Greetings from St Louis!

RunSilentRunDeep

Hello!

My wife and I have been married for 20+ years; we have two lads in college. I am usually the one on forums like these; my wife tends to engage in "poly stuff" only with people she has met face-to-face.

She and I have always been "emotionally poly;" we only discovered "the p-word" a handful of years ago, and we have been carefully easing ourselves into being physically poly as well.

Our own version of poly is a set of Vees: one on her, one on me. Her two guys don't have anyone but her; my ladies do have others. As it happens, right now none of my own relationships is physical.

On a personal note, during the 1970s and early 1980s I was a nuclear-trained submarine officer -- served aboard two submarines, one a ballistic missile submarine and the other a "fast attack" submarine. After another ten years in the Naval Reserve I retired. Now that I'm past age 60, I'm getting some retired pay out of it.

While a reservist, I lived in London (UK) for 4 years earning a Ph.D. at the U of London in "Ecclesiastical History." I enjoyed both my stay and my studies there. But, of course, with that and a couple of bucks you can get a cup of coffee ... ;)

All of which means, of course, that I'm terribly bright, amazingly witty, and an all-around delight to be around ... right? right? right??? :D

Whatever you might hear from reality shows, where some guy has multiple 20 something girlfriends, the truth is that plenty of poly people are 1) older and 2) married or gone through a divorce.

The younger poly community also tends to be more dating focused, rather than relationship building focused. At least from my personal experience. My theory is that it takes time to get accustomed to something like poly and people are more ready to commit later in life.

So I'd say dating in your 40s and 50s is in some ways easier than dating in your 20s ;) At least, assuming you want something long term.

*chuckle* True, true! Certainly the age-range of women I find interesting has widened considerably, since I was 20!

That said, most of the poly people I know locally are in the age-range from late 20s to about 40. So far, I have seen very very few (locally) who are in their 50s.

They might be here, but deeply closeted. Dunno.

Greetings RunSilentRunDeep,
Welcome to our forum. Please feel free to lurk, browse, etc.

Sounds like you have had an interesting career and education and whatnot -- an all-around bright, witty, delightful guy, right right right! ;)

Only recently has poly (the word) become relatively widely known in society and I think younger folks generally have a better chance of having heard of it. But age aside, most folks seem to find that they have at least a trace of poly in them!

Hope you enjoy your stay on Polyamory.com, poke around and see what interests you and don't hesitate to ask any questions.

Sincerely,
Kevin T., "official greeter" :)

Notes:

There's a *lot* of good info in Golden Nuggets. Have a look!

Please read through the guidelines if you haven't already.

Note: You needn't read every reply to your posts, especially if someone posts in a disagreeable way. Given the size and scope of the site it's hard not to run into the occasional disagreeable person. Please contact the mods if you do (or if you see any spam), and you can block the person if you want.

If you have any questions about the board itself, please private-message a mod and they'll do their best to help.

Welcome aboard!

Thanks, kdt. Yes, that's largely my experience so far.

But, rather than let this grow into a discussion thread, I'll leave it at that, here.

Again, thanks all for the welcome!

Back