View Single Post
Old 01-04-2010, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quila View Post
I also have to agree that I've always thought there was something missing from "friends with benefits," because it implies other friendships don't have benefits.
I am not sure I like the term "friends with benefits" for this reason also. I am not so sure having sex with friends is always a benefit actually. Sometimes it hinders friendship I would think. I prefer the term "intimate friends" when referring to friends I have sex with as a part of our friendship. Somehow it seems to add more respect for the connection that sex gives a relationship. "Fuck buddy" for me is something I have done while drunk with someone and had no connection to myself or the person. Such as when I was swinging (although I know some actually have friendship relationships with those they swing with, I never did, hence my belief here for myself). Anyone I have slept with otherwise I know intimate things about in some way, from their body or how they respond sexually. That to me denotes an intimacy that is not a "benefit" because they are not "giving" it to me but sharing and I with them.

Maybe "intimate friend" is just a bit deeper than "fuck buddy." for some it may be. I will have to think more about what I think on this... I think for now I see the terms in order of no connection to friendly connection as such; "fuck buddy," "friends with benefits" and then "intimate friends."

Actually, it seems to me that I have a scale from "fuck buddy" to the relationship depth I have with my husband and boyfriend. Each time I go up that scale with someone the other is not left behind but they all become a part of the relationship. Once a "fuck buddy" for me turns into a "friend with benefits" the latter is not lost kind of thing. I have just gained more depth I think. For me and my two men we do all of the above it seems, just depending on the mood or quality of intimacy we wanting to engage in.

Last edited by NeonKaos; 01-04-2010 at 07:07 PM. Reason: merge posts