Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Site Usage > User Guidelines & Forum Features

Notices

Old 07-15-2011, 03:20 PM

Default Can I delete later if I want?

I'm new here. Would like to post my situation with details but I am not terribly comfortable doing that without first knowing if I can delete it later if I feel the need?

I read in one place on the site you can delete your own thread but then later on read something else that said "We are no obbligated to delete a thread you later regret posting."

Just wondered.

thanks
Old 07-15-2011, 03:28 PM

I think the rule is that you have 12 hours to edit a post. That would include the ability to delete it, although I don't know if actual deletion is permitted here (it isn't on another forum I'm on).
Old 07-15-2011, 04:56 PM
Custodian

You have 12 hours to edit or delete posts. That is more than enough time to sleep or sober up and figure out if you regret what you said.

Why would you post something in the first place if you know you're just gonna want to delete it later?
Old 07-15-2011, 05:33 PM

Even if you don't edit or delete, use aliases or initials and don't write identifying details, like place names or specific events, etc.

It's easy enough to get the gist of your situation across without going into every little detail. Most problems can be boiled down to simple issues, anyway. Read some threads first, to see how it's done.

This forum's posts come up in Google searches, so use your brain about saying anything if you don't want to identify yourself or anyone else.

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein
Old 07-15-2011, 07:03 PM
Custodian

I think some people secretly hope the people they are talking about will find their posts and read about themselves, especially during the heat of a crisis. Then, when the dust settles a bit and things start to go more smoothly, they go "o noez i wrote about it on teh internetz halp meh"
Old 07-15-2011, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonKaos View Post
I think some people secretly hope the people they are talking about will find their posts and read about themselves, especially during the heat of a crisis. Then, when the dust settles a bit and things start to go more smoothly, they go "o noez i wrote about it on teh internetz halp meh"
I guess that could be, but I also think that this is a place where you can discuss these topics with people who have experience with them. In real life, if you don't know any poly people, you can't get that experience or acceptance. A conversation is preferably in terms of privacy - the words come out, are exchanged, and then are gone. On the internet, the words come out and are there forever. There is of course the option of conversing via PM on a forum like this, but if you're new like me and haven't really made many connections with the folks here yet, that's not as much of an option, and it's likely one will get more feedback and input by posting on the boards. I just think that sometimes it is a bit discomforting to know that the words you put out there are going to be there forever... in a way I guess it's good, in that you have to really think about what you're going to say, but it is also somewhat limiting. But I guess that's part of the idea.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:47 PM

A thread I was following (in the Life stories & blogs section) seems to have been deleted.

I'm trying to find any info about how this works, on this forum. I too remember reading somewhere about this, but I can't find it now.

I noticed the OP's original question wasn't answered (I don't think?) in this thread.

So: are threads ever deleted, if the thread author changes their mind for whatever reason?

I understand we should not rely on this, that we have a 12 hour window to edit/delete posts ourselves, that we should anonymise posts, assume they are online forever etc. But, can they also be deleted on request?

I'm just curious. Thanks
Old 04-02-2014, 12:39 AM
Official Greeter

My guess is: Probably, in theory, yes. Ask a mod/admin to delete your post/thread after the 12-hour window, and if they deem your request needful and appropriate, I'm guessing it's within their power to do it. However, I'll bet posts/threads older than 12 hours will only be deleted under extreme circumstances (circumstances which may have nothing to do with whether the mods/admins were asked). Serrriously unlikely, is what I'm getting at.

That's totally guesswork on my part and I am not at all an expert in such matters. But it might explain why the thread you were following disappeared despite the 12-hour window rule. For further info/correction of any misinformation on my part, I'll defer to the mods/admins who'll hopefully post here and let you know.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:03 AM

In response; I'm going to suggest asking ImaginaryIllusion.
Because-as a rule of thumb, no we don't go deleting threads.
But-I can imagine potential circumstances where it would be warranted.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:36 AM
Official Greeter

Link to ImaginaryIllusion's profile: http://www.polyamory.com/forum/member.php?u=284

Tags
forum usage, secrets