Secret to Happiness

The "dry heat" factor is real; I've lived back east as well, and you can keep it, lol. After 13 years I never managed to grow gills and got sick of trying. :p BUT - while the ambient shade temp is tolerable well into the 100's (low 40's C) with <20% humidity (sometimes 5 or 7%), there are other factors to consider.

Firstly - a game we call "spot the locals". It's played by sitting somewhere where you can see a large group of people outdoors on a good hot day, especially if you can find an elevated position, and waiting for a breeze to pick up. The ones who immediately duck for cover are locals, lol. The ones that turn into the wind expecting a little relief and wince horribly at the blast furnace effect that follows - those are tourists, or really new to town, LMAO. So - no humidity = breezes SUCK, no relief there!

Secondly - whe I grew up back east and went to the beach, we had to watch the UV index and apply sunscreen or sunblock accordingly. It was a scale that I THOUGHT went from 1-10, and if yu wanted to tan you used SPF 8 through 12, and if the index was an 8 or heavan forbid a 10, you used SPF 30 or CRAXY strong stuff like SPF 45.

LOL!

I didn't know the index went over 10 until it hit 12 one day in MARCH my first year here. We hit 14 or 15 in July. SPF 30 to 50 - sure, if you're only going to be out for a short while and you have a nice tan already. SPF 80 to 100 is a REALLY good idea if you're going to be out very long at all, and reapply it FREQUENTLY. I didn't even know they made it that strong till I got here,lol. And the 8 or 12 or 15 stuff? Yeah - not on the shelves. Anywhere. Might as well rub olive oil on your skin. Unprotected, I have managed 2nd degree sunburn in under 20 minutes of direct exposure to the sun.

So - keep to the shade, avoid the wind at all costs, and you'll be fine. Oh - when it breaks 110, the low humidity doesn't help much. 114 degrees F is just damn hot any way you cut it, lol. Though I once in Havasu once when the outside temps broke 130... ;)

I don't see what the problem is with heat and humidity. Central air conditioning is the answer to - well, most of the world's problems. Just stay inside, folks. All that nonsense about exercise is government propaganda. The feds want you out there where they can take pictures of you.

Well, not in Canada, I admit. Don't think Ottawa concerns itself with chasing down all of you everywhere you are. Just be careful not to get more than 200,000 people in Canada or they'll get interested. I'm just kidding, don't hit me!

Hey, you could buy Loving Radiance's house;)

LOL If only we could afford to buy a house right now!!!

I grew up in Ohio, Summers were ehhhh. Humid at times, hot at times, but overall tolerable, even with all my medical problems.

Maryland has its own weather patterns!!! I hate it! The humidity is terrible. And yes you almost really do have to swim through it. Thankfuly the air quality is so bad (yeah something to be thankful for) that they HAVE to install central air in rental properties. I rarely leave the house during the day in the summer. And in Ohio we at least got storms to cool it off. Not in MD. We get about 10 min of downpour then all that water just goes back into the air and you're not goin anywhere without scuba gear.

HMA-I was in South Dakota about 10 yrs ago and loved the dry heat. I was trying to explain it to Karma on the drive to Ohio last night. He just doesn't get it.

Oh and this Irish/German girl wears SPF-OMG all the time. Otherwise I'm a lobster for a week and then just as pale as before.

Redpepper and I just had a long talk over icecream and foruming and discovered the secret to happiness for poly and mono alike!
Step 1 - All pollies gather with Red Pepper on the left.
Step 2 - All monos gather with MonoVCPHG on the right.
Step 3 - All people on the right turn to the person closest to you and pair up (no sharing damn it! Remember what side you're on!! :mad:
Step 4 - All people on the left let out a big sigh and start doing it! And wrap it before you pack it people! Show some courtesy!
Now think about all the good in your life and take a minute just to smile :)
Love and peace
Seems worth a try to me. But someone should have a coach's whistle.:p

Last edited:
Back