PolyAmor

Tattoosandtaboo

Hello and good afternoon all! We are a 27 yr old MF couple, been together for two years, and are new to this site and poly scene. There isnt much (if any) of a community in El Paso, and we havent had any luck with the more common websites. So now we are here :)

Hope all is having a wonderful day, dont hesitate to write or ask a question!

Attachments

• 3628796_NOOVERLAYFalse_False_1-00_0-00_0_ROTATE_NONE_ (1).jpg
    3628796_NOOVERLAYFalse_False_1-00_0-00_0_ROTATE_NONE_ (1).jpg
    14 KB · Views: 27
Greetings Tattoosandtaboo,
Welcome to our forum. Please feel free to lurk, browse, etc.

Lots to learn and do here so have a look around. Have you known about poly for awhile or just heard of it recently? Also if I may ask, what are some of the other websites you've looked at so far?

I hope you find the poly life that you seek and that Polyamory.com proves to be a valuable resource. I'll follow this thread so you can always ping me here; other members will post in answer to your questions and whatnot as well I'm sure.

Sincerely,
Kevin T., "official greeter" :)

Notes:

There's a *lot* of good info in Golden Nuggets. Have a look!

Please read through the guidelines if you haven't already.

Note: You needn't read every reply to your posts, especially if someone posts in a disagreeable way. Given the size and scope of the site it's hard not to run into the occasional disagreeable person. Please contact the mods if you do (or if you see any spam), and you can block the person if you want.

If you have any questions about the board itself, please private-message a mod and they'll do their best to help.

Welcome aboard!

Hello tattoosandtaboo and welcome from a fellow newbie. :D
This looks like a great place to gain some knowledge about the lifestyle.
I'm hoping to do the same.

Greetings :) To be honest, we were talking one day and realized we both wanted the poly lifestyle. At the time to us poly immediately referred to polygamy, didn't know there was a whole other side that people were already doing, talking about, and ways to meet. We spent a little time trying pof, okcupid, and a few other of the free dating sites/apps. Found people more interested in picture hoarding, than actually getting to know someone. Also quickly realized those places are for freebirds just looking for a good time. Not looking to build a life. Luckily we stumbled across a few people who used the word poly, and one who was even kind enough to explain it. True newbs I know, but embarrassing to admit haha. Just glad places like this, and people like y'all are in fact out there :) We are not alone!

Cool (and everyone has to be a newbie at one time or another! I think we're all newbies in fact). I know some about POF and OKC; I'm curious have you tried PMM as well (PolyMatchMaker)? It's not as heavily populated but it's perfect for polys wanting to get to know other polys.

Sometimes it is helpful to make (platonic) friends with people in local poly groups, and one never knows when a platonic friendship will lead to something romantic later on. Googling "El Paso polyamory," or even "Texas polyamory," may yield some local groups you can join.

In the meantime you can make a lot of friends on Polyamory.com, and get a lot of good advice.

Good luck in your poly adventure!
Sincerely,
Kevin T.

Hello again :) We have also tried pmm, place is dead though as far as we can tell. Messaged a few people, no replies. No real noticeable activity. I'm sure it has to do with where we live. Did the google thing too, there's huge amazing communities in Austin and Houston. They even have movie nights, monthly get togethers, etc. Very involved communities.. Here in El Paso, people go to the swinger bars, or on craigslist haha. Also tried befriending other polys platonically, hasn't been good experiences so far though. Don't mean to be down and negative, many apologies. One day we'll find her though ;)

Okay, two final thoughts, then I'll say "Just keep the faith, she's out there."

"As for where to meet poly people, if by some chance you are interested in anything alternative like Renaissance fairs, goth culture, sci-fi conventions, indie music, bdsm, or any small fringe group, you will be more likely to meet people who have at least heard of poly and are accepting of it."
-- SpaceHippieGeek, Polyamorous Percolations

Even if it's not an "alternative" type group, if there's a club or something in your area that does something you're interested in, you can always join that group and it just gives you a way to get out there and meet people. If you meet someone on a platonic level and get to talking about poly, then they can decide how they feel about it without any "pressure to agree." Then if they do decide poly doesn't bother them too much, and some kind of romantic connection subsequently develops, you'll already have "had the poly conversation" with them.

And that's basically all I got. There's sites for finding local poly groups but I admit you probably won't get much farther than you have already.

Anyway, polyamory is a big undertaking so it's not like you need to be in a hurry to find anyone anyway. Use the time to your advantage; study a lot of threads on Polyamory.com and post lots of questions and whatnot. It's a good idea to know ahead of time about the common pitfalls and pro tips. Ahem, I think I'm sort of repeating myself but ... only cause it's a good thing to repeat.

Enjoy your stay with us!
Sincerely,
Kevin T.

Hello from El Paso

Hey T&T...just wanted to reach out and intro ourselves. If you guys want to go out for drinks or dinner sometime just to hang with like minded people then hit us up.

You're right. EP isn't very populated with people interested in poly. Seems to be more of a swing lifestyle that's hit and run instead of relationship building.

Back