Comfort Zone

I went to class today (i'm in a sort of elite supervisor training) and I cracked up every time she talked about getting out of a comfort zone. She talked about how that's what we have to do as supervisors. Another nail in the decision of me demoting myself back to non-supervisory.

Kind of schizo, it is. They're teaching us about where are comfort zones are (we're doing DiSC profiles, for those who are into it), and then telling us how to reach out of them.

The only way I stay awake is coffee and paying attention to the meta-details. I've studied how to be the trainer; it's interesting to me to see what the trainer does to the class. Class (school) is my comfort zone. I could be a student forever. Except, I have had amazing teachers, so ordinary teachers are often boring to me now.

I've always been a competitive "push the comfort zone" type, but within the past couple years, I've been realizing that I don't always WANT to push it anymore.

Being mono in a mono/poly relationship, I've most definitely pushed my comfort zone, and I've recognized areas where it really wasn't doing me any good. It was leading me down the path of how I "should" feel if I could only <fill in the blank>, and I had to step back and realize that nope, this is a limit. I feel okay <here>. I feel like I'm constantly under stress <here>.

At work, I believe I've now hit the point where I'm done "moving up". I've been in a management role for the past couple years and I hate it. I gave it a chance. I'm done. I've found where I completely push myself out of my happiness zone, and I'm tired of being there and not having the time to devote to the work I DO enjoy.

Getting back to some other points in the thread, I may nudge a friend or partner in pushing a comfort zone if it seems like they really WOULD want to do it, but are hedging. I wouldn't push it any further than that, though - no means no.

And as for food? Food IS a comfort zone (mmmmmmmm), so I am completely on-board with trying new things. Although I'd probably hedge at balut or anything similar. There are comfort zones and there are brick walls I can't get past. ;)

I do think pushing the comfort zone serves a purpose, especially with learning and trying new things (I *would* skydive someday - and probably pee myself doing it!), but with certain parts of my life, I'd like to enjoy some well-earned comfort now. Let the young whippersnappers take the torch and run with it.

Now, please pass the boat drinks. :D

Last edited:
I view the poly relationship style in and of itself an exercise in pushing ones comfort zones on many many levels.

I think its even more drastic coming from a long standing monogamous marriage or partnership in which one partner has an epiphany.

Growth vs pushing ones comfort zone I m not sure how to quantify those or if they are related. Having to give a eulogy to a packed church with out breaking down blew through the comfort zone wall by a mile. No growth detected just tapped to do a difficult task. Speeches and toasts could bump up in the comfort zone area if I was forced on the spot to make up something."come on get up there and be funny " no pressure there:rolleyes:

Back