Sex in LT Poly relationships

lolalondon

Hi! I have a question about managing sexual expression with primaries in LT relationships - in a way this follows on from Nathan's interesting post about being a primary's sexual secondary...

I've been with my bf for over 2 years, open from the start but taking a more poly direction recently; he's always been poly at heart, I'm more of a swinger and it took me time to feel settled and secure enough to be comfortable with him having emotional connections with others. As for me, I just need sexual freedom - I love variety and have enjoy being promiscuous - always playing safe, of course, but I an not interested in managing several committed relationships. We've been very honest with each other and managed to accept and understand our differences. I never doubt how much he cares for me and we are extremely close.

We're both equally into having many sexual partners and experimenting. When we met it was insane NRE and we would have sex 4 times a day, often extremely kinky BDSM (we both switch), I’d be covered in marks... Over the years, we still have a lot of sex (usually every time we see each other, so about 4 times a week). But the intensity and BDSM side of things has lessened. I know a lot of it is to do with the way relationships often get more cuddly when you're closer and more comfortable with each other, and also any tensions we've had caused the kink to take a back seat. But still... I have been pursuing other doms over the time we've been together, and now I feel like I mostly have to go outside the relationship to have this need met. And now he's started seeing a girl who's a sub. We do communicate, he does dominate me, so it's not like it never happens - but there's a part of me that's a bit sad we're going outside the relationship to do the kind of kink we used to do together all the time. He’s still happy with the way I dom him and hasn’t yet looked for anyone else to do this with, although I actually don’t mind if he does.

We don’t have any “problem”, really, but I guess I'm interested in the ways people’s sex life in LT polyships work out:

• If you’re kinky, have you found that kink levels decrease as you get closer/cuddly/more emotionally intimate? Or is it more of a “wax and wane” over the course of time?
  • Is it often the case that when you meet new sexual partners you direct more extreme sexual behaviour towards them and away from the primary relationship?
  • Does NRE with others generally lead to less sex between primaries?
  • If you’re into BDSM play, do you have any restrictions on BDSM with others, or does everything go?
  • If you’re into D/S play, how do you manage this with having an extremely equal relationship in all other ways? Sometimes it’s hard for either of us to let the other take control because we’re so equal in all other arenas, and both extremely independent people… it’s almost like it’s easier with someone you’re not in such a close partnership with, I’m wondering if others can relate.
  • Do you get jealous if your primary does something sexually with another partner you crave and hasn’t happened in a while? Do you talk about it, and how do you do this without them feeling you’re pressuring them into a certain sex act? Or do you just tell yourself it's none of your business because every relationship is different, and you’re glad he’s having fun?

If you’re kinky, have you found that kink levels decrease as you get closer/cuddly/more emotionally intimate? Or is it more of a “wax and wane” over the course of time?

Wax and wane. I do not engage in edge play of the body when

• sick
  • tired
  • upset in some fashion
  • too happy/giddy/hyper
  • time limits (do not want to rush a scene)
  • too recent since last major scene (The top or bottom "natural high" and endorphins and things need time to clear the body. Kinking on a high is no good.)

Any of those can lead to mistakes, and mistakes in kink can be disaster.

But non-kinky sex also functions on a "wax and wane" thing long term -- stuff has to happen. Work, kids, caring for aging parents, bills -- making time for sex to happen IN is always a balancing act regardless of the type of sex it is.

Is it often the case that when you meet new sexual partners you direct more extreme sexual behaviour towards them and away from the primary relationship?

You are on the NRE high with a new person -- so yah. Tempted to go at it like bunnies (frequency) because you want to keep getting the feel good hits. It's hormone brain cascade.

But "extreme" sexual behaviour? Does that mean kink stuff? NO. Some things are earned in time. I do not START there.

To want to get a double hit -- NRE high + kink high -- with a new person to me is dangerous drunk driving. Whether bottom or top -- that's a lot of hormone cascade and if I'm top -- I could get into topspace and make mistakes because I do not know my bottom well enough to "read" them right. If I'm a bottom, I could get to the "no words" point and not even be able to safeword out. And this new top might not know me well enough to know my tells.

That requires scene negotiation and ramp up time in scene intensity -- to MINIMIZE that tempatation of driving drunk and MAXIMIZE the knowing each other well to play well. I just can't see me jumping feet first with a new kink playmate to the extremest edges of where I kink play. There's not enough trust built yet for that. I want to bring someone or do phone check in/check out at start end of scene so someone else knows where I'm at with new person player.

Say the kink is bondage -- alright. Start with honor bondage the. PRETEND you are tied up. Do not move. Next time? A simple quick release on the hands perhaps -- or just one hand. Then increase from there. No way I'd allow legs -- I want to be able to walk/run/kick if I have to.

I just can't see me leaping into the deeper end of the bondage pool with predicament or suspension bondage or things on that end with some new person whose skills I do not know all alone. That's not a risk I want to take.

Does NRE with others generally lead to less sex between primaries?

Depends? How the person is managing their NRE time and balancing ORE?

If you’re into BDSM play, do you have any restrictions on BDSM with others, or does everything go?

Things are earned in time, dude. I'm not opening myself up all the way to some barely known stranger.

There's ethics to BDSM to do it well just like there's ethics to polyamory. Not everyone in BDSM or polyamory communities is there flying under honest flag colors. That's a reality.

If you’re into D/S play, how do you manage this with having an extremely equal relationship in all other ways?

It's a D/s scene -- you AGREE to your parameters. Within this arena, you can boss me about. Or I'll boss you about.

it’s almost like it’s easier with someone you’re not in such a close partnership with, I’m wondering if others can relate.

Red flag to me. I can only let go of control with complete trust with person I know extremely well because I know they will keep it in the arena negotiated before the scene. For me, that is DH, and no other. Some things are earned. And I'm not playing D/s scenes with an unknown variable. No fuckin' way. You can safeword out only if the dom will respect that limit and you trust them to do it. What happens if they don't? Ack! :eek:

Do you get jealous if your primary does something sexually with another partner you crave and hasn’t happened in a while? Do you talk about it, and how do you do this without them feeling you’re pressuring them into a certain sex act? Or do you just tell yourself it's none of your business because every relationship is different, and you’re glad he’s having fun?

If I have a want, need, limit? In my universe it is my responsibility to report. I cannot expect my partner to mind reader me.

So if the agreement with partner is that there is no TMI wall up, and we share intimate details of what's going on with other partners, and I hear about something that I want some of? I will say "Aw... me too! Can I get some sometime? That sounds fun!"

And we can negotiate that.

GG

Last edited:
If you’re kinky, have you found that kink levels decrease as you get closer/cuddly/more emotionally intimate? Or is it more of a “wax and wane” over the course of time?
For me, wax and wane, depending on what's going on in life.

Is it often the case that when you meet new sexual partners you direct more extreme sexual behaviour towards them and away from the primary relationship?
If I stopped directing energy to an existing partner to focus it on a new partner, its more likely that I don't have the emotional or physical energy to juggle both. If that was the case I'd ask existing partners if it was going to negatively affect them having LESS of the activity from me (be that kink, a dance partner, or or never going to thai restaurants with me anymore because I was always having thai food with my new partner), and make decisions about what to do if the answer was yes.

Having sex at all makes me want to have more sex, so it just makes me want to have sex with my husband every day.

If you’re into BDSM play, do you have any restrictions on BDSM with others, or does everything go?
There are things on my BDSM list I would like to do that my husband is not comfortable with, therefore they are off the table because his comfort > my desire to have those things in my life. Some of those things are able to be negotiated when somebody has been around long enough that husband trusts the other person to be safe with me, but a couple things seem non negotiable.

If you’re into D/S play, how do you manage this with having an extremely equal relationship in all other ways? Sometimes it’s hard for either of us to let the other take control because we’re so equal in all other arenas, and both extremely independent people… it’s almost like it’s easier with someone you’re not in such a close partnership with, I’m wondering if others can relate.
Not the case in my marriage, but I'm sure it is harder work to transition from equals to D/S if you switch instead of having a clear usual role. I'd probably ask on fetlife about what techniques people use to negotiate that situation for themselves.

Do you get jealous if your primary does something sexually with another partner you crave and hasn’t happened in a while? Do you talk about it, and how do you do this without them feeling you’re pressuring them into a certain sex act? Or do you just tell yourself it's none of your business because every relationship is different, and you’re glad he’s having fun?
I may get pissed if my husband did something with another person that he had NEVER done with me if I'd repeatedly asked him to, especially without talking to me first, sexual or non sexual stuff. I would get envious if he stopped doing something with me and was doing it with somebody else instead and not "in addition to". If it was kink related, well in my case I'd be very sad that he'd finally found some interest in it, as it's unlikely he would start viewing me in that light after 8 years, so I wouldn't benefit.

I do think in general it's not my business what he does as long as our agreements are being kept, however it is not my nature to want something and not keep asking for it until I get a satisfactory answer about why I can't have it (and a satisfactory answer is "I just don't feel interested in doing that with you anymore, I'll let you know if that changes"), so I'd probably bring up every few weeks or so, and after several "not in the mood" responses I'd feel compelled to sit down and say "hey buddy, I'm feeling really envious that you like doing X with them but don't seem to want to do it with me. I'm trying to figure out if it's because you just don't want to do X with me at all, or if there is something I could do to help you be interested in it." If they weren't interested, then I'd likely ask them to not talk about doing that particular activity with the other person. If it was something done in public at events, well I wouldn't avoid those but I'd work hard to find equally pleasurable distractions of my own.

It's a D/s scene -- you AGREE to your parameters. Within this arena, you can boss me about. Or I'll boss you about.

Red flag to me. I can only let go of control with complete trust with person I know extremely well because I know they will keep it in the arena negotiated before the scene. For me, that is DH, and no other. Some things are earned. And I'm not playing D/s scenes with an unknown variable. No fuckin' way. You can safeword out only if the dom will respect that limit and you trust them to do it. What happens if they don't? Ack! :eek:

Thanks GalaGirl, and Anneintherain, I find this really interesting.

I think you're right Anne about the switch thing making boundaries more fuzzy - at times both of us want to be dominated but might it hard to let go, because we have so many other roles with each other. I know I can “top from the bottom” at times and be overly clear about the things I want done to me, because apart from being a sub I’m actually naturally assertive… Something I need to work on I guess, will definitely check out Fetlife.

Gala - just wanted to clarify that I'm only referring to established/safe playmates, not some new random guy with handcuffs! But when I say "someone I'm not in such a close partnership with" I mean a playmate (can be long term) who isn't a boyfriend. Someone who hasn't nursed me when I'm sick/argued about stuff with me/held my hand through emotional meltdowns/visited my parents with me/does all the day-to-day relationship stuff with. Someone who perhaps knows me in a more one-dimensional way, sexually, but might know the sexual me very well. Yet there isn't the established relationship cuddly comfort with him. Hope that makes more sense? I agree it’s very important to play safe :)

I don't subscribe to hierarchy, but I'll switch primary for established relationship(s) and secondary for newer relationship in my answer since I feel that's what you're getting at. :)

Neither. For me it seems to take some time in a relationship to find the type of kink that works in the dynamic and with the specific person. Thus, so far I've found that my sex life with a partner includes more kink with time and the closer we get.

Is it often the case that when you meet new sexual partners you direct more extreme sexual behaviour towards them and away from the established relationship?

No way, haha!

Does NRE with others generally lead to less sex between established partners?

From what I've read here, it tends to vary a lot. Some people have a hard time focusing on anything but the new person, and in that case it is probably a risk if work isn't done to prevent that. For others (such as me), it's the other way around, and NRE for somebody also increases libido in general.

Anything the people involved feel like doing is fine.

Do you get jealous if your partner does something sexually with another partner you crave and hasn’t happened in a while? Do you talk about it, and how do you do this without them feeling you’re pressuring them into a certain sex act? Or do you just tell yourself it's none of your business because every relationship is different, and you’re glad he’s having fun?

I have limited experience with this, and in my situation it's been the case that if I haven't been able to get what I've craved, it has been due to circumstances (long-distance) and not differing wants. So, when I've felt jealous (occasionally), it's been helpful to remind myself that the circumstances would be same anyway, even if my partner wasn't having sex with somebody else.

I do think I might get jealous if I wanted to do something with my partner they were doing with another but not me. However, what I would do would depend on the reasons. If they know how important it's to me but don't feel like putting in the effort, that would tell me something quite negative about their priorities. But if they just don't feel like doing it with me (even after trying), then that is how it is, and I certainly can manage/get over the jealousy and be satisfied without that aspect [unless I can't in which case there's a problem regardless of my partner's sex life with others].

Last edited:
Gala - just wanted to clarify that I'm only referring to established/safe playmates, not some new random guy with handcuffs!
Thanks for the clarify! That gave me the heebiejeebies initially. Whew! ;)

Let me revisit that chunk then.

If you’re into D/S play, how do you manage this with having an extremely equal relationship in all other ways? Sometimes it’s hard for either of us to let the other take control because we’re so equal in all other arenas, and both extremely independent people… it’s almost like it’s easier with someone you’re not in such a close partnership with, I’m wondering if others can relate

Basically my answer is still basically the same. As a top, bottom or switch? I think it boils down to good negotiation of the scene beforehand to define the play arena and trust in the partner and the partner's skills as to how easily you can let yourself go with them either as a top or a bottom.

We both switch. Also independent. Again, some things are earned. To help set the mood and role for the scene firmly in place? To help build trust?

You could have a putting on of collar or some other "ritual" you do with each other.

Rather than only a safeword you can go colors.

• Green = all good.
  • Yellow = use caution
  • orange = something in between yellow and red, approaching red limit
  • Red = this feels ugh, change it to something else please
  • Black = Mayday! Game totally over!

There's nothing wrong with topping from the bottom if you are learning each other's styles still and need a little nudge to get the scene to move a bit. Or maybe you just LIKE topping from the bottom! :)

You can negotiate how to express those things without it taking away from the scene mood or vibe. Look up the "new topping book" or the "new bottoming book" for ideas. Or see FetLife and other resources online.

If you view having topping from the bottom as "bad form" (which I do not think it is) or view it like "not good enough at topping and my bottom has to tell me"... That's not so much about the scene I think as your communication skills, your "think on the spot" skills, and/or your esteem/confidence stuff in self or the other. Either before the scene in negotiation or during the scene or aftercare -- your confidence in your own skills or that of your partner can influence your "let go-ability" with them.

And all those can be learned and honed in time served. It's not going to progress if you don't practice your skills together. Things get earned in time because you keep moving the bar over in tiny increments. The skills grow, the trust grows.

How ARE your aftercare skills for each other? Are they weak? Are those holding you back on full on trust with your partner if you are in subspace? Or are you worried about yourself in topspace?

I had a hard time with this with DH initially and he had a hard time with this with ME. Because I can seem like I am HERE but I really am not. I can talk and answer things and have no recollection. I can also go to the no speech place. He goes to a no feedback zone. Everything is "I'm fine, I'm ok" and I cannot tell if that is true or some kind of mantra so we had to take the time to ID and learn the other "tells" and not rely only on verbal cues.

Also when topping had to learn to ride own leash in topspace and start winding the scene down when the top is at limit whether the bottom is ready or not because a bad judgement mistake from the top could be BAAAAD. Besides... it's the Top saying the game over. Deal with it, Bottom! Ha. :D

He had to learn to trust I could ride my topspace leash well enough to protect both of us from mistakes. He also had to learn to respect my topspace limit and not egg me on further. I had to learn same about him. There came the eveolution of the "1 snooze tag rule" -- past that, nope. Which led to the habit of the Top pulling back one step before pulling back was really needed. So if the bottom wants the 1 snooze tag, you have the space to grant it safely. Or deny it. Haha. :)

Again -- takes time to be able to cut totally loose and let go and develop your banter/style together. There's nothing WRONG with it taking time.

HTH!
GG

Last edited:
Definitely wax and wane.
There are times when we're very cuddly and others we're totally kinky. Then there are in between times. It has a lot to do with what is going on in our lives with work, house guests, kids, school etc. But, it never goes away, it does have an ebb and flow.
(same with non-kinky sex actually)

Not for me. When I am sexually interested in someone else, I tend to be MORE sexual with my dh. If I am actually sexually involved with someone else-I'm DEFINITELY more sexual with my dh. It's like.... getting it somewhere on puts me in heat for him.

I don't handle NRE the way most people I know handle it. My autopilot reaction to NRE (of my own) is to pull away from the entity that is "new and fascinating". I don't allow myself to jump into a sexual or romantic relationship with someone unless NRE has fully abated. So this is moot I think.

Yes. There are restrictions. Some things are ours alone. There is the option to renegotiate every 3 months-but thus far we retain certain things between us.

If you’re into D/S play, how do you manage this with having an extremely equal relationship in all other ways? Sometimes it’s hard for either of us to let the other take control because we’re so equal in all other arenas, and both extremely independent people… it’s almost like it’s easier with someone you’re not in such a close partnership with, I’m wondering if others can relate.
We have specified D/s dynamics. So, there are specific things that don't change-for example, which side of him I walk, he always orders the food if we go out to eat, if he sets out an outfit he wants me to wear, I wear it-regardless of the plans for the day. Those remain the same NO MATTER where we are. Making them subtle reminders of our dynamic even in circumstances where I may be "in charge" or whatever.

sexual or not. If there is something I long for in our relationship and am not getting-but someone else is getting it-I get emotional.
We definitely talk about it. Because it means that there is a need in our relationship that isn't being met. It isn't pertinent really that someone else is getting it-but that we need to be getting it too.
But-as a rule of thumb-we don't discuss sexual specifics. So, more frequently this would be non-sexual things.

How ARE your aftercare skills for each other? Are they weak? Are those holding you back on full on trust with your partner if you are in subspace? Or are you worried about yourself in topspace?

It's interesting... we're very good with aftercare, sometimes I love him belting me hard so that he can comfort me after, we've very intimate and tender and intense, it can be beautiful and comforting and exciting all at once.

I think some of my issue is that in two other LTR I had (both mono because of the men involved, never my first choice of relationship model) the sex essentially fizzled out. In the first case it was me who lost interest, in the second case it was him. But perhaps I'm overly cautions in thinking that once something shifts it's the beginning of an inevitable decline. So when the intensity and frequency of BDSM for us decreased I immediately assumed it was the beginning of the end of kink for us, panicked and became demanding, etc. etc.... of course, as soon as I relaxed he started topping happily again, I guess I just made him lose confidence?

It can be hard for me to conceive that what he does with other people has nothing to do with me (e.g. it's his thing, it's not a comment on our relationship) but I'm finally learning, and doing fine. I am also learning to led go of the idea that once something doesn't happen for a while it's somehow gone forever.

It's been really interesting to hear how other people's dynamics play out in this arena. I thought there would be more people directing sexual energy away from the relationship but seems like even after many years people still direct it mostly towards their primaries... though I wonder if that's always the case? I know I do, but don't others get worried about not being shiny new exciting fucktoy any more?

We have specified D/s dynamics. So, there are specific things that don't change-for example, which side of him I walk, he always orders the food if we go out to eat, if he sets out an outfit he wants me to wear, I wear it-regardless of the plans for the day. Those remain the same NO MATTER where we are. Making them subtle reminders of our dynamic even in circumstances where I may be "in charge" or whatever.

This made me smile because I have a lover who is a dom and when we go out I usually call the shots - I choose the venue and often do the ordering... but as soon as we get home he puts me in my place ;) do other people who know you ever pick up on these reminders when you're out? Or is it very personal to the two of you?

The people closest to us know. People who aren't, generally remain clueless.

There was one interesting dinner, where someone got offended that he ordered for me. I was intrigued and curious how he would handle it-so I kept my mouth shut (but admit to having an eyebrow raised). He basically managed it with telling them that this was OUR relationship and how we choose to manage ordering our food wasn't warranting of their time or attention.

Another time, we had a waitress who was hell bent on getting me to respond. She continuously aimed her questions at me and ignored him. It became necessary for me to tell her that it was my preference for him to place the order. She was royally offended. :eek:

A male waiter was bemused. He asked me, I deferred to Dh (with my eyes and a smile). DH ordered, the waiter double checked with me "that works for you?" DH smiled at me and gave me the signal to respond, so I did, telling the waiter with a smile that "yes, yes it does". He nodded and went to put in our order with a smug sort of look. But, he referenced all further questions to my husband the rest of the evening. ;) Very funny.

Mostly though, people don't notice. I also sit on a specified side of him-even if we are in a group of people, and I always sit beside him, not across from him.

I'm not really shy about any of those "viewable" D/s things.
However, we do have an agreement that all bedroom activities remain mine to share or not share about. Meaning-he does not have the privilege of telling other people about anything regarding our D/s behavior that isn't public behavior.

don't others get worried about not being shiny new exciting fucktoy any more?

I suppose people are more likely to worry about that if they think sex is what the relationship is about, and forget they have value outside of their desire as a sexual partner. I imagine in a casual relationship, I might worry about that because if that's the reason I'm in that relationship, sure, if the sexual energy disappears, then the relationship probably isn't going to continue.
With a relationship you feel is mostly happy and compatible in all the other aspects - financial, domestic, friendship - it is hopefully easier to not let one thing shifting for a bit make you stress it means the end. Sometimes its hard to keep the big picture in mind, I know I'm guilty of it, but like you see, if you forget it and panic, it throws your partner for a loop too when they see you reacting with fear, and that usually causes more bumps than are warranted.

I think some of my issue is that in two other LTR I had the sex essentially fizzled out. In the first case it was me who lost interest, in the second case it was him. But perhaps I'm overly cautions in thinking that once something shifts it's the beginning of an inevitable decline.

I don't use the words "primaries/secondaries."

I wonder if perhaps some of your stuff isn't not just about the ghosts of exes coloring your expectations of current lover...

but that heirarchy model being like a thorn in your side stirring up anxious? Having to compete for attentions or primary positioning?

So when the intensity and frequency of BDSM for us decreased I immediately assumed it was the beginning of the end of kink for us, panicked and became demanding, etc. etc.... of course, as soon as I relaxed he started topping happily again, I guess I just made him lose confidence?

That sounds like you are going thru withdrawal to me.

If your early days were chronic hits of the hormone highs, and then you get to a more calm pattern -- you aren't getting the hits.

You sure this isn't moody from subdrop?

I thought there would be more people directing sexual energy away from the relationship but seems like even after many years people still direct it mostly towards their primaries... though I wonder if that's always the case? I know I do, but don't others get worried about not being shiny new exciting fucktoy any more?

No. Why would I direct away from it?

And if you know YOU direct your energies toward your primary -- why all this worry about what other people are doing? What needs validating or affirming for you? What are you afraid you are missing out on?

No, I don't worry about not being a shiny new toy to him any more. I like being OLD shiny toy better.

There isn't as much "weather reporting" because he knows me and all my tells already. It's a smoother ride, it's a more intense ride, it's a longer ride.

You can get some nice chords and phrases sometimes with a new partner. And learning to make beautiful music together is a fun process of discovery.

But oh, with an old lover? That knows you well? You can run through flawless symphonies! It's another kind of rush. :)

GG

^ I hear you, but it's just how it is, we're both very much each other's primaries, we're always looking out for each other, and even if it's a security blanket it seems to work well. The hierarchy thing is not a concern for me because we're both secure with that. I am not naturally poly - more of a swinger at heart, happy to share sexual energy but not interested in more than one committed relationship. I've left it to him to pursue his own rships and I relaxed nearly all the "rules" we had (now that I feel more secure) but he also seems to prefer one main relationship. So, because of spending most of our free time together and being each other's main emotional anchor it just seems to work this way for now. I am aware this could change, letting go of certainty has been a liberating thing for an over-analyser like me!

No, I don't worry about not being a shiny new toy to him any more. I like being OLD shiny toy better.

There isn't as much "weather reporting" because he knows me and all my tells already. It's a smoother ride, it's a more intense ride, it's a longer ride.

You can get some nice chords and phrases sometimes with a new partner. And learning to make beautiful music together is a fun process of discovery.

But oh, with an old lover? That knows you well? You can run through flawless symphonies! It's another kind of rush. :)

GG

I thought this was beautiful :)

I'd have to say it waxes and wanes, though Runic Wolf and I have only gotten serious about kink with each other in the last few years. For the first decade of our relationship, he thought I was only trying to humor him. It actually took me being kinky with Wendigo to get him to see that I'm kinky in my own right.

I'm not sure what you mean by more extreme sexual behavior; please explain.

For me the more sex I have, the more I want.

Runic Wolf's restriction is that Wendigo and I can't do anything that would necessitate a trip to the ER, but that applies to himself as well.

I have recently discovered that I don't get jealous; I get envious if my partners are giving someone else something I'm craving - even if it's something as simple as cuddling with a platonic friend when we haven't been able to cuddle in a while. I've learned that if i don't tell them I need something, they aren't necessarily going to know to give it to me. But generally speaking, my partners don't do anything sexually with other people that they don't do with me or if they do, it is something that I don't want to do or something I can't provide.

Last edited:

I am not the kinky one in my longest term relationship (my husband is kinky but mono) BUT I am the poly one. My sex life has honestly waned with my husband due to his demands of kink in order to be able to perform sexually. I try and play with him a bit but it is extremely hard for me. We are miss matched in this dept and we have been since day one. But I have been clear on my stance since dating with DH. He thought he could live without kink apparently he can not.

With my boyfriend things get deeper and deeper emotionally and sexually. But he is vanilla like me. We have a very active passionate sex life. Since we have fallen in love the sex has evolved into something amazing.

If you are talking about BDSM. No I am so not into BDSM.

Unfortunately in my case yes. My husband has seriously pushed me away with his BDSM demands. I can not meet his demands. It makes me feel disgusting, dirty, used, and objectified. I wish we could have the type of sex life my bf M and I have. We did years ago when he could meet me halfway and respect my boundaries.

This doesn't apply to me. If my husband could/would find a play partner as long as he was happy and safe he has my permission to do whatever he wanted.

I am sure my husband gets jealous of what I have with M. I do not like share the intimate details of what goes on between M and myself with my husband. I do not want to hurt my husband. He kind of finds it a turn on... I like to treat my relationships are separate but equal.

My husband has seriously pushed me away with his BDSM demands. I can not meet his demands. It makes me feel disgusting, dirty, used, and objectified. I wish we could have the type of sex life my bf M and I have. We did years ago when he could meet me halfway and respect my boundaries.

Ack. I'm sorry to hear this. Good kink should be respectful of boundaries!
I am sorry you are feeling yucky. :(

You don't have to be into kink at all. You have that right. But just hearing that you tried and ended up feeling like THAT is ugh.

Is he a top? If so I get the vibe he's not a great one if he's making you feel yucky. The top has to play within the bottom's specified arena or it is a no go. If he's a boundary breaker I don't blame you for not wanting to there at all. :eek:

Makes my hair stand on end. (and I do like some kink.) Ugh.

Whether kink or poly I wish people would just play honorably with some ethics and respect for their partner(s)!

GG

Ack. I'm sorry to hear this. Good kink should be respectful of boundaries!
I am sorry you are feeling yucky. :(

You don't have to be into kink at all. You have that right. But just hearing that you tried and ended up feeling like THAT is ugh.

Is he a top? If so I get the vibe he's not a great one if he's making you feel yucky. The top has to play within the bottom's specified arena or it is a no go. If he's a boundary breaker I don't blame you for not wanting to there at all. :eek:

Makes my hair stand on end. (and I do like some kink.) Ugh.

Whether kink or poly I wish people would just play honorably with some ethics and respect for their partner(s)!

GG

GG...

No my husband is a bottom.

I give him credit he has tried. But unfortunately kink is something he can no live without. Which I can understand and have no problem. I just wish he could find a play partner.

Even a bottom can go too far.

Sigh -- hopefully he will find a play partner and stop pressuring you then.

GG

I find that I can only be kinky with someone I trust absolutely. That means that my kink level will increase as I get closer/cuddly/more intimate. With a new partner, I'll be vanilla. I don't know them enough, I don't trust them enough to be that vulnerable with them, and on the flipside, don't trust that I can deal with them being vulnerable when I don't know enough about them to treat them the way that will be most enjoyable for both of us.

No.

NRE makes me more aroused, more affectionate, and more in love with my existing partner(s). It leads to either more sex or more cuddling, depending on the mood.

This would be decided on a partner per partner basis. One of us meets someone, is interested in pursuing it, we discuss what would be happening and see if everyone is fine with it.

We're both switches, so we just adapt to one another, which we do in other areas of our lives. It seems very natural to us, one of us will feel very dominant or submissive, the other will fill in the other role. We've never both craved the same position at the same time so far. If we did, I guess we'd find a way to alternate so we both get ours in the end.

That has never happened. I think I would probably feel inadequate if he refused me something but did it with someone else, I would think I did something wrong. Then we'd have to discuss it, to see why the situation is different, and if it's something I can change or not. If it is, I would decide based on whether I feel the change is worth the sex act or not.

Actually, after typing this, I guess it has happened. While I was away for six months, he had sex with another woman, which I guess would count as something I craved that hadn't happened in a while. However, I wasn't jealous or upset, as the distance was not his fault and in no way did he reject me or anything like that. I would find it cruel to tell him he can't have sex with others while I'm away, I wouldn't gain anything from it and it would leave both of us bitter.
I was happy he was having fun, and looking forward to being back.

Back