Guidelines & Boundaries vs. Rules: Merged Threads, General Discussion

Dealing with another's issues and making boundaries

Haven't posted in a while, but have been reading and still learning...

A brief re-introduction: I’m a straight, mono
female with a straight male partner (D) who has two other
straight mono female partners (Ki and Ka). None
of us are legally married to D and none of us live with him.
We’re trying to build a sustainable, loving relationship
among the four of us and though the 3 of us girls are not romantically or
sexually involved with each other, we do have deep bonds.

I’ve adapted a pragmatic approach of what works for me personally, our
group and the individual relationships within the group. It’s an
on-going process and sometimes I feel frustrated beyond words with the
whole idea of poly (in any form)!

I’m all for personal growth and knowing oneself and I have worked on that
over the past few years. I DO know myself better and feel more centered
and at peace with myself than I ever have. I discovered things that I
may have never discovered if I’d been in a mono relationship and I’m very
grateful for that. I love D and the relationship we have. And I love Ki
and Ka too.

It’s just very draining to deal with another’s (SAME) insecurities,
fears, jealousy, baggage, etc. over and over and over and over. I know
that, in some cases, when the same issue keeps reappearing, the root
cause of that issue has not been addressed and no matter how reassuring
or comforting another person is, it doesn’t reach the source.

Sometimes, though, it’s not just a matter of dealing with a root cause;
sometimes it’s part of an individual’s personality. For example, I have
never been a jealous person – it takes a very specific set of events for
me to experience jealousy and even then, it passes quickly. Ka, on the
other hand, is extremely jealous and when she is triggered, it produces
hurt feelings and DAYS of talking and processing.

She gets jealous of me if I spend more time with D than she does and
almost has a fit of apoplexy if she thinks I’ve gotten more sex than her.
Never mind the fact that SHE almost always spends more time with D *AND*
has more sex with him than I do. She has no problem with the “inequity”
when she “wins”, but on those rare occasions when I “win”, she gets bent.
(And that’s happened maybe 5 or 6 times in TWO YEARS!)

I think Ka’s jealously is also related to her trust issues. These are
due, in part, to baggage from her previous marriage, but also because
it’s part of her personality. So if she “feels” that D (or I) haven’t
told the truth (as she sees it, regardless of the facts), no matter what
he says or does, or what I say or do, or what proof we present, she reads
deception into his/my words or actions, when there is none. I do try to
be patient and understanding as she deals with her baggage. But, her
actions impact me.

I get tired of “being on trial” when I’ve done nothing wrong. I don’t
lie to her (or Ki) and I won’t. I insist on honesty so I’m going to be
honest. And it gets so old when she’s pissy and complains about any
“extra” time I spend with D, which leads me to believe that she feels
entitled to that time. Then my hackles raise because she has no more
“right” to it than I do.

She also asks D questions about what he and I did when we were together.
Is it a jealousy issue? A trust issue? Or, just plain nosiness?
Whatever the reason, it’s none of her business what we do or if we have
sex 10 times or not at all.

My impression from all of this is:

1 - She wants to be the most loved, the most important woman in D’s life
–and she has said that she wants to be number 1. That’s not the
structure of our relationship. D doesn’t love any one of us “more” than
the others. However, as long as she gets more time (and possibly more
sex) with D, she can feel like she’s number 1 and then she doesn’t have
to deal with underlying jealousy or inadequacy.

2- She wants to exert control over my relationship with D so she feels
more secure. How D and I do our relationship is for us to decide. And
the same applies to her and Ki in their individual relationships with D.
How we interact as a *group* is for all of us to determine, but she
wants to cross a line and have a say in my individual relationship with
D. That isn’t going to fly.

My questions are:

How do I deal with her on-going issues to the extent that they affect me?
I know they are for her to work through and process and I tell myself
it’s her stuff, not mine and try to let roll off of me. That becomes
increasingly difficult when her stuff directly impacts me and my
relationship with D.

How can I respectfully convey my discomfort over her asking for personal
details of my time with D? And to make sure she knows that she does not
have a say in our private relationship?

Thanks for reading and for any suggestions.

Piper

Piper,
It seems like you are still having the same old problems with your metamours that you had when last you wrote. I haven't re-read your previous thread, but I do feel sad for you that it hasn't been resolved. Why hasn't D stepped up and put the kibosh on this sort of crap from her? Weren't you going to have a group meeting with everyone to talk about this?

Seems to me that D is ineffectual in handling his relationships, and this is really where the problem lies. He is the one having multiple relationships, so he has to learn to manage them better. He should be the one who will not tolerate one gf disrespecting another and letting Ka know in no uncertain terms that she cannot get away with it. Sorry, that is all I can think of right now, as I am really tired at the moment - perhaps I'll write again after re-reading your threads.

Time to get assertive.

Hrm. Tried "lather, rinse, repeat?"

Next time she acts out? Say nothing. Walk away. Email her and D the following report. (see below for idea of a report)

Always the same. The only thing changing is the next "acting out" time added to the table. Then there's a list of the happenings.

We feel whatever we feel when we feel it. We cannot control that. We can only control how we behave in response. List the behavior then! For yourself as much as for them.

We also teach others how we want to be treated. Start teaching!

And think about your own limit here -- if Ka is not doing all her page 5 stuff? D is NOT shouldering his page 6 duties to Ka, and he allows her to leak on to you all the time?

How much are you willing to put up with from a shirking D hinge? Put your limits and the consequences on your report. And follow through.

You CAN break up the Ka friendship and just reduce her metamour "volume" you know. Polite, but not buddies as well. Manage your calendar stuff via D. There. Prob solved on your end on Ka kooky!

Because if you allow her to leak on you, what motivation does she have to stop the leaks? She has your friendship and she is leaking. That's great for her! Not great for you. You are being drained.

You CAN choose not to schedule fresh dates with D until he solves his Ka problem. Because if you keep making dates with him, what motivation does he have to stop shirking his duty by you?

It's great for him! He doesn't have to do changes to his behavior -- he's getting what he wants from you -- dates. While you do not get what you want from him -- boundaries respected.

So consider changing how YOU behave toward this problem. See if that works any better for you.

Your own behavior is all you can control anyway.

GL!
GalaGirl
--------------------------
INCIDENT REPORT

• I am your metamour. If you have a problem with your lover, D, take it to him. Not me.
  • I am not willing to stop seeing D.
  • I am not willing to allow your jealousy to color the (me + D) tier. That is our business and you have no part in that tier.
  • On the tier of Ka <--> (me + d) you are showing jealousy and tantrums. You are not showing that you are trying to work on it. Please work on it and let me and D know what kind of support you need. I cannot do it for you. D cannot do it for you.
  • I am willing to schedule a talk in trio with you, me and D if you have reasonable needs going unmet where I can help met to hold up my end of the Ka <--> (me + d) tier.
  • I am not willing to beat a dead horse on this topic. Here is your latest report sheet. I am willing to discuss items on this sheet in trio at a conflict resolution appointment.

FREQUENCY TABLE

Date of incident:
Time of incident:
Location of incident:
What happened: (describe with no emotion or judgement. Just this and that happened.)

Ka did this in response:
  • did/did not apologize to me for outbursting at me
  • did/did not work on her issues
  • did/did not respect my boundaries stated in last report sent on ____
  • did/did not attempt to schedule conflict resolution appointment in trio where this can be dealt with appropriately

D did this in response:
  • did/did not apologize to me for his lover leaking on to me with her issues
  • did/did not talk to Ka on the (Ka + D) tier to stop involving me and to take issues up with HIM if she's got a prob with him direct
  • did / did not talk to Ka to tell her she does not belong in the (me + D) tier
  • did/did not talk to Ka to tell her that on the Ka to (me + D) she is behaving poorly.
  • did/did not respect my boundaries stated in last report sent on ____
  • did/did not attempt to schedule conflict resolution appointment in trio where this can be dealt with appropriately

WHAT I HAVE DONE IN RESPONSE

• I did/did not walk away and did not get sucked into an inappropriate conflict scene.
  • I did/did not make apology if I behaved bad to anyone.
  • I added the latest entry to the report. I did/did not emailed both the report.
  • Restated my boundaries to each. (via report)
  • Restated my willingness to talk in trio and gave 3 available dates for appropriate conflict resolution appointment. So I have attempted to schedule it. I'm holding up my end. (via report)
  • I reminded Ka on the (Ka + me) tier to stop involving D and to take issues up with ME if she's got a prob with ME. Her jealousy with her date schedule is not my problem to solve. Only she can solve that one with D. I do not run his calendar. He does. (via report)
  • I gave her and D links to help them learn how to manage jealousy. (via report)
  • I reminded Ka she does not belong in the (me + D) tier (via report)
  • I reminded Ka that on the Ka to (me + D) she is behaving poorly and foot dragging on working on her personal stuff in appropriate ways. (via report)

LINKS FOR KA AND D

http://www.practicalpolyamory.com/images/Jealousy_Updated_10-6-10.pdf

KA: Please read jealousy page 5. Are you doing all these things toward me and D?

D: Please read jealousy page 6. Are you doing all these things for Ka?

I am willing to do page 6 to a degree as Ka's metamour / friend if both Ka and D are doing page 5 and 6 respectively FIRST.

Otherwise, I am not up for foot dragging or up for doing other people's work for them. More links for jealousy help are:

http://www.practicalpolyamory.com/downloadabledocuments.html
http://www.morethantwo.com/
http://www.serolynne.com/trianglelove.htm
http://openingup.net/resources/free-downloads-from-opening-up/

CONSEQUENCES

I have a limit. If this report grows to ____ entries, and I have had to give it that many times to Ka and D?

• My relationship to KA will change to (what? Only metamour polite schedule/labs type? No more friendship?)
  • My relationship to D will change to (what? Will not schedule dates until he solves his KA leaking problem? More)

Thanks for your responses Cindie and GG,

I do agree that *part* of the problem lie with D's handling of our multiple relationships. Despite a lifetime of various forms of non-monogamy, D has never dealt with a dynamic like we have. He was used to being in situations where he lied/she lied or DADT. Being in this relationship has been a learning curve for him - hell, for all us! We all came in blind and have stumbled and fumbled, bumping into each other in the process.

We've had meetings about other and related issues and we have made a lot of progress. And D, Ka and I have also talked about the time issue and how she usually gets more time, so why is it a problem on those rare occasions that I get more time. She doesn't really have an answer - she gets so focused on what she is feeling RIGHT now and she just wants it to stop. She hasn't learned to let the emotion blow through and that you don't have to act on it. She is seeing a counselor to deal with some underlying issues that she's never addressed.

I already do some of your suggestions, GG. I do disengage from her when she is "leaking". I strive for a healthy balance of being supportive and taking care of myself. I do agree that I need to be more assertive. That doesn't come naturally to me. I HATE conflict. Always have - been a peacemaker my whole life.

To another subject - We have the following set date nights: Friday - me; Saturday - Ka and Ki; Sunday - Ka. Of course, we allow some flexibility due to circumstances. I think we need a meeting to discuss Monday through Thursday nights. In my view, if D wants to spend time with any of us on one of those nights, it's his choice as to whom it will be if she is available.

I say that because this latest episode started because D asked to me to come over and spend last Thursday night and Ka got a little snippy - with him, not with me - because he didn't ask her. This is where he gets frustrated. It *is* his time and he gets to decide how and who he spends it with and he's told her this. She is still so tied up in "measuring" his love through time (and sex) that she doesn't truly feel his love. And her obsessing over every little thing and jumping up and down about it damages her relationship with D; then he doesn't want to spend as much time with her! It also damages her relationship with me.

We also must discuss boundaries around individual relationships and sharing. It does bug me that she asks D if we had sex and how many times. If she was asking because it was a turn-on, while that would still bother me, it wouldn't be as much of an issue. But, she wants to know how for for score keeping. She wants to make sure that I'm not "getting" more than her. I am going to ask her not to ask him any more and I'm going to ask him not to tell her and to request that she not ask him anymore as it's not her business. I don't ask.

Once things have settled down, I am requesting a group meeting.

Thanks again for the responses.

Piper

Sounds like you are doing what you can. It's good you are working to improve your conflict resolution skills. WTG!

The only thing that popped into my head reading that was -- Maybe don't bother asking WHY it is a problem any more? Just let her solve it with her counselor.

Just accept it as it IS a problem. Then focus on management of the problem where it affects YOU.

So I am glad to hear you tackle that part like this:

I am going to ask her not to ask him any more and I'm going to ask him not to tell her and to request that she not ask him anymore as it's not her business. I don't ask.

WTG on that too!

GG

We also must discuss boundaries around individual relationships and sharing. It does bug me that she asks D if we had sex and how many times. If she was asking because it was a turn-on, while that would still bother me, it wouldn't be as much of an issue. But, she wants to know how for for score keeping. She wants to make sure that I'm not "getting" more than her. I am going to ask her not to ask him any more and I'm going to ask him not to tell her and to request that she not ask him anymore as it's not her business. I don't ask.

Oh, yes, I would do this right away if I were you. Although I would talk to D first, because that is a privacy boundary and the important part is that he respects your privacy and does not give her the info -- but you really can't prevent her from asking him. My suspicion is that, even if she knows you don't want her to do it, she will have a hard time resisting the urge and will ask him anyway. But the best deterrent will be if he will not kowtow to her and provide such info, purely out of respect for your boundary. That should be a good lesson for her. It seems that this information is only fuel for the fire, and more fuel is something she does not need.

Last edited:
This hits a grey area to me and one I don't see as being realistically resolvable simply down to one important factor:
Informed consent.

You don't ask for this information and that works for you as part of the things you need or don't need to know to continue on in your relationship with D. You don't have a personal need to know this information and that is why you don't ask. It becomes easy (for you) to consider this information to be unnecessary.

It is entirely possible there is a type of information that you do prioritize and consider necessary for your continued association with D that someone else might not feel the same about. In that instance someone else could say "well I don't ask to know that; it isn't necessary for me to know so why does Pipersgirl even ask for that information?"

At what point is it okay for us to decide what information should or shouldn't be important to others?

D could have a partner with a wildly different set of priorities. Someone who doesn't want to be involved with someone who engages in particular acts and those acts could be going on with one of his other partners. Do we tell that person its none of their business? That they shouldn't be able to ask for assurance that one of there partners is indeed someone they would have no qualms about being intimate with?

I get it can be frustrating especially when you end up dealing with the fall out. Were it me, I wouldn't tell someone what they can or can't ask to know unless its getting right down to the gritty of details (which whether or not you had sex isn't but whether or not you had particular sex acts is). I would just ask that if it causes a disruption in THEIR association that you not be made aware of it. Ka should be able to ask whatever she feels she needs to know but you shouldn't have to manage the fallout when she asks and then objects to the answer.

I also noticed that you get one night to yourself with D and Ka gets one night to herself with D but it seemed unclear if Ki doesn't. At least that is how I read it.

"We have the following set date nights: Friday - me; Saturday - Ka and Ki; Sunday - Ka."

Is Ki a lover to Ka and D only? That would make this all make much more sense. Ka wouldn't ask about Ki and D because SHE ALREADY KNOWS - SHE WAS THERE. And that may be something she needs to feel comfortable with a lack of exclusivity with D. This wouldn't be your fault but it would add up to a big "ohhhh that's why".

Last edited:
Hello Vin,

Thanks for another perspective. I’ve been pondering this for a couple of days…

At what point is it okay for us to decide what information should or shouldn't be important to others?

I don’t believe it is ok for me to decide what information is important to someone else. HOWEVER, I do get to decide what information I’m comfortable sharing. Why does another’s need to know trump my need for privacy?

D could have a partner with a wildly different set of priorities. Someone who doesn't want to be involved with someone who engages in particular acts and those acts could be going on with one of his other partners. Do we tell that person its none of their business? That they shouldn't be able to ask for assurance that one of there partners is indeed someone they would have no qualms about being intimate with?

I have conflicting feelings about this. If we’re talking about safer sex practices, I fully agree that every partner has a right to know. And I want to know who my lover is having sex with and would expect that his other partners feel the same. And all of us know who D is having sex with: the three of us and no one else as we are a closed group.

If there is a particular act that someone isn’t comfortable with, they have every right to say so and to not engage in that act. I even agree that they can ask their partner if they engage in that act with others and then choose not to be with that partner; they don’t have a right to insist that their partner not engage in said act with another willing partner. And if they ask and are told, yes, I do engage in that act with my other partner/s, they have their answer and it is really none of their business how often said act occurs.

Were it me, I wouldn't tell someone what they can or can't ask to know unless its getting right down to the gritty of details (which whether or not you had sex isn't but whether or not you had particular sex acts is).

Maybe I’m missing something… Ka **knows** D and I have sex on a regular basis. What possible difference does it make if over any given time period, we have sex once, 10 times or not at all? Or if we have lights off missionary sex in the bed or swinging from a trapeze 20 feet in the air outside?

I would just ask that if it causes a disruption in THEIR association that you not be made aware of it. Ka should be able to ask whatever she feels she needs to know but you shouldn't have to manage the fallout when she asks and then objects to the answer.

Whether or not I’m made aware of any disruption, I feel it. Problems between D and Ka spill over into my relationship even if he doesn’t say anything. And it boils down to this: she is asking about the frequency of our sexual encounters to keep score; not because she is uncomfortable with us doing certain things, but because she wants to ensure that I don’t get more or “better” than she does. I KNOW this because she said, out of her own mouth, “I get bent when I think you’re having more sex than me.” If she was asking because it turned her on or out of genuine curiousity, I would more easily give up some privacy.

But, when she asks, doesn’t like the answer, gets pissy about it and then the fallout hits me, my instinct is to pull back, close up and say it’s none of your business! What D and I do when alone is between us. And I do believe that D and I should have things that are just between us; this applies to his other relationships as well. Ka wants to know EVERYTHING because she needs assurance that she is “special” and she seeks that by a) spending more time with him and b) getting more sex. She want to be most important, number one, QBIC and that irritates the hell out of me as we’ve ALL discussed and agreed that the relationship is not structured that way.

I also noticed that you get one night to yourself with D and Ka gets one night to herself with D but it seemed unclear if Ki doesn't. At least that is how I read it. Is Ki a lover to Ka and D only?

Yes, Ka and myself have regular scheduled one on one date nights with D; Ki doesn’t – they occasionally have one on one nights. And Ka, Ki and myself are not lovers to each other. We are not sexually or romantically involved with each other. We are all straight and only have sex with D. The three of us are close, love each other and are affectionate with each other, but we’re not in love with each other. I’ll going a little more in depth about our dynamics below and this is important to know.

That would make this all make much more sense. Ka wouldn't ask about Ki and D because SHE ALREADY KNOWS - SHE WAS THERE. And that may be something she needs to feel comfortable with a lack of exclusivity with D. This wouldn't be your fault but it would add up to a big "ohhhh that's why".

I agree. She does know what happens with Ki because she’s there. I honestly believe that Ka wants to know and, to an extent, control everything about D’s sex life. She would gladly be there every time he has sex and still want one on one sex too.

Her jealousy of me has waned, but it’s still there BECAUSE she isn’t there for my one on one relationship with D. She still views me as “competition”. To be honest, there is some truth to that. Love may not be limited, but time is limited and so is attention and energy to include sexual energy. Any time spent with me is time not spent with her; any sex with me takes away potential sexual energy from her. And the same is true for me. Plus, Ka and I are very similar in our sexual tastes and appetites, while Ki is more vanilla and less libidinous.

On to the more in depth (romantic/sexual) dynamics:

D-myself: regular scheduled one on one date nights
D-Ka: regular scheduled one on one date nights
D-Ki: occasional one on one date nights
D-Ki-Ka: regular scheduled date nights (they’ve been in this threesome for almost 2 years)
D-myself-Ka: semi-regular threesomes
D-myself-Ka-Ki: occasional foursomes
D-myself-Ki: haven’t done it and not forcing it
(Of course, there are the friendships between and among myself, Ka and Ki, but I’m only dealing with the sexual aspects of our dynamic.)

So, we are very comfortable with each other and pretty familiar with each other’s sexuality. Maybe that’s why some boundaries are blurred. And to be fair, I’ve never asked Ka not to ask about my private time with D, nor I have asked him not to tell her. Like I said above, my renewed desire for more privacy surrounding my sex life with D, is due more to the fallout from her reaction to his answers, than anything else.

And the only one of these dynamics that Ka has a real issue with is the one between D and myself for all the reasons outlined above. At this point, I’ve accepted that there is a problem and I’ve done what I can to be supportive and understanding, but it’s not my issue to resolve. I’m just trying to effectively deal with and minimize the impact on me, my relationship with D and my relationship with Ka.

Thanks again for the responses. They were great tools in helping me clarify what I’m feeling.

Pipersgirl

hi hun, I hope I can help out.

She gets jealous of me if I spend more time with D than she does and
almost has a fit of apoplexy if she thinks I’ve gotten more sex than her.
Never mind the fact that SHE almost always spends more time with D *AND*
has more sex with him than I do. She has no problem with the “inequity”
when she “wins”, but on those rare occasions when I “win”, she gets bent.
(And that’s happened maybe 5 or 6 times in TWO YEARS!)

with poly relationships everyone should look at their relationship as just them as the partner and do they get the emotional , sexual and loving needs out of that relationship, it is hard not to compare but you should never compare how d is with you and how different it is with her.

I think Ka’s jealously is also related to her trust issues. These are
due, in part, to baggage from her previous marriage, but also because
it’s part of her personality. So if she “feels” that D (or I) haven’t
told the truth (as she sees it, regardless of the facts), no matter what
he says or does, or what I say or do, or what proof we present, she reads
deception into his/my words or actions, when there is none. I do try to
be patient and understanding as she deals with her baggage. But, her
actions impact me.

the only thing you can do is so she can trust you both and she will get there when she is ready as hard as it is.

I get tired of “being on trial” when I’ve done nothing wrong. I don’t
lie to her (or Ki) and I won’t. I insist on honesty so I’m going to be
honest. And it gets so old when she’s pissy and complains about any
“extra” time I spend with D, which leads me to believe that she feels
entitled to that time. Then my hackles raise because she has no more
“right” to it than I do.

another issue on time, the problem with having more than one partner is sharing them equal, can you have one weekend each and share the other weekend as a foursome? have two days on week each maybe but set days every week or set weekends so noone feels left out and hopefully everyone will be happy.

How do I deal with her on-going issues to the extent that they affect me?
I know they are for her to work through and process and I tell myself
it’s her stuff, not mine and try to let roll off of me. That becomes
increasingly difficult when her stuff directly impacts me and my
relationship with D.

How can I respectfully convey my discomfort over her asking for personal
details of my time with D? And to make sure she knows that she does not
have a say in our private relationship?

q1:

have a 1on1 time with her alone so noone can put in their comments etc, talk though them point by point and try to find a way to work though them.

q2:

I would say what we all do with our private time is bewteen d and that person, if you don't have a say then neither should she or anyone else. xx

Do you ever feel like you're tip-toeing around her, altering your behaviour in order to appease her? If so, stop. You say that you've only gotten more time than her a few times in years... So be more assertive, and get more time with him. Then let her keep score, let her complain that you spend more time with D than she does. And then say to her: "So what? Deal with it. You're not #1, and you are not entitled to special treatment. Get over it, or find someone who wants a #1." The only reason she continues these outbursts is because they're working for her. The only way to make them stop is to quit allowing them to work for her. Even that doesn't guarantee they'll stop, but you can be sure they won't stop as long as they're creating the outcome she desires.

People will tend to behave the way they always have, until they begin to behave differently. If Ka shows no signs that she's going to stop asking, quit hoping that repeatedly requesting it will magically make it happen.

I agree with previous posts that it's D who's dropping the ball here. After a certain point, the "he's new to this" argument stops holding water. You've told him explicitly what you want him to do: Stop sharing details about your relationship with Ka. There's nothing about being new to poly that makes that unclear or especially difficult. There is something about being a passive person that makes that difficult, and if that's how he is, then it's not likely to change. Don't make excuses for him.

Unfortunately, from what you've said, it doesn't sound like the situation is likely to change. You're doing everything you can to cope, and it's not enough to make you feel comfortable. You might need to consider that Ka's baggage is "the price of admission" for being with D, and then decide whether your relationship with D is worth that price.

Someone who doesn't want to be involved with someone who engages in particular acts and those acts could be going on with one of his other partners. Do we tell that person its none of their business? That they shouldn't be able to ask for assurance that one of there partners is indeed someone they would have no qualms about being intimate with?

Ka is not asking whether they engage in particular acts, she knows they do. When and how often is absolutely none of her business. It only feeds her insecurity, and has absolutely no effect on her safety.

Clearly, she does have qualms about being intimate with someone who is intimate with others. Why she's still in a polyamorous relationship is beyond me, she doesn't really seem cut out for it.

Ka is not asking whether they engage in particular acts, she knows they do. When and how often is absolutely none of her business. It only feeds her insecurity, and has absolutely no effect on her safety.

Clearly, she does have qualms about being intimate with someone who is intimate with others. Why she's still in a polyamorous relationship is beyond me, she doesn't really seem cut out for it.

I've noticed that there are some people who try to be "poly" as a test to see if their significant other really loves them. Like, they let them go to other people, but they are always the best and they always get the most time, and maybe their SO eventually decides that even after all that shopping around, there is really no one but them.

It is kind of an insecurity thing, and not a good place to start poly from. If you are being poly to play the comparison game and to prove how you stand up in comparison to others, you are setting yourself and your partner up for a lot of hurt and resentment, and should probably stick to swinging if anything.

I don’t believe it is ok for me to decide what information is important to someone else. HOWEVER, I do get to decide what information I’m comfortable sharing. Why does another’s need to know trump my need for privacy?

It is a conundrum and has me wondering the same. I'm in no way admonishing. Just that when it isn't something we need some times it is easy to consider it something no one SHOULD need. But needs vary from what I can tell.

I have conflicting feelings about this. If we’re talking about safer sex practices, I fully agree that every partner has a right to know. And I want to know who my lover is having sex with and would expect that his other partners feel the same. And all of us know who D is having sex with: the three of us and no one else as we are a closed group.

And for this I'd wonder if it compounds the problem coloring it as a get with it or get out angle for anyone. He is THE male source for all - FIN? No room for compromise on this? Or no want or interest presently but its negotionable?

If there is a particular act that someone isn’t comfortable with, they have every right to say so and to not engage in that act. I even agree that they can ask their partner if they engage in that act with others and then choose not to be with that partner; they don’t have a right to insist that their partner not engage in said act with another willing partner. And if they ask and are told, yes, I do engage in that act with my other partner/s, they have their answer and it is really none of their business how often said act occurs.

I have met a person who is completely squeamish about anything related to bdsm and wouldn't want to be with anyone who engages in it even with others.
As well there is another thread on here about kink waxing and waning with one partner who misses it while they know their partner participates in it with others. I just didn't know if that was an influencing part of this situation you're dealing with.

Maybe I’m missing something… Ka **knows** D and I have sex on a regular basis. What possible difference does it make if over any given time period, we have sex once, 10 times or not at all? Or if we have lights off missionary sex in the bed or swinging from a trapeze 20 feet in the air outside?

It could matter if the trapeze was Ka's favorite and now she gets none of that anymore while YOU do. I have no idea if that is what up but I could see how it might hurt if that was going on and she might ask about it trying to figure out why she isn't getting to enjoy it too. If it is just down to her wanting to know all intimacy acts - how often - just so she can tally it up and match it then I can totally see why it would be a big headache to deal with.

Whether or not I’m made aware of any disruption, I feel it. Problems between D and Ka spill over into my relationship even if he doesn’t say anything. And it boils down to this: she is asking about the frequency of our sexual encounters to keep score; not because she is uncomfortable with us doing certain things, but because she wants to ensure that I don’t get more or “better” than she does. I KNOW this because she said, out of her own mouth, “I get bent when I think you’re having more sex than me.” If she was asking because it turned her on or out of genuine curiousity, I would more easily give up some privacy.

Thanks for clarifying - its exactly what I was wondering. It does make me wonder though - you're all pretty intimate even with each other and not just with D. I wouldn't even begin to know how to have privacy without making someone I AM intimate with feel like a need, especially a new need for privacy isn't a rejection and personal. You can know this and this and every inch of my body but not how often I have sex? I'm not saying its wrong to try, I just don't get how it could be done without those moments of privacy feeling exclusionary and intentional. Maybe she can't either? It is a very interesting situation to me.

But, when she asks, doesn’t like the answer, gets pissy about it and then the fallout hits me, my instinct is to pull back, close up and say it’s none of your business! What D and I do when alone is between us. And I do believe that D and I should have things that are just between us; this applies to his other relationships as well. Ka wants to know EVERYTHING because she needs assurance that she is “special” and she seeks that by a) spending more time with him and b) getting more sex. She want to be most important, number one, QBIC and that irritates the hell out of me as we’ve ALL discussed and agreed that the relationship is not structured that way.

I'm starting to wonder if its not all down to some fumbling on D's part. Hes not living up to something with her and she is freaking out due to it? There something going on with them, some agreement or standard that he is telling her is okay but not cluing you into? Something seems amiss for sure.

Yes, Ka and myself have regular scheduled one on one date nights with D; Ki doesn’t – they occasionally have one on one nights. And Ka, Ki and myself are not lovers to each other. We are not sexually or romantically involved with each other. We are all straight and only have sex with D. The three of us are close, love each other and are affectionate with each other, but we’re not in love with each other. I’ll going a little more in depth about our dynamics below and this is important to know.

I agree. She does know what happens with Ki because she’s there. I honestly believe that Ka wants to know and, to an extent, control everything about D’s sex life. She would gladly be there every time he has sex and still want one on one sex too.

Her jealousy of me has waned, but it’s still there BECAUSE she isn’t there for my one on one relationship with D. She still views me as “competition”. To be honest, there is some truth to that. Love may not be limited, but time is limited and so is attention and energy to include sexual energy. Any time spent with me is time not spent with her; any sex with me takes away potential sexual energy from her. And the same is true for me. Plus, Ka and I are very similar in our sexual tastes and appetites, while Ki is more vanilla and less libidinous.
Perhaps D isn't being realistic in how much gas his tank can hold as the only male lover in the mix and she is feeling the pinch of it?

On to the more in depth (romantic/sexual) dynamics:

D-myself: regular scheduled one on one date nights
D-Ka: regular scheduled one on one date nights
D-Ki: occasional one on one date nights
D-Ki-Ka: regular scheduled date nights (they’ve been in this threesome for almost 2 years)
D-myself-Ka: semi-regular threesomes
D-myself-Ka-Ki: occasional foursomes
D-myself-Ki: haven’t done it and not forcing it
(Of course, there are the friendships between and among myself, Ka and Ki, but I’m only dealing with the sexual aspects of our dynamic.)

So, we are very comfortable with each other and pretty familiar with each other’s sexuality. Maybe that’s why some boundaries are blurred. And to be fair, I’ve never asked Ka not to ask about my private time with D, nor I have asked him not to tell her. Like I said above, my renewed desire for more privacy surrounding my sex life with D, is due more to the fallout from her reaction to his answers, than anything else.

And the only one of these dynamics that Ka has a real issue with is the one between D and myself for all the reasons outlined above. At this point, I’ve accepted that there is a problem and I’ve done what I can to be supportive and understanding, but it’s not my issue to resolve. I’m just trying to effectively deal with and minimize the impact on me, my relationship with D and my relationship with Ka.

Thanks again for the responses. They were great tools in helping me clarify what I’m feeling.

Pipersgirl

Rules of Engagement game changers

Ok it's inevitable that change occur in relationships. Our Vee has changed slowly over time. Each new negotiation makes for new experience and perfection of what works for us. What I want to know is, what boundaries or "rules" have changed for you over time? What has stayed the same?

Example: In the beginning we had a very constricting policy of no casual sex without text permission or a phone call before hand. Now that has changed to no permissions required as long as there is condom use. I think it changed because I wasn't as trusting as I am now and because my insecurity gave me the sense that I needed to control their behavior. Control was no longer serving the relationship.

How bout you? Anything change that you seemed very firm on at first? What was it and why or how did it change?

MC and I have been together for almost 15 years, as we've definitely changed the "rules" many times. We started in college with just make-out sessions and only if the other wasn't there (studying, at work, out of town, whatever). It wasn't until this year that he became comfortable enough with the idea of me having PiV sex with TGIB to change that rule, and there have been tons of baby step changes along the way.

A few things that stand out to me as things that have stayed the same are, we've always been honest with each other about what we wanted and what we weren't comfortable with, even when those two things didn't line up, we've always been willing to listen, consider, and give things time, and we've always been willing to give each other the benefit of the doubt and forgive when, in our human-ness, a boundary was at least pushed, and once in a while even stepped over a little. We both have the ability to say, "I understand why that happened but I don't like it. I don't think you were trying to hurt me on purpose, but please make an extra effort from now on not to let it happen again." Those things now extend to my relationship with TGIB as well. There haven't been nearly as many rule changes with TGIB, but it's only been a year and at the moment he's not dating anyone besides me, so there haven't been many negotiations necessary (yet).

Last edited:
Hi all,

Thanks for the responses.

Combining posts:

with poly relationships everyone should look at their relationship as just them as the partner and do they get the emotional , sexual and loving needs out of that relationship, it is hard not to compare but you should never compare how d is with you and how different it is with her.

I strive not to compare and I usually succeed. However, there is no way for me not to notice how much more time she normally gets - I made my peace with that a long time ago. Luckily, I don't need, nor want, constant contact with a lover.

another issue on time, the problem with having more than one partner is sharing them equal, can you have one weekend each and share the other weekend as a foursome? have two days on week each maybe but set days every week or set weekends so noone feels left out and hopefully everyone will be happy.

We have discussed that, but neither Ka nor myself want to only see him once a month one on one. And he doesn't want that either. We actually tried it when all three relationships were completely separate and it didn't work then, so it wouldn't work now.

Do you ever feel like you're tip-toeing around her, altering your behaviour in order to appease her? If so, stop. You say that you've only gotten more time than her a few times in years... So be more assertive, and get more time with him. Then let her keep score, let her complain that you spend more time with D than she does. And then say to her: "So what? Deal with it. You're not #1, and you are not entitled to special treatment. Get over it, or find someone who wants a #1." The only reason she continues these outbursts is because they're working for her. The only way to make them stop is to quit allowing them to work for her. Even that doesn't guarantee they'll stop, but you can be sure they won't stop as long as they're creating the outcome she desires.

I don't alter my behavior for her or tiptoe around her. I am honest and true to myself. I wouldn't say her outbursts have "worked" - there have been times when D wouldn't see her for weeks and/or limited the amount of time they spent together. I will agree that there haven't been any long-term consequences to those outbursts. The problem is she has been told she's not number one and never will be. That knowledge doesn't effect her desire to "keep score".

I agree with previous posts that it's D who's dropping the ball here. After a certain point, the "he's new to this" argument stops holding water. You've told him explicitly what you want him to do: Stop sharing details about your relationship with Ka. There's nothing about being new to poly that makes that unclear or especially difficult. There is something about being a passive person that makes that difficult, and if that's how he is, then it's not likely to change. Don't make excuses for him.

D has dropped the ball, admitted that and made positive changes. And to be fair, I have only told D not to share "details"; I've never told him not to tell her if we had sex or how many times.

Unfortunately, from what you've said, it doesn't sound like the situation is likely to change. You're doing everything you can to cope, and it's not enough to make you feel comfortable. You might need to consider that Ka's baggage is "the price of admission" for being with D, and then decide whether your relationship with D is worth that price.

I've thought about that a lot. Most of the time, I feel happy, content and comfortable in this relationship. Then wham! I get hit by the SAME issue that we've dealt with 111 times. That's frustrating. Being with D is worth it.

I 100% agree with this. It's none of my business when and how often they have sex or engage in certain activities. If I'm dissatisfied with some aspect of my relationship with D, I address with him and I don't bring up what he does with Ka (or Ki for that matter).

And for this I'd wonder if it compounds the problem coloring it as a get with it or get out angle for anyone. He is THE male source for all - FIN? No room for compromise on this? Or no want or interest presently but its negotionable?

There is some room for compromise. Speaking for myself, I have no want nor interest at this time.

It could matter if the trapeze was Ka's favorite and now she gets none of that anymore while YOU do. I have no idea if that is what up but I could see how it might hurt if that was going on and she might ask about it trying to figure out why she isn't getting to enjoy it too. If it is just down to her wanting to know all intimacy acts - how often - just so she can tally it up and match it then I can totally see why it would be a big headache to deal with.

I can see this... sorta. But, like I said above, if I wasn't getting trapeze, I'd bring it up to D as to why we haven't done it, not ask if he's been doing with Ka and how often and then get made about the answer. What does that accomplish?

For the record, that isn't the case. It's not that I'm getting something that she wants and doesn't get - it's about the tally.

Thanks for clarifying - its exactly what I was wondering. It does make me wonder though - you're all pretty intimate even with each other and not just with D. I wouldn't even begin to know how to have privacy without making someone I AM intimate with feel like a need, especially a new need for privacy isn't a rejection and personal. You can know this and this and every inch of my body but not how often I have sex? I'm not saying its wrong to try, I just don't get how it could be done without those moments of privacy feeling exclusionary and intentional. Maybe she can't either? It is a very interesting situation to me.

I've never told her when or how often D and I have sex. She has always gotten that information from him. I can see how it could be interpreted as a rejection; though given her trust issues, she would most likely take it as we were hiding something. And I think that is her biggest fear: that we're keeping "secrets" and in the end, she is going to lose D. Though, I do believe that D and I should have and need some "exclusionary and intentional" moments of privacy. Those feed ourrelationship.

Hes not living up to something with her and she is freaking out due to it? There something going on with them, some agreement or standard that he is telling her is okay but not cluing you into? Something seems amiss for sure.

I don't think this is the case. If she doesn't get her "regular" time with D, she becomes clingy and needy; she has admitted this. Of course, D HATES clingy and needy and gets frustrated because if he doesn't spend time with her (or any of us), it's because he truly can't. And if I get my "regular" time, it compounds the issue and means that he loves me more.

Perhaps D isn't being realistic in how much gas his tank can hold as the only male lover in the mix and she is feeling the pinch of it?

She doesn't feel the pinch any more than me. And we're all pretty realistic about the gas tank and know that choosing to stay in this relationship means that we won't get sex as often as preferred. I stay because there's more here than just sex. Hell, there would lots easier ways to get sex all the time!

Pipersgirl

with poly relationships everyone should look at their relationship as just them as the partner and do they get the emotional , sexual and loving needs out of that relationship, it is hard not to compare but you should never compare how d is with you and how different it is with her.[/I]

I strive not to compare and I usually succeed. However, there is no way for me not to notice how much more time she normally gets - I made my peace with that a long time ago. Luckily, I don't need, nor want, constant contact with a lover.

Quote:

We have discussed that, but neither Ka nor myself want to only see him once a month one on one. And he doesn't want that either. We actually tried it when all three relationships were completely separate and it didn't work then, so it wouldn't work now.

maybe not once a month then but equal time thoughout the month then, or when he is with the other person don't make a tally of how many times he sees one girl over the other.

right now are you happy with your relationship with him? and ask the other women if they are, if they are and you are then try to forget the outside negs on your relationship and get them to deal with it as it is not your fault x

Is there no possibility for a closer association to grow? It would seem Ka is an SO to you and Ki also and really, all of you are to each other. You are intimate with them and have love for them so maybe Ka is struggling with this being treated like 3 straight mono women and one poly guy when that isn't really what is going on. Could it be she is wanting that kind of acknowledgement from all her lovers and not just D?

I can see this... sorta. But, like I said above, if I wasn't getting trapeze, I'd bring it up to D as to why we haven't done it, not ask if he's been doing with Ka and how often and then get made about the answer. What does that accomplish?

Well said. It accomplishes nothing.

She doesn't feel the pinch any more than me. And we're all pretty realistic about the gas tank and know that choosing to stay in this relationship means that we won't get sex as often as preferred. I stay because there's more here than just sex. Hell, there would lots easier ways to get sex all the time!

Equal treatment is not always enough for everyone. A child with disabilities will get more special treatment from his parent, because he will need it. A more independent child might not mind letting herself in after school. Receiving the same treatment isn't the same as feeling the same pinch. You are more suited to tolerate a mono-poly relationship than Ka seems to be.

What are your poly relationship rules?

So I'm really curious as to what rules people have in their poly relationships that help them succeed at a loving poly relationship. If there was a "polyamory for dummies" book, what would you write (a summarized version please ;))?

Back