Somegeezer's Blog Of Life

I've thought about maybe giving myself routine. I've never enjoyed routine, which is why I don't go by one anymore. But it seems to work for people. I'm just not sure about how I could, whilst still maintaining happiness with it. I don't even like sleeping at the same time every night. I just go when I'm tired.

What if you start small? Using the bedtime example, instead of saying you'll go to bed at 11 every night, you could instead say that you'll be in bed by midnight every say, Monday and Wednesday.

Once you've adjusted to that, increase the number of days gradually.

Again, the bedtime is only an example, but no one says all the changes need to be made at once. :)

What if you start small? Using the bedtime example, instead of saying you'll go to bed at 11 every night, you could instead say that you'll be in bed by midnight every say, Monday and Wednesday.

Once you've adjusted to that, increase the number of days gradually.

Again, the bedtime is only an example, but no one says all the changes need to be made at once. :)
Yeah. I think that is one of the last things I'd want to change though haha. I keep telling myself I should practise my instrument more often. Having it out of my case and next to my amp has helped a little, but I still don't learn enough new material. I keep going over things I already know well enough.

Yeah. I think that is one of the last things I'd want to change though haha. I keep telling myself I should practise my instrument more often. Having it out of my case and next to my amp has helped a little, but I still don't learn enough new material. I keep going over things I already know well enough.

What about saying that you'll spend five minutes on something new when you practice?

What about saying that you'll spend five minutes on something new when you practice?
I shall. Even if it's just a little section of a song or something that I will just repeat over til I get it perfect. I think it might be a good place to start.

Just go outside. Really. That's how things happen. Go scrub the civilization out from under your fingernails.

When you first considered that possessiveness and control were less than useful in relating to other people and their lives, did you not also consider that the same thing applied to your relationship with yourself? Work for it, yes, but resist the temptation to think that you will ever get want you want by lusting after it. Go outside, where you can be heard, out there in the physical world somewhere, and tell the Universe what you want. If the Universe doesn't know what it is that you want, it can't give it to you.

Music and Film? Absolutely strive to find an academic program that looks promising, but don't lose sight of the fact that music and films are made everyday, on the street, by real people, not just formally trained, degree wielding persons. Go outside, lick your finger, hold it up to the wind, identitfy which way it's blowing, and start walking in that direction. See what happens. Be open to it.

It's like trying to focus on something in the dark or at dusk: If you look just to the left or right of what you want to see, you see it more clearly than trying to stare directly at it.

Just go outside. Really. That's how things happen. Go scrub the civilization out from under your fingernails.

When you first considered that possessiveness and control were less than useful in relating to other people and their lives, did you not also consider that the same thing applied to your relationship with yourself? Work for it, yes, but resist the temptation to think that you will ever get want you want by lusting after it. Go outside, where you can be heard, out there in the physical world somewhere, and tell the Universe what you want. If the Universe doesn't know what it is that you want, it can't give it to you.

Music and Film? Absolutely strive to find an academic program that looks promising, but don't lose sight of the fact that music and films are made everyday, on the street, by real people, not just formally trained, degree wielding persons. Go outside, lick your finger, hold it up to the wind, identitfy which way it's blowing, and start walking in that direction. See what happens. Be open to it.

It's like trying to focus on something in the dark or at dusk: If you look just to the left or right of what you want to see, you see it more clearly than trying to stare directly at it.
I enjoy reading your words. A lot. :D My uncle said the same thing to me last month. Just to push myself out there and see where it takes me. I don't have any experience with that though. I'll try it though.

Shine.

Somegeezer,

When I teach at the university or college level, where I must hand out grades for performance, I tell my students one thing in particular on the first day:

"I have no interest in chasing a bunch of other adults around, telling them what they should or should not be doing. That is not my job. If you desire to be educated, to learn, to take risks, and to grow your soul, show up, and I will teach you everything I know. For the things I do not know, I will be the first to say so, and we can learn it together. But you must be here, participating, for anything of value to happen. It's your life, your education, and your money. It's your choice."

Don't try.

Do.

Somegeezer,

When I teach at the university or college level, where I must hand out grades for performance, I tell my students one thing in particular on the first day:

"I have no interest in chasing a bunch of other adults around, telling them what they should or should not be doing. That is not my job. If you desire to be educated, to learn, to take risks, and to grow your soul, show up, and I will teach you everything I know. For the things I do not know, I will be the first to say so, and we can learn it together. But you must be here, participating, for anything of value to happen. It's your life, your education, and your money. It's your choice."

Don't try.

Do.
I agree with that paragraph. It's something I live by myself. But I wouldn't study something I'm not interested in. I don't teach myself things that have no value to my future. Learning is not the same as going out and doing things.

By going out and doing things, you can learn and learning can often mean you have to go out and do things. But they are separate.

Foresight

Trust me when I say that you cannot know what things are valuable to your future. Everything you can learn, and I mean EVERYTHING, has the potential to open that one critical door that leads you to your goal(s).

For instance, my father worked for many years in municipal waste water treatment, or to put it bluntly, cleaning up other people's shit. I learned skills from him, without ever desiring to be a pipe fitter. Long story short, I just finished fixing a toilet/sink for a tenant, who pays rent, and thus supports part of my life.

Trust me when I say that you cannot know what things are valuable to your future. Everything you can learn, and I mean EVERYTHING, has the potential to open that one critical door that leads you to your goal(s).

For instance, my father worked for many years in municipal waste water treatment, or to put it bluntly, cleaning up other people's shit. I learned skills from him, without ever desiring to be a pipe fitter. Long story short, I just finished fixing a toilet/sink for a tenant, who pays rent, and thus supports part of my life.
Knowing how to fix pipes is a handy skill for anyone to have. It brings the cost down when you have to fix some pipes. Knowing someone close who has those skills is just as good. My mother's partner is an all round handy man. Electric, gas, plumbing, woodwork, building. He does it all. Because he lives here, he does it for free.

Don't mistake handy skills for truly valuable ones. Knowledge which can change your life, isn't knowledge that can save you a few pennies here and there.

I haven't been posting as much on this forum lately. Though I am still reading a lot of the stuff! It's all still very interesting and I'm still learning a lot about polyamory.

In my own poly news, still making new friends everyday and always getting closer to them. =] Still no romantic relationships, but a very loving family, full of close and amazing friends. =]

I don't know if I mentioned anything already about my band breaking up, but we actually just got everything back on track. Our last gig was in November I think. The very beginning of. But I have my first practise in a long while coming up on sunday and I'm feeling fresh. Feels like I've been sitting about at my computer for too long. Will feel good having my music back. =]

I hope all is good with everyone else and that you all have huge smiles on those lovely faces. =] I'll keep updating as I can.

My mother and Dave [her partner] just came back from their second trip together to Canada. [they have been many time separately before too]. They went to Calgary and really enjoyed themselves. They have been planning on moving there for a long time together and I believe they have settled on Calgary. Hopefully in the next 2 years or so, they will be out there and I'll be left with a house to myself. [unless I'm lucky enough to have some lovely people move in with me]

So yeah, just a little update on my life. Still reading all the great posts on here, even though I've not been replying much to them, so I'm not dead or anything. =P

Good to hear you're alive and well! I knew I hadn't seen you posting much lately and was hoping all was well. You've given lots of good feedback and support to many on here, myself included.

I don't get on here that often either/or even less often post ! - Great news about getting the band back together !!!! Fabbo !

There's nothing like playing music with other people.

I often look at my child playing with mates....I think I have the same smile when I play music with my mates...

There should be more playing in the world ;)

Good to hear you're alive and well! I knew I hadn't seen you posting much lately and was hoping all was well. You've given lots of good feedback and support to many on here, myself included.
I do enjoy helping people out as much as I can, with what I have. =] I hope whatever I gave you really helped and made your life just that little bit better. =]

I don't get on here that often either/or even less often post ! - Great news about getting the band back together !!!! Fabbo !

There's nothing like playing music with other people.

I often look at my child playing with mates....I think I have the same smile when I play music with my mates...

There should be more playing in the world ;)
Unfortunately, that band has officially quit now. We've gone our separate ways. Si [lead guitar and vocals] went on the make his secondary band his new primary and I went on to join a new band. They are brilliant guys and seem to have it together from the get go. Had a few gigs with them and enjoyed myself. =] Plus they have a German vocalist. He's amazing. ;D - http://www.myspace.com/shadowsofviolence - Check them out if you fancy it. Recordings aren't brilliant up there and not many people get into Metal easily, but worth checking out.

Playing is a lot of fun for everyone. =] Growing up is boring. =P You can be mature and have fun at the same time. Music is just where I get the most of my fun. =] What do you play may I ask? Feel free to give me a link if you have anything online too. =]

Just started a relationship with someone who I mentioned polyamory to and understands what it means for me. She seems to support it, but also finding it hard to bring herself into as a mono herself. I think if someone else does come into my life, there will be a lot of jealousy to cope with. But hoping I can help with that and any other problems that I am sure will come forward at some point.

Thanks for reading my small and irregular updates to those of you who do. =]

Wow - exciting times !!

Violin - Very poorly at present...my enthusiasm is strong though :)
Quite. Hopefully more excitement in my life to come. =D

Violin is cool. I wish I could play it. =] Being a stringed instrument, I would probably do well with it. Strings and percussion are my 2 favs. Probably woodwind and brass equally after that. Or perhaps synths just before them. Either way! =P I wanna learn violin one day. =] Enthusiasm is good. Keep it up and you will get there fast. =]

Back