Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 11-10-2009, 01:00 AM

Default Some Things Not To Do

Found this and thought it could prove useful here.

http://www.heartless-bitches.com/ran...lypeople.shtml

It's all about bad "poly" behavior....
Old 11-10-2009, 01:07 AM

Love it. She makes it very clear it is her opinion, but there are some great points in there. thanks for sharing.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:53 AM

Now that is my kind of poly person!!

Playing the Game of Life with Monopoly rules.
Monogamy might just be in my genes

Poly Events All Over
Old 11-10-2009, 05:30 AM

like it!
We need a "great articles" thread!
Old 11-10-2009, 07:12 AM

Good article!

I especially, especially appreciate the very end: "Unfortunately, it seems that poly attracts BPD's (and those suffering from Narcissistic Personality Disorder) because they think they can get more of the attention they crave through multiple relationships. "

I think this is what I wrote in my original post on this forum. What a relief to read this. Now it's time to consciously choose stable, mature relationships in an openly poly way. Phew.

Anyway good article.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:52 PM

I can very definitely relate to the author's emotions through the pain of my own experiences, and she makes some valid points. All too often the people who actively seek to represent poly are those worst equipped to do so.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:12 PM

Default Oh Dear

Oh Dear.
When we see this kind of stuff it just simply makes us sad. Very sad.
For us it's a Deja-vu experience that takes us back to the first time some of us learned this hard lesson about humanity. For any of you who may have been there - or close - you'll understand. For those too young this may or may not click.
We were involved with what eventually got labeled as the "Hippie" ......movement/group/culture/etc from almost the beginning. Prior to it really having it's "label" attached and hitting the mainstream big time. It would be a long and very sad, emotional story that we'd never attempt here. And yes, there were a lot of parallels to what we seen in the foundings of (modern) polyamory.
But what happened ?
The whole culture, because of it's desire to be open and embracing, soon became infiltrated by a majority of people who only wanted to make a mad grab at what some of the positive aspects were without shouldering any of the effort & responsibility that needed to come with it. And in the end - look what happened. The whole culture was eventually discredited & destroyed. From inside. Lots of tears from some - then & now.
And at least for myself, I have found no way to avoid this for any exposed culture. With the possible exception of maintaining a high level of secrecy. This, as far as I can determine, has been the only method that's had any success in allowing any membership of a group to maintain the positive aspects.
We've been witness to this time & again for so many cultures around the world. And at least to us, it seems it's already happened to the "polyamourous" culture too. So for the brave ones who choose to continue their involvement it probably will involve dropping any labels and just living their "truth" quietly. Those of a similar philosophy will always be able to be identified by each other through their thoughts & actions.

GSs

Tags
non monogamy, open relationship