Open in the Upper Midwest

placeofexile

Hi everyone! Early 30's male here new to open relationships. My partner and I aren't in a polyamorous relationship per se, but I was simply hoping to find people here who are non-judgmental and can offer advice on how to successfully navigate an open relationship and find, yes, other sexual partners who understand and respect your life choice. Thanks!

Hello placeofexile,
Welcome to our forum.

We have a Dating & Friendships subforum; you may find that helpful (if you haven't been there already).

You'll definitely find people here who are sympathetic and understanding towards you. Just explore our various threads a little, see what calls to you, and post any thoughts and questions you may have.

I get the impression you and your partner are kind of in the "thinking about it" stage. Is that accurate?

In any case, I'm glad to welcome you aboard.

Sincerely,
Kevin T.

Good question. I classify our relationship as an open (we both are able to have other sexual partners) rather than polyamorous relationship, which I understand to be more than two individuals involved in a romantic relationship. In any case, I'm sure definitions are contested and I could be wrong. Your insight, as well as others, is certainly welcome.

Ah.

By the way, you kind find a thread about words and definitions at: http://www.polyamory.com/forum/showthread.php?p=15365#post15365

Basically, if it's "just sex" outside your primary relationship, it's swing or FWB. If there are emotions and possibly commitment involved (i.e. "in love") with other lovers, then it's polyamory.

Are you guys open to a polyamorous dynamic possibly developing, or are you keeping it at the "just open" stage for now? (Just curious.)

Regards,
Kevin T.

We're open to seeing how things progress. For now, it's more about acknowledging that our emotional needs are met by the relationship, but that we may have physical needs only outsiders can satiate. That's not to say that we won't develop any emotional bonds with them, but the primary relationship takes precedence.

That sounds fine; many poly/open relationships are based on that model.

Back