Your fave poly books - fiction and non fiction

Endicott

This is one of the questions that came out of this month's polyamory social (Broward Florida): what books would you recommend people to read that are poly friendly and/or poly relevant? Fiction or non fiction

I know this topic has been talked to death, but there is always something new that someone has come up with.

Thx Redpepper for your help!

I love Tymber Dalton for fictional books in regards to polyamory. She has some intense BD/SM ones as well.

She is on amazon and you can download a kindle reader onto your pc.

For fantasy ... Jacqueline Carey has a number of books, collectivly known as "Kushiel's Legacy."

I saw someone on here with the premise of the books in their sig: "Love as thou wilt"

These opened my eyes in terms of how I realized I felt, despite the fact that they are "only" fantasy. :D

There is also a booked called The One. Which ultimately is kind of a not all good and not all bad of poly. I first heard of poly through fiction.

I will check out the books you mentioned.

I just discovered "Letters About Lovers," it's about a poly woman writing letters to a friend about her lovers, set in 1906. I'd never heard of the author before (Katarina Cameron) and wasn't expecting much, but actually it was really quite good.

I just read "The Ethical Slut", a nonfiction. That's what really got me super interested in figuring out what poly is all about.

Just about any book by Robert Heinlein (sci-fi) that I have ever read has had a poly angle, although in Stranger in a Strange Land, he does seem to have a homophobic streak. Still well worth reading though.

Marion Zimmerman Bradley's Darkover series has some poly related themes as well (also sci-fi).

I don't know if they've already been listed as poly related fiction because I confess I haven't looked through this whole thread, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

The well-known fantasy/sci-fi author Ursula K. Le Guin deals with polygamy or other forms of non-monoamory in many of her tales, I could for example suggest her great collection of short stories The Birthday of the World.

The best sci-fi there is!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Birthday_of_the_World

Didn't read that one. The only one I've read of hers was The Lathe of Heaven, which didn't seem to have any poly in it, but I still thought it was an awesome book :). My personal favourite poly author is Robert Heinlein. Apparently he wasn't actually poly in real life (or so the official story goes), but I found his book Stranger in a Strange Land to be truly inspirational. I was told about it by someone who's a member of HAI (Human Awareness Institute), which is an international organization who are supportive of poly people. I also really liked his book Glory Road, which does have a bit of poly in it. Heinlein isn't perfect; I think that he was a product of his time, which seems to be predominantly in the 60s. That being said, I really think he had some very good ideas concerning how sexual relations between people should be like.

I also really liked his book Glory Road, which does have a bit of poly in it. Heinlein isn't perfect; I think that he was a product of his time, which seems to be predominantly in the 60s. That being said, I really think he had some very good ideas concerning how sexual relations between people should be like.

Glory Road is one of my husband's and my favorite books ever! :) The first Heinlein I ever red. I don't think it was really poly in the book, it was more just open sexuality. Although, I believe the theme of loving one person not diminishing your love for another was represented even if it wasn't in a strictly romantic sense.

Glory Road is one of my husband's and my favorite books ever! :) The first Heinlein I ever red. I don't think it was really poly in the book, it was more just open sexuality.

I guess.. that family where the main character was a guest of honor seemed pretty loving though, laugh :).

Although, I believe the theme of loving one person not diminishing your love for another was represented even if it wasn't in a strictly romantic sense.

Yeah. Thinking of poly books, there was actually one other book that certainly had a poly element in it. It's another work of fiction, I've tended to generally just read fiction (with a few exceptions). It's called Ysabel, and details the story of 2 men who've loved the same woman for centuries and have fought countless battles for her hand. The story of mankind to some extent; the woman loves them both but, because sharing isn't an option, the battles ensue. It's finally ended by someone who ends up getting close to both of the men as well as the woman. I really liked it anyway, laugh :).

It's from Guy Gavriel Kay, who just happens to be a Toronto, Canada author, where I've lived most of my life (though currently a bit further north).

Back