Me and my story in a nutshell

Ohiogrl

I want to describe my situation, but am leaning on the side of caution and to not be TMI. If there is anything that I speak of that if not exactly clear please feel free to ask me, I will answer if possible.

Bit of history:

I am going to be 34 next week. My BF and I have been in a relationship on and off for ten years. Very early on he wanted to be in a poly situation and omg did I ever fight that kicking and screaming the whole way! It literally took a couple of years to be ok with that concept at all. I was absolutely NOT ok with it. And because of that, He suffered. He chose to continue to see only me to make me happy. But in the end neither of us were happy. And I sincerely regret my behavior at the time. I under went counseling on an entirely different subject, but while I was doing that, I learned alot about myself on a whole, and also how I truly felt about love and relationships.

My insecurities about poly were never about him or any other woman, they stemmed way back from an abusive relationship that I had from a previous marriage. Where I was cheated on, physically, mentally and sexually abused, everything that could go wrong, did. Since My Bf and I started seeing each other shortly after all that ended, I never had the opportunity to heal from that previous relationship. I never was able to separate the two at the time. I saw his wanting to be poly potentially being the same thing I had dealt with before. I can now look back and know for sure how very wrong I was in that assumption. BF now is NOT and NEVER will be what my ex husband was. A total and complete JERK. EX constantly told me I would never be good enough, and I let that stick in my head for a very long time. Feeling like you are not good enough on all levels, defiantly is not healthy in general, especially when you have a bf who wants another woman. Being newly disabled due to a severe sleep disorder, and having the sex drive of a rock made things that much more difficult for me. And most definitely for my Bf. The beginning was a real struggle for us both.

How I feel about love and relationships:

I suspect I have always felt this way actually. But my upbringing and former relationships, and society in general have all told me this is all very very wrong. Once I started thinking for myself though, and to hell with the rest of them, I realized that not only am I very accepting of poly relationships, I actually WANT that for myself. (LOL. If I wasn't in a relationship I would be a perfect unicorn. I am super low maintenance and with a low sex drive, I am good with every so often. I'm am mostly about the intellectual aspects of relationships than I am the physical ones.) There are so many people on this earth, so much we can learn from each other, so much love to share, who wouldn't want this? Being able to experience the energy of another human being is such a beautiful thing! Whether it be intellectual or a physical relationship, There is so much more for all of us out there. We owe it to ourselves to search out and experience happiness, in all forms.

My relationship as of now:

My Bf and I are doing well. Despite all the drama other girls have caused. (since they were not good candidates) We do have some struggles ahead of us, after all this time I am moving pretty far away, next month actually, and I know the LDR will be hard on us when we have spent all this time together. I sincerely wish he had found some one worthy to go through this with him as I know that me leaving is going to be a hard thing for him to deal with. I am also struggling with the idea of me seeing other people during this time apart. I have never done it before. It has just never been a desire, and it still isn't at this time, but this will be a LT move for me and I am bound to eventually need to find some sort of connection also.

Its going to be a long and interesting road, but we are trying to see the positives and not the negatives. We discussed actually breaking up, but neither of us want that... so we will see where the wind takes us I suppose.

Okay, so that is me. I cant think of anything else to add at the moment.
I will post again to update.

Thanks for listening.

Thank you both for the warm welcome!

I have been reading alot here and I am seeing alot of something that is disturbing to me. I am not sure exactly where to post this so I thought I would just include it here in my blog.

There seem to be alot of people who either have Bipolar or think they have Bipolar Disorder. This worries me.

Bipolar is real no doubt about that, it is a very serious issue and kudo's to people who struggle with it on a daily basis, it cant be easy to go through life like that. The strides they make to overcome their issues are something we should all be aware of and also be proud of them for doing so.

That being said, I think alot of times, especially in the US, Bipolar is overly diagnosed incorrectly. A blanket Dx if you will. It seems that anytime some one exhibits an extreme emotion, one way or the other or both, it is to often assumed that person has bipolar. The thing to remember that Emotions are real. We all have them to varying degrees. Dont be afraid of them. Dont be afraid to allow yourself to FEEL something. If you are not feeling the anger and the hurting and the disappointment, you are not likely to feel the the happiness and the excitement also. Just because a person is extremely upset, doesn't make them bipolar. On the flip side of that, how often does anyone assume some one is bipolar when they are extremely happy? Pretty much never.

I know that when we are hurting, we want to assign reason, we want it to go away... Dont jump immediately to pills to fix this. There will be alot of ups and downs sudden ones even. Especially with emotions of the heart. Allow yourself to naturally go through these emotions, and yes it takes time. Some longer than others. Rely on positive communication, and friends who you can trust. Rely on yourself! Tell yourself, "Today may suck... but it wont always be this way..." give yourself permission to have a bad day. The good days will come again soon enough.

With out the darkness, we would never recognize the light for the beauty that it is. With all my dark days, and I have had MANY of them, I wouldn't give them up for the world. I know all that pain I have risen from, is part of what makes me who I am today. And I am pretty dang awesome!

If you really feel that you are experiencing a medical issue though, by all means seek help. Dont use MY opinion as an excuse to avoid any potential serious issues. I'm just a random chic who sits on her computer all day.:D

I hope this wasn't offensive, I have no intention for it to be. :eek:

Girls and girls and more girls....

I have mentioned in another thread of the onslaught of ridiculous relationship My Bf and I have been in. I want to mention some of them here sort of as a reference point for what we have dealt with. I am going to break my own TMI rules here. LOL. Since I screen women and have Veto power, I really feel obligated to explain that I am not being jealous, I am truly doing this out of concern, so I hope this helps. I am only listing a couple of them, cuz I dont have all day. LOL.

Our first:
We will call her JJ. We were both in a relationship with her. OMG she was something else. Hot little blonde, A real giver if you get my drift. We all hung out together or separately, or what ever, it didn't matter we were all happy and it was all good. We had met her mother who was fine with our arrangement and actually encouraged it, all was freaking amazing... mind blowingly awesome, for about 3 months. Then one day, JJ called me crying.
She had been lying to us the WHOLE time. not just little lies mind you. BIG ones. for starters, her name was not JJ it was something else entirely. She was ONLY 16. Her mother had just lost custody of her for pimping her out to older men at bars. (her mother btw, lied to us about her age and name also)
Wost of all She was pregnant. Likely my BF's. Her mom had taught her how to poke holes in the condoms with a needle so they would break during use. And that did happen a couple times. My BF and I were in our early 20's at the time and she had told us she was 19. We believed her. She was never in school, she had a job, etc.. she was um... Very mature... Why wouldn't we believe her?
Childrens Services grilled her about who the dad was so she had to tell them. HAPPILY, she admitted to lying about her age, or else he would probably still be in jail right now and considered a sex offender. Turns out the baby was his and we tried to get custody when it was taken away from this girl, but no lawyer would touch it. So he has an 8yr old kid out there that he never sees but has to pay child support too. Because of the original situation, he cant get visitation either.

So that was our first time. Horrid learning experience that outed us, caused huge drama with both our families, and made us realize, we need to be more careful, and make rules or boundaries.

Another one I will share is a girl I'll call L. He met her on myspace. She was really pretty. and seemed nice, but in this case, was still upset about JJ and wasn't interested. We were VERY cautious of unexpected pregnancies at this time so Right away my bells and whistles were going off about her when she said she couldn't have kids. She was in her early 20's. and claimed to have uterine cancer. At that time, not previously. now I am no expert, but she didn't seem the least bit sick, and wouldn't it hurt to get laid with a situation like that? I honestly dont know. About a month later, she was being accepted into the Navy. WTF? I am pretty sure there are rules about health screening for the military.... anyhow, she ended up lying about alot of things, stealing money etc... and was upset I didn't want her because she wanted me and him both. So yeah, long story short, that didn't work out either.

So these are just a couple of the weird ones we have dealt with, there are many more, thus my need for caution. I am truly only interested in not having more chaos in our lives. Its not a jealousy thing I promise. =)

I feel you with the distance thing. My man and I are living apart, after living together for six years. I have been extremely cautious, if not down-right stubborn about not opening our relationship up. Due to all our work and school related stress the spark just isn't there between us and the thought of seeing him feel that for someone else makes me a little nautious, but when I remember how much joy we got from this before, I am reminded that I AM poly, and these feelings stem from something that is my problem, not his. So to get to the point, I really respect how comfortable you are with the thought of him having someone else to help him through you moving away. I just thought that was beautiful, and something for me to work up to.

Now on to your 16yo story. We ALWAYS check ids if people look younger than 25. It sounds crazy but we make em' show us their ids.

I feel you with the distance thing. My man and I are living apart, after living together for six years. I have been extremely cautious, if not down-right stubborn about not opening our relationship up. Due to all our work and school related stress the spark just isn't there between us and the thought of seeing him feel that for someone else makes me a little nautious, but when I remember how much joy we got from this before, I am reminded that I AM poly, and these feelings stem from something that is my problem, not his. So to get to the point, I really respect how comfortable you are with the thought of him having someone else to help him through you moving away. I just thought that was beautiful, and something for me to work up to.

Now on to your 16yo story. We ALWAYS check ids if people look younger than 25. It sounds crazy but we make em' show us their ids.

Oh no kidding? You are going through the LD thing after a long time too? I am very nervous about it. I will say that. lol. It is nice to know someone else who is doing this though. I kinda thought it was something that didn't happen to often.

As far as that 16 yo, oh most definitely, NOW I check ID's, backgrounds, etc etc... I am almost overly cautious now. I try not to be... but I worry to much I guess. lol lesson learned! Big time!

Oh no kidding? You are going through the LD thing after a long time too? I am very nervous about it. I will say that. lol. It is nice to know someone else who is doing this though. I kinda thought it was something that didn't happen to often.

As far as that 16 yo, oh most definitely, NOW I check ID's, backgrounds, etc etc... I am almost overly cautious now. I try not to be... but I worry to much I guess. lol lesson learned! Big time!

Yep, we lived together for six years. I pursued my dream school in another state. So now we live two hours away from each other now, and we see each other 1-2 times month. He's mentioned that he would like us both to have someone more available for each of us. He does not like being alone. He always likes to have people around. I personally, do not feel like I have the time or energy to find an intimate connection with someone, but I would certainly invite one if it were to come about, so I am open to it!

Have you moved yet? How far away do you live from him?

Yep, we lived together for six years. I pursued my dream school in another state. So now we live two hours away from each other now, and we see each other 1-2 times month. He's mentioned that he would like us both to have someone more available for each of us. He does not like being alone. He always likes to have people around. I personally, do not feel like I have the time or energy to find an intimate connection with someone, but I would certainly invite one if it were to come about, so I am open to it!

Have you moved yet? How far away do you live from him?

I havent moved yet, but I will be very soon. I will be about 14 hours away so it will be more like a couple times a year instead of a month. I am like you and will be very busy and not necessarily looking, due to lack of time or energy, when I go.

New News.

So the Bf and I are talking to this girl from before for sure now. We have both spent a lot of time on the phone with her and will be having dinner with her this weekend. Going to take it very slow and see where it leads.
::SIGH::
I really do like her.
She is such a sweety.

Turns out she IS the real thing Bipolar. In therapy the whole nine yards. So The Bf and I have talked about how he needs to be prepared to deal with those ups and downs. If he could handle me when he first met me, while I was going through severe depression due to the Ex hubby, I bet he will be fine on dealing with this.

I really do like her.
Maybe my trust issues are a bigger deal than her flip out issues?
>_<
I think this time that might be the case.

I need to not worry on this girl. I think its all gonna be ok.

We have learned alot in the last ten years, He is being more cautious and I am loosening up, at least a tiny bit. (Maybe only a very tiny bit.)

I was looking around my house and realizing how many many things I have to do before I leave. I need to let him handle this. I simply dont have the time for it. I really need to focus on myself for a while because once again I am neglecting my own life to help out someone else. ( Nasty habit of mine.) I can be his sounding board of course if he needs me, but I cant try to fix things anymore. I need to not worry about if I trust these other prospects of his, and simply Trust in him, that he will make the right decisions.

Given the history, lol, that is a huge thing for me to do... But I am going to try to do it. I wont be here after all, and We are Both gonna have to learn how to operate on our own. Something else I figured out yesterday. LOL.

It only makes sense to make things easier for us instead of complicating thins worse during this separation. We are still meandering around how to do that, but I guess it will come with time, trial and error, just like it did before.

Wow...at the beginning of your blog I was going to say something about sometimes not meeting the best people right away when opening a relationship. But the story about thy lying 16 year old and her mom really takes the cake on bad poly experiences!

There are a lot of good, decent people in the world. Not everything is going to be drama filled with everyone you meet. I'm a big fan of being friends first. If dating and romance aren't something immediately on the table there's less reason to pretend to be something your not.

Is the long distance thing with your boyfriend going to be permanent? Once or twice a year of seeing him is going to be tough on your relationship, especially if there isn't any end date on it being long distance.

Wow...at the beginning of your blog I was going to say something about sometimes not meeting the best people right away when opening a relationship. But the story about thy lying 16 year old and her mom really takes the cake on bad poly experiences!

There are a lot of good, decent people in the world. Not everything is going to be drama filled with everyone you meet. I'm a big fan of being friends first. If dating and romance aren't something immediately on the table there's less reason to pretend to be something your not.

Is the long distance thing with your boyfriend going to be permanent? Once or twice a year of seeing him is going to be tough on your relationship, especially if there isn't any end date on it being long distance.

LOL That girl took two or three cakes actually! It was terrible.

I am huge on being friends first or at least taking the time to get to know some one like you say. When I met my BF He couldn't even get my shirt off in the first three months. lol I move Slow! And I dont do Fuck buddies you know? If I am not going to be in a relationship, I wont get sexual with someone. Simple as that. Moving slow is an aspect he has to work on, and I need to not be barking at him to remind him of this lol.

Seperation will be about 2 years, 3 at the most. We have a whole LT plan worked out for life, we will just have to see if life works with us on that. =)

I am huge on being friends first or at least taking the time to get to know some one like you say. When I met my BF He couldn't even get my shirt off in the first three months. lol I move Slow! And I dont do Fuck buddies you know? If I am not going to be in a relationship, I wont get sexual with someone. Simple as that. Moving slow is an aspect he has to work on, and I need to not be barking at him to remind him of this lol.

I work much the same way as you do. As for him not moving slow, I think that's just kind of a guy thing. Sometimes the little head takes over ;).

Oh and I'm glad LD isn't going to be a permanent thing. After 10 years a couple of years apart is manageble. I've had some experience there :D

my theory is if Military families can handle it then we can too. at least we can pick up the phone as we please, and no one is in actual danger. =)

Argh!

I hate my memory some days!

I am having an AWFUL time finding a post by somebody, in a thread about something, that may have been unrelated, grrrr.

Yeah, I am not having a good time with this.

Basically , someone at some point of time mentioned something about being able to feel someones energy even from long distances, almost in a psychic manner of speaking? They gave a Buddhist name for this phenomena I think, and I want to know what that is... only... now I cant find it. LOL

If anyone remembers seeing that, or if you are the person who wrote it, please let me know? Or send a link? I am extremely interested in this.

Thanks everyone!

UPDATE!

FOUND IT!!!!!!!!!! Seriously it took me like 3 and a half hours of scrolling through every thread I read in the last few days. LOL

http://www.polyamory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3708&highlight=conection&page=15

TL4everu2 Says: "In japanese, this is called Shin Pa Tan. Or "Short Mind Waves". Very similar to short wave radio. The feelings can be felt over long distances, so the parties involved can often know when the other is hurting, or about to call them, or feelings of lonliness, or loss."
I have always been able to do this, but did not know the word for it. Thanks so much for your post TL4everu2 where you mentioned it! It was very helpful to me for all kinds of reasons!

Last edited:
absence notice:

Had a death in the family and also need to get on the ball with packing. I may not post for a while. I will try to keep up when I am settled. ;)

Back