The "How Are You Doing" Thread (redux)

Really sick of my tertiary relationship with Murphys Law, otherwise the rest of my interactions are going well.
I have Christmas dates set with 2 lovers, and hubby and I get to go away for a weekend in the mountains, courtesy of his company that has a 'go big' attitude about xmas parties. Yay !

I'm doing okay. Last night was fun just hanging out, but poor Runic Wolf was tired and fell asleep in my lap while Wendigo was cuddling me from the other side and playing a video game. On the way home, Wendigo asked me why I didn't pounce on him while Runic Wolf and our friend Rothgar ran out to the store and left us with our friend J, who knows about us. I replied that since the big cluster fuck in January, I no longer trust J and didn't want to make all of us uncomfortable.

But today will be full of good things; meeting new clients; getting my sewing machine back from the repair shop; and finally getting food in the house. And if Runic Wolf is feeling up to it, more cuddles and sexy time. :)

Crappy sucky ending to an otherwise awesome evening.

Hubby is in hospital overnight for observation - he had some heart issues and because of his heart attacks - they're keeping him there despite everything looking good.

Just when my irrational fears surrounding this were disappating.... :(

Oh, I've been debating whether to have mine repaired or get a new one. I never really liked my machine, but I hate to be wasteful and not repair it if that is possible. It keeps jamming like crazy!

All sewing machines are "supposed" to be serviced once a year... mine might get in every 6 :rolleyes:. In the mean time, try switching thread (use top quality thread, it makes a huge difference) and changing to a new needle.

Hubby is in hospital overnight for observation - he had some heart issues and because of his heart attacks - they're keeping him there despite everything looking good.(

My prayers are with you. My dad has been a heart patient since 1972, in 1980 he had 7 bypasses, now 30+ years later, there is nothing more they can do for him, every little episode is scary, so I completely understand your fear. Also my best friends husband has been in an out of the hospital with heart attacks (3 I think) and multiple angioplasties over the last couple of years and I am seriously worried about him (he's not even 40 yet).

It turned out that my bobbin casing was damaged when S broke a needle off in it and then immediately replaced the it with a new needle and didn't search for the missing middle piece. She bent the next needle and I was like, stop. No more trying to "fix" my machine. The bobbin thread hadn't been coming up, but it turns out that I'd been using too thick of a thread for bobbins. Who knew?

I would suggest getting your machine oiled, also replace the needle everytime it starts jamming because it could be dull. Finally check your bobbin tension. My mom's machine was jamming and it turned out that I just needed to reset everything back to basic and change out the bobbin and needle. It's been fine ever since.

As for how I'm doing. I'm feeling pretty damn good. I ran an errand this morning, picked up Wendigo for the day and spent a little under an hour intimately reconnecting with him before I had to pick Runic Wolf up from work. Then we all spent a few hours talking and relaxing on the couch before hitting the workshop. I just got back from paying a traffic ticket and am grateful that it was less than I was expecting.

Last edited:
Doing okay today. Slept very late.

I would suggest getting your machine oiled, also replace the needle everytime it starts jamming because it could be dull. Finally check your bobbin tension. My mom's machine was jamming and it turned out that I just needed to reset everything back to basic and change out the bobbin and needle. It's been fine ever since.
Yeah, I am always changing tension, never seem to find the right setting. I do need to remember to change needles, I know that they have to be sharp not to jam. But it's getting ridiculous.

My machine is a small portable (White brand) and once, about 20 years ago, a friend got me a job sewing a big curtain for a theater company. It was just a hem job, but it was a huge curtain so I brought my machine and worked on it on the floor. What the theater manager did not tell me is that he was still painting the backdrop on it while I was sewing. I needed the money at the time, so I continued but paint got into my machine and it's never been the same since. I think a general overhaul would do it some good, but sometimes I wonder if just buying a new machine would be a better solution. QVC sometimes sells machines for less than $200. I have no idea how much it would cost to fix this one.

Doing okay today. Slept very late.

Yeah, I am always changing tension, never seem to find the right setting. I do need to remember to change needles, I know that they have to be sharp not to jam. But it's getting ridiculous.

My machine is a small portable (White brand) and once, about 20 years ago, a friend got me a job sewing a big curtain for a theater company. It was just a hem job, but it was a huge curtain so I brought my machine and worked on it on the floor. What the theater manager did not tell me is that he was still painting the backdrop on it while I was sewing. I needed the money at the time, so I continued but paint got into my machine and it's never been the same since. I think a general overhaul would do it some good, but sometimes I wonder if just buying a new machine would be a better solution. QVC sometimes sells machines for less than $200. I have no idea how much it would cost to fix this one.

I bought a new singer heavy duty sewing machine for $160 on amazon back in June. My first sewing machine was a white as well, one of the models that they now say doesn't exist. lol. I spent $108 to get the singer repaired because it can sew ANYTHING. My White was a piece of crap from the beginning, but my grandmother bought it for me when I was 12 and didn't give it to me for 7 years.

If you are doing just basic sewing, I'd recommend one of the Singer 2200 series. 25 year warranties rock!

I got my Grandma's Singer when she died. Had to take it even though I dont sew much. My oldest daughter taught herself how to sew on it and got some good use out of it. When my marriage broke up and we sold the house, I gave the machine to miss pixi and she loves it soooo much. It's a Singer 401A from the 50s. Totally rocks. She's gadgety, so she's been servicing it herself. :):)

I'm in pain. Not sure what i did to myself, but I've had sharp, needle like pains in my left knee randomly ever since I came back from my weekend in the woods. I think I hurt it dropping to a knee on a rock/stick or something.

I got my Grandma's Singer when she died. Had to take it even though I dont sew much. My oldest daughter taught herself how to sew on it and got some good use out of it. When my marriage broke up and we sold the house, I gave the machine to miss pixi and she loves it soooo much. It's a Singer 401A from the 50s. Totally rocks. She's gadgety, so she's been servicing it herself. :):)

I LOVE old sewing machines. They have all metal guts and thus can handle light leather sewing. Anything that lets me not have to sew by hand is a blessing.

I'm in pain. Not sure what i did to myself, but I've had sharp, needle like pains in my left knee randomly ever since I came back from my weekend in the woods. I think I hurt it dropping to a knee on a rock/stick or something.

Hope you feel better soon!

I LOVE old sewing machines. They have all metal guts and thus can handle light leather sewing. Anything that lets me not have to sew by hand is a blessing.

I love old anything. My new obsession is metal electric fans. I've got a small collection. I LOVE how repairable old appliances are!

I'm flying down to Florida today for 10 days to see my sister who is taking a nice vacation from her job so she doenst waste her vacation days. We will have lots of fun, but I will sure miss miss pixi and my new relationship friends back at home.

I am a lucky girl.

I actually have 3 sewing machines, the Singer which I bought last year, the crappy White my grandma bought me 18 years ago, and my grandmother's PFAFF 332 that my mom gave me when Gram passed away almost 3 years ago. The PFAFF is from the 50's as well, and has 2 dozen attachments I've never seen before that look like medieval torture devices, I have thus far only been able to find a book in .jpeg format, but the local singer shop is willing to show me how it works. :)

As for me today, I woke up with terrible back pain and it is laundry day so I am considering a long soak in a hot tub.

... I am considering a long soak in a hot tub.
That sounds wunnerful! I love taking baths (especially with bubbles!), but my bathroom is small and my tub is short and not very deep. Whenever I get in it, my legs are sticking out of the water and I stare into the litter box. Not exactly the effect I'm going for. :eek:

I am feeling pretty good today. Got some prepping done for my little tag sale. Inquired about some collectibles I want to get rid of, waiting to hear back from the experts. Sorted through lots of papers and have a pile to shred. Put some ads up online for furniture I'm selling and got some responses. Now it's time to just show me the money.

Good to be home with my wife and my boy.

I'm a total atheist, but my wife had some church friends over, and I had an intense discussion with one of them ! I asked him if I could love 2 women, and his reaction was as expected - he we do all he could to get my wife to leave me if I tried that ! :D - oh it was sooo predictable I found it funny!

oh and then I asked "is it ok for people to have sex before married?"
him: "no"
Me: "because your book says so"
Him, without hesitation "yes!"

...and then the topic moved to same sex couples, and I started gathering more judgemental statements, when we were interrupted. it could have been interesting!

Wow bassman, you were really fundie baiting. How did your wife feel about you bringing up fornication with her friend like that?

I'm in Florida. Bit more rain than one would want, but warm and beautiful with lots of sunny breaks. Driving down to Miami Beach today, for Art Deco sightseeing! Yay, I LOVE Art Deco.

Back