Movies: That would have been better with a poly ending.

Corpse Bride, for sure. Why the hell should Victor have had to choose between Victoria and Emily?

Hunger Games; Peeta/Katniss/Gale is my OT3.

Also, this has already been mentioned, but Harry Potter has a lot of possibilities; Snape/Lily/James, Remus/Sirius/Tonks, Harry/Ron/Hermione, Harry/pretty much anyone.

LOL Twilight XD
All of the agony and drama could be totally removed! Except for the plot twist re Jacob in Breaking Dawn.

LOL this is awesome! Recently I've been thinking this way too. How many movies would be so much better with poly endings? Why don't film- makers make more poly movies? You reckon we need to tell them about the demand?

OK, OK: not a film, but other people have mentioned television series, so I´ll say that I´m amazed that nobody has mentioned "The L Word". Of course it was - in a way - a glorified, sexy, funny soap opera, so jealousy issues and relationships falling apart because of new love interests were to a large part what it fed on. But still...

Shane was the only one of the MAIN characters who was happy to be non-monogamous - and the writers/directors/producers were obviously trying to get across to the audience that Shane was non-monogamous [promiscuous] because of a weakness in her character: due to a history of abandonment and LOW-class prostitution, she was "afraid to commit". All the other main characters LOVED her... but pitied her and hoped that she´d find "the right girl" and settle down. (She only SEEMED to be happy: really she was an emotional cripple [in their eyes].)

One of Shane´s lovers, Payne (a short-lived minor character, but one of my 4 favourite characters in the whole 70-episode run [mothers turn me on!]), even offered Shane an open relationship. But she turned it down!:(:(:(

Aside from - obviously - Shane... Alice and Dana could have profitted from a V or triad relationship. Alice-Dana-Lara should have worked as a V. It´s ironic that when Dana, the potential hinge, was out of the picture, Alice and Lara [minor character, but also in my top 4: OMG was she lovely!] become lovers (possibly to console each other, but it worked... for a while).

Then later, there were all the signs that Alice AND Tasha were BOTH falling in love with Jamie, but - instead of going for it and being HAPPY - television romantic drama rules forced Alice (the WONDERFUL #1:):)) to get jealous and lay down a tearful ultimatum. "Go with her and work it out. If you´re not back by this time tomorrow, I´ll know what you´ve decided."

Come ON!!! I know that other people on this board - even on this thread - have argued that unless there´s conflict, films are boring. But for a show that was breaking all sorts of tabus (and had LOADS of other characters who could confront - and lose to - jealousy) NOT to address polyamory fairly - when it was staring them right in the face - was an act of cowardice!

90% of all romance movies/books/tv shows.

One of the most common themes I've seen in these stories is the love triangle as the central problem that the story rests on. In most cases, there's no solid reason a poly or poly-esq arrangement wouldn't work out aside from the characters being barely emotionally stable enough for one relationship, let alone two.

"You MUST choose! Spend your life with me, Fernando the baker, or with him, Constatine the butcher!"

Real mature, Fabio.

Love this thread. I thought I was the only idiot who yelled at people in movies to just be together. My personal favorite is Holiday Inn. Every year at Christmas there I am yelling at the TV. "You can make movies in Hollywood between the holidays and they can both keep dancing at the Inn AHHHHHHHH!!!!!" I know every Bing Crosby movie is based on the love triangle premise but what's a girl to do, NOT fall in love with him? have you heard him sing?

take this waltz
(someone must have already mentioned it, right? didn't come up in a search though. throughout that whole movie i was just like "taaaalk to your husband! don't throw it all away just because you're into this other guy now!" so annoying.)

Someone mentioned Star Wars - why shouldn't two consenting adults get it on without getting hassle? What guy hasn't entertained the thought of bedding twins?

Someone mentioned Star Wars - why shouldn't two consenting adults get it on without getting hassle? What guy hasn't entertained the thought of bedding twins?
That's part of why I always considered Luke to kinda be a whiny little bitch.

"Waaahhhh, I have a magic sword that can cut through ANYTHING and magic powers that let me move shit with my mind and I can make out with my hot sister and no one cares! My life is so HORRIBLE!"

It's a pretty long thread so I haven't read all the responses... but did any one mention

Keeping the Faith -- where two guys (both are best friends and are great) fall for a similarly great gal. And she falls for both of them but because of the lives they lead-- one is a catholic priest and the other a rabbi, she can only have one. And she chooses the rabbi.

But the rub is the catholic priest was willing to give up the collar to be with her and he didn't want to loose his relationship with his best friend. Sounds like a perfect opportunity for a mfm - v!

Alot of movies that involve explicitly autistic characters, in my view seam to be highly demeaning also many try to make every quirk look back and completely overlook the sorts of injustices that do exist, while simultaneously trying to give worse example of what it's like than rainman.
I think just about every movie would be better with a poly ending, provided that the movie isn't utterly shite to begin with.

:
–>>"Waaahhhh, I have a magic sword that can cut through ANYTHING and magic powers that let me move shit with my mind and I can make out with my hot sister and no one cares! My life is so HORRIBLE!"
Ensign Marry And Michael Sue MUST DIE!,
it must also be said in real life someone like jaja binks would have argued against… a more powerful leader.

Last edited:
Slightly off topic.

Has anyone ever noticed the insurance commercial where the couple's in bed then up pops a contractor and tells them they're ok.
Then the narrator turns the light on and off.

Okay, this screams sooo many things in a subliminal way.

First, when the contractor sat up. That said to me that was a MMF sleeping arrangement.
Right before the light was turned off. The contractor guy laid back down as if he sleeps there anyway and the husband never moved.
They didn't switch places so the wife would be in the middle. It didn't seem awkward to them at all.

Next was the narrator sitting there in the dark like a voyeur.

Does anyone else see it the same?

Slightly off topic.

Has anyone ever noticed the insurance commercial where the couple's in bed then up pops a contractor and tells them they're ok.
Then the narrator turns the light on and off.

Okay, this screams sooo many things in a subliminal way.

First, when the contractor sat up. That said to me that was a MMF sleeping arrangement.
Right before the light was turned off. The contractor guy laid back down as if he sleeps there anyway and the husband never moved.
They didn't switch places so the wife would be in the middle. It didn't seem awkward to them at all.

Next was the narrator sitting there in the dark like a voyeur.

Does anyone else see it the same?

YES!!! After lurking for a long while I really needed to delurk to say that, lol. That commercial always makes me wonder!

Yes- I watch the Bachelor and the Bachelorette. In fact-seeing a person dating that many people and getting really close and intimate to that many people is one of the things that helped me to allow myself to pursue poly relationships. I have watched people actually fall in love with several people at a time towards the end of the show. It might be a better show if poly were a common reality!
I had exactly the same feeling when watching the Bachelorette! It's ironic that such a mononormative dating show serves as an excellent demonstration that one can love multiple people simultaneously. However, once they picked the final winner, all the others were immediately demoted to "just friends." Isn't it sad? :(

Not sure if it has been mentioned already, but I think the movie Imagine Me & You could have a poly ending.

@ Adventures
YES!!! After lurking for a long while I really needed to delurk to say that, lol. That commercial always makes me wonder!

Lurking can do that. I lurked for along time before I replied to a comment recently. Sometimes the right words can bring things out of us. Am I right? The only things that can do it faster is: road rage and music ;)

Cyrano de Bergerac (the play, and any of the movie versions of it).

That way, the title character wouldn't have had to be such a miserable emo loser. I mean, well-spoken and poetic as his nose is long, but still . . . such needless anguish!

Best. Thread. Evar! :)

I don't have any suggestions (yet) but I am a movie lover so I may add to this thread soon. It has been fun to read and I especially love Casablanca and 2012.

Oh wait, I do have one - "Move Over Darling" with Doris Day and James Garner which is a remake of "My Favorite Wife" with Cary Grant. Both were well done and could have ended with a nice poly ending.

Back