Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Poly Relationships Corner

Notices

Old 08-26-2011, 12:32 AM

Default Is talking/flirting with strangers acceptable for many of you?

Hello, I am just curious.

I have a strong tendency to talk to girls that I find attractive. I have been doing this all my life (mainly when single and somewhat now as well).

Now I am in a LTR and slowly opening up the relationship but want to know about what level of liberties other people find acceptable.

From many I read here that poly came by accident or something beyond their control (such as a friendship that evolved).

In my case, I have no such relations but like to explore other avenues, not necessarily sexual but like to get intimate with other people.

Therefore, I am severely tempted to approach women in the street, supermarket, bars etc when we exchange glances, smiles etc and get their facebook etc...

This has worked for me in the past but wonder how you people would react to this?

If am very much committed to my SO but am very excited at the idea of flirting and such and meeting new people.

If my SO were to do something like this, I would probably be somewhat worried but I think I could deal with that since I now she loves me very much.

Thanks!
Old 08-26-2011, 01:10 AM

Well DH and I are both flirtatious people by nature. So for us it's acceptable and any SO we get with will have to accept that,
Old 08-26-2011, 02:07 AM

My gf (don't really thinks she needs that titlte, but what else do I refer to her as?), anyway, she's very flirty, it's in her nature. I just remind myself of that occasionally.
I can be too, I just learned not to be after being married for so long and wanting to prevent myself from having any feelings for anyone else. Fuck that I'm going to be me.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:26 AM

I have always been a flirt and always will be a flirt. Same for my ex-husband. Neither of us ever felt weird about that, flirting and having attractions is natural and healthy. Whether I'm in a mono or poly relationship, that won't change. The only difference is that, when you're poly, possibilities are there that weren't before and you can follow through and let someone know you're serious (if you are). Whatever type of committed relationship you're in, you act appropriate to the situation. Just because a relationship is now opened up doesn't mean you have to try to pick people up or nail anything that moves.

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein

Last edited by nycindie; 08-26-2011 at 03:51 AM.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:46 AM

I am that way with certain people too. I have to reel myself back sometimes. I like to learn about people and try to find a common ground. I guess I am always looking for any kind of a connection.

Silly.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:12 AM

I flirt subconsciously.... Am I breathing? I am probably flirting. I generally do not mean it the way that some would think.... I do not desire any more lovers, but I do enjoy knowing that I am still attractive.

Tags
flirting, meeting people