OkCupid and Privacy

Astirarose

This has been my biggest drawback. You are required to have a photo, or they keep sending you messages.

My biggest concern is my ex, or someone he knows coming across my profile.

He does not have a huge network, so I wonder for anyone who was concerned about privacy, have you actually had any issues running across someone who was connected to someone you were avoiding (letting them find out about Poly).

Maybe certain settings minimize this possibility?

Ive met a few people already, but terrified when someone who lives near my ex has checked out my profile.

Could you put just a bodyshot in? Or a photo of you from a distance that doesn't show your face? A photo of a group of people in which you're one of the people? I don't know if there are settings that address your concern.

Hi Astirarose,

To get OKCupid to stop bugging you about a photo, I suppose you could upload a photo that somehow obscures or omits your face. Of course that hampers the way OKC is supposed to work, similar to if you entered a false location for where you live. You have to weigh how much privacy you want against how much you want to advertise yourself to potential dating partners.

Regards,
Kevin T.

There was one guy on OKC who had a really cool piece of art as his photo, it was something that spoke to the kind of person he was and it made him look kind of interesting. When we talked a bit, he explained it was because he is a high school teacher, and he's afraid of who might see him there (other staff, parents, even students! Never know.) It made perfect sense to me.

He was pretty cool, and if he hadn't lived a bit too far away, I'd probably have gone on a date with him.

You can put up a picture of something that isn't you, and say in your profile that you've got privacy concerns but you'll share photos by some other method such as email or text if you get to know each other a bit.

As a woman if I did that though, knowing how "visual" men can supposedly be, I'd include a brief general description of myself so they'd have some idea if I was physically their "type" or not.

Ive tried that, and My photo has been flagged, although I'm sure it was also because I was having issues with my account, so OK Cupid probably saw my photo directly.

I will try something again. I haven't had issues with men contacting me at all even without a photo, although I'm sure a photo generates more.

But thank you.

...To get OKCupid to stop bugging you about a photo, I suppose you could upload a photo that somehow obscures or omits your face. Of course that hampers the way OKC is supposed to work, similar to if you entered a false location for where you live. You have to weigh how much privacy you want against how much you want to advertise yourself to potential dating partners...

This is what I did. My photo is of my (naked) back painted with latex paints by my boys (lots of OKC folks comment on my "tattoo" - which shows they didn't read my profile :rolleyes:) My "location" is the town halfway between my home and my work...

Something you might also want to keep in mind for privacy. Do not use photos that can be found elsewhere on social media or the net in general. If you do that chances are someone can do a reverse image search and find the page the other copy of the photo is.

Something you might also want to keep in mind for privacy. Do not use photos that can be found elsewhere on social media or the net in general. If you do that chances are someone can do a reverse image search and find the page the other copy of the photo is.

OMG, I wonder if thats how one guy found me?

I have a very common name so its not easily searchable.

I did do OK Cupid, but disabled it, its been overwhelming for me at the moment.

That can be very handy though. Cat did that once with a guy who didn't seem on the up and up. It turned out he had a bunch of different profiles all with a different story.

Back