poly is the new gay

That's funny, I thought the genderqueer/transgender/intersexed communities were the "gays" of 2010. ;)

It's been 40 years since the gay civil rights movement started. Let's hope it doesnt take that long for either poly people or transgendered people to achieve similar rights and acceptance.

That's funny, I thought the genderqueer/transgender/intersexed communities were the "gays" of 2010. ;)

It's been 40 years since the gay civil rights movement started. Let's hope it doesnt take that long for either poly people or transgendered people to achieve similar rights and acceptance.

It's been 40 years and counting. Gays STILL don't have the right to marry. Even getting a legal "Life partner" status to be able to share things like health insurance etc can be quite an ordeal. In mant states the life partner status has to be brought before a judge who has months to review the request and decide whether or not it will be granted. Gays may have some basic rights, but they are certainly limited.

Luckily, here in Canada, and specifically the Candian military, attitudes are vastly changed. We recognize same sex marraiges and have paid for gender reassignments. And yet I am not sure how they would handle my relationship. A few years ago the military apparently investigated a swinger group at a military housing community and "shut it down" so to speak (but that could be a rumor)

Luckily, here in Canada, and specifically the Candian military, attitudes are vastly changed. We recognize same sex marraiges and have paid for gender reassignments. And yet I am not sure how they would handle my relationship. A few years ago the military apparently investigated a swinger group at a military housing community and "shut it down" so to speak (but that could be a rumor)

I find that humorously ironic. Considering how swinging found some of its roots.

We recognize same sex marraiges and have paid for gender reassignments.

And iirc the biggest break to homosexual marriages being allowed in Canada had to do with Sexual Orientation being recognized as protected under the charter, and then a challenge and subsequent striking down of the old marriage laws as unconstitutional based on that prejudice against orientation.

It's been 40 years and counting. Gays STILL don't have the right to marry.

Right, except in a few states.

Even getting a legal "Life partner" status to be able to share things like health insurance etc can be quite an ordeal. In many states the life partner status has to be brought before a judge who has months to review the request and decide whether or not it will be granted. Gays may have some basic rights, but they are certainly limited.

Of course. There's a way to go. But things are definitely changing, as also evidenced by the Don't Ask Don't Tell debate going on for the military now. I heard over 70% of Americans are in favor of gays being allowed to be "out" in the military, and over 80% of actual military ppl are in favor. That's a huge change from a decade or 2 ago!

Now if ppl would just stop (loudly) whispering, "That's a man" when my gf walks by them... We need more education about transgender in our schools, as we've had for race issues, religions, disabilities, gay issues.

Back