The Keffiyeh

Helo

I've worn a keffiyeh (or shemagh as they may be better known) for keffiyeh for several years. I'm very in favor of the symbolism behind it and its also a very nice piece of clothing regardless of what you're doing.

I've seen keffiyehs catch on with hipster kids (though the trend seems to have largely skipped Los Angeles) and was a brief flash in the fashion community so they aren't a completely unknown piece of clothing where I live. That said, I've gotten a wide variety of different responses but most have been positive and I'm wondering what other people's experiences have been wearing one or just what your impressions are when you see someone wearing one.

I have no idea what the symbolism behind it is. I didn't even know the words keffiyeh or shemagh, though once I googled it I recognized what I saw.

As far as impressions go, if I see one being worn around the head, I assume there are religious or practical reasons, and if I see one being worn around the neck I assume there are practical or fashionable reasons.

Other than that I don't really have positive or negative thoughts about them. I suppose it's possible that wearing one could be part of me mentally labeling someone a hipster, but there'd have to be more going on than just the one item of clothing, and even then it'd be idle speculation, nothing I'd actually base my responses/actions on. I wouldn't wear one myself, but that's due to how I feel physically having stuff by my neck, especially something with lots of little fringe bits. It would drive me nuts.

Back