Poll: If polyamorous, are you spiritual or scientific?

Spiritual or Scientific?

• Male, and I believe in endless love (Spiritual)

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Female, and I believe in boundless love (Spiritual)

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Male, and it all makes sense (Scientific)

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • Female, just fuck me already, idiot! (Scientific)

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters
Just doing some self-discovery and some research. This is a question for EVERYONE to whom polyamory is intuitive, practitioners or philosophers.

I believe that people drift to what feels most natural to them. But I also believe that including in-between poll options would be silly, because those votes would cancel themselves out.

I don't believe that gender is black-and-white, easily defined. But I do believe in keeping things simple. This is the only reason for why there are no options for the transgendered, asexual, etc.

If you don't feel comfortable voting without more details, ask away! :)

I have a feeling about the direction the answers will take, but the only way to test this theory is with a poll.

Can you explain better what it is you're looking for with this poll? Are you trying to find out if people here view poly as an either or thing? Sex vs. love? How are you defining "endless love" and "boundless love" (and how do you see those two things as different from each other?) for "Spiritual," and what is the "all of it" that makes sense to the "Scientific" male? And what do you mean by "polyamory is intuitive?" This is confusing. Neither the poll nor your post make any sense to me, I'm sorry to say.

Last edited:
nycindie,

I'm going to guess you're a little bit empathetic to both sides. I can send you a private message if you'd like, letting you know what my suspicions are. I'm only slightly concerned that by posting here what I'm trying to get at will influence the answer of people.

It's not a perfect process anyway, but closer is still better than far away.

Don't categorize me as anything. I'm not empathetic to either side -- I don't understand what these sides are! I have no clue what you mean by scientific vs. spiritual and how that relates to poly... in what? Attitude? Approach? Philosophy? How do you define "spiritual" and "scientific" in the first place? Do you want to know what we think polyamory is? Are you seeing poly as an orientation or a structure for relationships? Really, this poll and your wording are both about as clear as mud to me, so I can't answer. Sorry.

Last edited:
I'm female, but I don't think love is boundless, nor is my way of poly a "just fuck me already" way. It's not about the sex at all to me. *shrugs*

I dunno where I fall on your poll because although I am female the "it all makes sense" male option is what suits me best.

This poll is very silly. Whether someone is science-positive or not has nothing to do with how much sex they want to have, for example, or whether they fall in love easily or not.

nycindie, (female)

Your roar has been duly noted. I think you're fluid in the sense that you can discuss things logically, and feel them in a more spiritual sense (if you have to choose either of the two words to describe).

By the way, I love your signature: If you expect your relationships to bring you happiness, you will be disappointed. Bring your own happiness to your relationships and everyone will thrive.

If I had to paraphrase, I'd say "Love doesn't give happiness, but the happy give love."

SilentPain, (female)

I'm making no this-is-how-it-is remarks. But for my own records, I'm putting you more in the spiritual category. Thank you for your contribution.

MichelleZed, (female? just double-checking. Michelle sounds female to me)

Bold statement, but only a scientific approach would be able to prove or disprove that. ;) I'm going to note that you're leaning towards the scientific. Again, purely for my own purposes. Don't mind me.

Oh, but it already has.

The questions are silly, frankly. The cultural assumption that science and spirituality are separate realms has been breaking down for the last decade or two. Time and again, people have been shown to be far more complex than simply falling into such an either/or category---we do not fit easily into mass media friendly categories. The kind of questions in this poll look like something that should be on a TV entertainment show. Maybe the results will be fun to look at, but from the perspective of understanding anything about the poly community or humans, nothing important (apart from you satisfying a curiosity) will be learned.

I hope this doesn't sound harsh, it's just how I feel.

If you want to know whether someone is more "scientific or spiritual," you have to tell them what you think those words mean before you ask them which camp they're in. This poll is so vague and nondescript, and now you've come to conclusions about some of us who responded just because we asked questions. But it is a silly poll, asks superficial unclear questions, and doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Is English is a second language for you? Just wondering.

MF,

So what is the point of the poll? If you tell us what you are tracking, more people may actually take the poll.

I see you have 5 respondents, including myself so far.

Last edited:
MisogynisticFeminazi , I love polls and leapt into this thread to participate but agree that further clarity is required. I believe in "endless love", or what I'm guessing you mean by that, but here's the thing from my experience- I didn't even realize I wanted to love everybody at the same time on a "spiritual" level until I started analyzing my emotions and relationship history in a pretty clinical, "scientific" fashion.

If I had to take a stab at what you think you mean with this poll I'd guess you mean the two sides could be explained as:

• "I never thought about it really, I just want to love and fuck everybody!"
  • "After reading Sex at Dawn it seems logical that monogamy is both unnatural in the context of human genetic imperatives and has a net detrimental effect on society, therefore the logical conclusion is that I should be nonmonogamous to better myself and humanity."

Am I close?

• "I never thought about it really, I just want to love and fuck everybody!"
  • "After reading Sex at Dawn it seems logical that monogamy is both unnatural in the context of human genetic imperatives and has a net detrimental effect on society, therefore the logical conclusion is that I should be nonmonogamous to better myself and humanity."

Lol, and the idea that a poly person has to hold one or the other of those opinions (and not neither, or both) is utterly ridiculous.

I know at least one thing that isn't scientific: this poll.

"After reading Sex at Dawn it seems logical that monogamy is both unnatural in the context of human genetic imperatives and has a net detrimental effect on society, therefore the logical conclusion is that I should be nonmonogamous to better myself and humanity."

Considering making that my sig line! Hat tip to SoCalExile!

Well, if you use the "I wanna love it, and hug it, and squeeze it, and call it George. Oh, and fuck the shit out of it too" example as spiritual, I'm not spiritual.

If you want to use the logical approach that monogamy isn't natural and we are all genetically wired, then I'm not scientific either.

I love polls as well, but when I clicked on this thread I was just as perplexed as most of the other posters. The questions aren't worded very clearly, and I feel they are too general to answer anyway.

Also, I find it unfair that the OP should make judgements about people that have posted after only a few replies. That seems weird. How can the OP possibly know anything about anyone after that? Ask a couple of questions to clarify the poll and suddenly you are this or that? I don't think so.

I'm just wondering why the scientific female option is worded so crassly whereas the other options aren't. :confused:

Back