Facebook Status

Bluebird

Right now my Facebook status is set as "Married to Bluebird's husband." Lately we have been discussing switching that to say "In an Open Relationship."

My question is, if I do this, is there an option to list my other partner? Or will it still just allow me to say "In an Open Relationship with Bluebird's husband"? If so, is there a way that I can list both my husband and my boyfriend? Right now my boyfriend is just "In a Relationship" but I am not listed because Facebook won't let him add me, since I am married. :/

As far as I know you can only link to one partner on Facebook. They got rid of the other option in June.

That sucks. :(

You can list whomever you want on your family list. BUT you can not link your page to two significant other
I can not list both Butch and Murf as my husband you can not list a husband and a boyfriend at the same time either.

I have tried...

You can list whomever you want on your family list. BUT you can not link your page to two significant other
I can not list both Butch and Murf as my husband you can not list a husband and a boyfriend at the same time either.

I have tried...

Can you just leave it blank?

I wasn't expecting to be able to put multiple wives (in my case) but I seem to remember people listing "in relationship" or something similar, leaving the second field blank

You do not have to define who the people in your family list are to you.

For example my boss is on mine. He is like family to me. We have been friends 20 + yrs

But what I think bluebird want is for her profile to say married to D and in a relationship with boyfriend. You can only have one SO's profile linked to yours. Or just not list either.

You can write 'In a relationship with' and then add them to your friends list AS 'husband' and 'boyfriend' or both 'partners' or both 'husbands' but you simply can't in your relationship status.

Yeah, I was looking to add them both in the "In a Relationship with" section.

I took a look at the place where you can define people as "Family" in a list. There isn't a "boyfriend" option, but maybe that is because I have a defined "husband" already? I also don't see a "partner" option. :(

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Yeah, I was looking to add them both in the "In a Relationship with" section.

I took a look at the place where you can define people as "Family" in a list. There isn't a "boyfriend" option, but maybe that is because I have a defined "husband" already? I also don't see a "partner" option. :(

Thanks for the help.

Partner was definitely there because I used it. I just went back to check and it looks like they removed the option.

And they also removed the marital ones from there, since I know a man who had two women listed as 'Wife' that way, I realise now that Facebook has purposely removed that option for Poly people. Bastards!

Wow that is really lame.

Yeah, they used to have a partner option in the family section, but they later removed it. But there is one thing you can do: you can add a life event. From there choose relationships (or something similar) and choose started a relationship or started an open relationship with... and there you can add many people at once. I did that, so then it just popped up in people's newsfeed that 'Mya is in an open relationship with rory and Hank' (with links to their profiles). It's not the same thing because it won't be visible forever, but at least it shows up to more people because it's a life event instead of a regular status.

Yeesh... Luckily, we managed to be grandfathered in (pun intended) when they allowed multiple partners, so P's family list is still intact.

What P ended up doing, in order to have something in the "relationship status" part of his profile, was to create a page for the two of us and be "in a relationship" with that page.

Of course, creating a "fake" page is against Facebook's terms of service, but they haven't shut it down yet...

Wow, social media acknowledgement is vital to you guys. I removed my relationship status. The Daddy person has in a relationship with no link to me.

I feel the same as london. I know it sucks that FB is so poly-unfriendly, but I don't get why FB relationship status is such a big deal. If you want people to know you have more than one partner, you have other ways to tell them. If your only contact with someone is via FB, I doubt it's important for them to know your relationship status anyway.

I hate FB but was urged to join by colleagues in my field so I could create and link to Pages for my projects and create some buzz. However, if I don't have a project going on (which unfortunately is most of the time), I rarely login to FB for my personal account. Unfortunately, some members in my family insist on using FB as the main way they stay in touch with relatives, so I get messages sent to me through the FB interface - which I hate. Just email me directly, please! But no, they have to use FB for some reason.

My account is set to pretty much only let my family see each other in my list of who's connected with me. Everyone else who is connected to me on FB cannot see my pictures, friends list, etc. Professionals in my field see posts about my projects and that's it - they don't see my family or friends. I am the only one who can post to my wall and I am very selective about who sees my posts. I never understand why people who don't know each other want to connect on FB and let strangers see their personal pictures and connections. I am always flummoxed when I read here that people use FB as the primary way to communicate with others in their lives. Whenever I see posts like, "He posted such-and-such, what does he mean by that?" or "She added a pictures of so-and-so, so it must mean we're over," I always think, "Can't you just call them and ask?" Why all the strategizing and interpreting? I just don't get it. And sometimes I want to enter a sweepstakes or contest, but when I have to login to FB and like a company in order to do that, it really pisses me off.

So, I guess you can tell that any kind of relationship status is not something I would place much importance on, so I can't offer any suggestions. Sorry, just venting a little, I guess.

I think 'vital' is quite a strong word to describe people's wishes to be able to put their relationship info on fb like mono people can. I can say for myself that it definitely isn't vital, it's just the unfairness of it that bugs me. It really depends on a person's way of using Facebook overall. Some people share more than others. If you'd be the type of person who would put a relationship status on fb if you were mono, that probably doesn't change if you're openly poly.

Mine says " It's Complicated" which covers my relationship status as far as Facebook is concerned.
Hugs
:p

Back