Wandering traveller new to poly

EmmaPaige

So, I'm Emma (yep I used my real name in my username whoops, but I'm not too fussed if anyone figures out who I am). I live in Australia but travel a lot. I am a 25 year old female. I don't really follow the Western conceptualisations of human sexuality, I am just attracted to people and their gender/sexuality/whatever is just something that comes with that person. I have dated and/or slept with men, women, transwomen and am open to anyone if there are sparks.

I have had some successful relationships with men but no LTR with women, just short term, but all my sexual and emotional relationships seemed to lack something. I'm not assuming that polyamory is a saviour for my future relationships just that it is something I have always wanted to explore and I think it would bring a new dynamic to my emotional and physical needs and I think change and new things are invigorating.

I love to travel, write, read, listen to and make music, nature, hiking, camping, entheogens, art, doofing (probs only the Aussies will know that one). Hmmm it's hard to do these intros! I'm not sure what else makes up my essence so not sure what to add. Anyway, looking forward to learning more about polyamory and getting to know new people!

Greetings Emma,
Welcome to our forum.

You seem like an exciting and open-minded person, and I think you will make a lot of friends here. Have a look around, and see what threads call to you. Post your thoughts, questions, and concerns as they arise. There is so much to learn about polyamory, and so much info available on this site!

You might find our Golden Nuggets board a good place to start, it covers a lot of the basics and gets you started. I also think you might enjoy our Life stories and blogs board. Anyway, just have a look around! (and take advantage of our search feature and tag search.)

It's great to have you aboard; I liked your intro and hope to run into you more on the various boards.

Sincerely,
Kevin T.

Hi Emma, welcome.

I am also a cisgendered female, but ID as genderqueer. My gf of 4+ years is a transwoman and pansexual. My bf of 21 months is a cisgendered, pansexual genderqueer IDed person as well.

Heh, that's a lot of labels.

Polyamory is a lot of work. It's extremely important to know yourself well, be relatively free of issues (therapy helps), before attempting to maintain relationships with 2 or more people. It can get overwhelming for even the strongest most mature of us!

It's real fun when it's all working though.

Good luck on your journey.

Hello, Emma, and welcome!

So educate an ignorant American, dearheart... what is doofing?

Yay, thanks everyone! I'm excited to spend more time getting to know everyone in these forums :)

(as if I needed another reason to spend hours getting to know strangers on the internet instead of leaving the house haha)

A doof is an outdoor music party usually held in a remote location like a rainforest or bush area. It's a bit like a rave except a bunch of hippies took it outback haha. It usually has a really good sound and lighting system with top local and national (sometimes international for the big ones) DJs playing trance, psy trance and some other electronic dance music. It's a really beautiful, spiritual environment with a focus on minimal impact on our surroundings and a focus on love and connection between people. There'll often be side stalls featuring craft things, cuddle puddles (my fave!), meditation etc. It's a kinda hard subculture to define because each state is quite different in style of doofing. I've only been involved for a few years but I love it and have found a beautiful 'doof family' wherever I go (I've lived in a few different states).

I used to know this lovely Aussie girl (via the internet) who told me hippies are called "ferals" down there. I always loved that. It has a beautiful descriptive quality to it. She sent me pictures once that I now realize were from a doof, judging from your description.

We don't have anything like that here. Maybe up in the NW, I don't know. The Rainbow Family gatherings have gone so far underground that I am not sure they even still exist. That was the closest thing we had to what you are describing.

*sigh* I miss my hippie friends desperately.

I was thinking the same, only for me: ignorant european woman... Haha

I used to know this lovely Aussie girl (via the internet) who told me hippies are called "ferals" down there. I always loved that. It has a beautiful descriptive quality to it. She sent me pictures once that I now realize were from a doof, judging from your description.

We don't have anything like that here. Maybe up in the NW, I don't know. The Rainbow Family gatherings have gone so far underground that I am not sure they even still exist. That was the closest thing we had to what you are describing.

Awww yep ferals, or as a lot of Aussies call them 'fezzas'. Aussies like to add 'zza' to the end of everything haha. I'm a proud fezza :D

Sleepygirl - I grew up nearby those Rainbow gatherings & never went to them. I read tonight on Okc a Guy's profile mentioning the rainbow gathering recently so it is still there.

Back