New to the "Poly" concept

Luckygirl70

I told my best friend that I am in love with her. She's always been very straight and very polyamorous. She just came to the realization that she's considered poly. This is something that I've known since I met her. When I told her that I was in love with her and had been having sexual feelings toward her, she said she didn't think that was possible. A year has gone by and she says that she's been thinking of testing the waters of a sexual relationship with me. She asked me if I could accept that she will always need more and by more she meant sex with men. I've always considered myself monogamous. But in this I didn't have to think at all. If it meant that I could be with her at all, then I could be open to the thought of a polyamorous relationship.

She and I have been best friends for years. I have considered us soul mates until recently, when I discovered the term twin souls. We definitely have a lot of the twin soul traits. I don't know how to approach this new part of our relationship given that I've always seen myself as monogamous. I still think I'd want to be monogamous even while she was polyamorous. Is that possible? Or will it cause us turmoil down the road?

It's completely possible. It's usually called a mono-poly relationship, and there are tons of threads on here from people who have dealt with some of the issues that come up.

Back