyamory. The things people tend to do.

I like what she wrote a lot. However I think you can`t really know if someone is taking responsibility for their own feelings in a good 'tough love' kind of way, versus shifting the responsibility, until you have been through various experiences with them.

If someone has that attitude in many areas of life, then yes, they are 'shifters'.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:49 PM

I love the part about narcissistic polyamorists!
and how she points out that when your fuck up, fess up!

Damn! I love all of this!
Old 08-30-2011, 08:56 PM

I went and read the original article. Thanks for the link RP! I'm now exploring Heartless Bitches.

I think the author's rant falls under the category of People are Assholes Everywhere. There is a long history of people taking advantage of ideology to do, and then explain away, what they damn well wanted to do anyway.

The 1970s free love movement had men having sex with lots of women, and taking no responsibility for any of it - birth control, child care, emotional issues, money.

One thing I found interesting is that de-emphasizing the 'love' part of polyamory allows some irresponsible people to disavow any responsibility for their actions, and the consequences of those actions. I suggest that love, without responsiblity and ethics put into practice, also results in assholery. We've seen many posts from people treating each other poorly who love each other. It's not the love part that makes poly unique, it's the ethical, responsible aspect of it.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:03 PM

I agree people are responsible for their own feelings, but only say it when a person says "You're making me feel guilty/like I'm being selfish/angry/sad" To my SO at least, I'll flat out say I'm not making you feel anything, and it might be more helpful to rephrase it in an "I feel" statement, so we can figure out what is really going on. I've found it the best way to put the focus on what action they or I have done that the other wants fixed or changed or discussed instead of shifting the focus to blaming and defensiveness.

Of course that's because I'm not TRYING to make him feel whatever he's saying he feels, I'm just trying to let him know how I feel. I know there are some people out there who only care about doing what they want, but telling a person like that "You are making me feel" just enables them to use the "You're responsible for your own feelings" argument in a "suck it up" way. I think those people would rather argue than work on problems or admit they are being selfish, and using those "I feel" statements makes it a little harder for them to get away with it.

I used to find myself saying "YOU'RE making me feel" and I think I'm broken myself of that bad habit finally. I can't remember how many times discussions never got past the hurt feelings stage with the focus on "I feel bad because of what you did, and subsequent implication "therefore you're an asshole if you don't feel bad because I feel bad". Now I can quickly cut to the root issues of what's going on, no matter who the upset person in a situation is.

Luckily I don't think I've run across anybody for a long time who operates in the "you're responsible for your feelings and I don't care how you feel" way, but then again I haven't been excessively social lately, and I'm sure they are out there.

That's a really interesting article. especially the different bullets on what "Responsible" should entail. I usually assume the best of people, so it's useful to be reminded what sorts are out there, and to keep an eye on people's motivations through their actions.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:52 PM

*grumbles about stupid IT blocking "adult content" websites*

My Journey to Health and Fitness
My Journey as a Widow

Jane
Old 08-30-2011, 10:29 PM

The 'heartless bitches' site rocks. I highly recommend reading the posts about dealing with manipulators, as well.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:45 PM

wow...this is certainly hitting the nail on the head for me....the points she makes are points that I have made to my husband in our discussions to opening our marriage...i love the entire article...I think its great.

Tags
casual sex, descriptions, ethics, labels, lessons, open, sex, sex positive, swinging, values