Do I look fat to you?

Fidelia

This thread is a tangent off of http://www.polyamory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=699

So okay, y’all, There is a RIGHT ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION! And my amazing, wonderful, gorgeous adorable Hubby has found it.

Here’s how this scenario tends to run at our house now:

Me: Baby, do I look fat to you?
He: *looks me up and down slowly and appreciatively* Oh, yeah, baby, you look Pretty Hot And Tasty to me! My girl is PHAT, for sure.
*end of discussion. Beginning of kiss and cuddle.*

Another common variation:

Me: Baby, does this outfit make my butt look big?
He: *the slow and appreciative look* Oh yeah, baby. Mmm-hmm!
*end of discussion. Beginning of kiss and cuddle.*

This approach to the situation pretty much never fails at our house. ;) Feel free to experiment. Your mileage may vary.

Ken's and Barbies need not apply.

BarbieFat.jpg

Just Me,
Tim

Haha. In my house he says "Yes, you're fat" or "Your big butt makes your butt look big". Then I playfully hit him in the arm. Then we laugh. Because it was a stupid question to begin with. I know he loves me as I am as I do him.

It's such a silly loaded question that doesn't even mean what it looks like it means.

Those of us who are secure in our relationships would never ask the question unless we were truly interested in the answer. If the answer were "No", we would take that at face value, and if the answer were "Yes", we would appreciate the honest feedback.

Those who are insecure in their relationships have ulterior motives for asking that question. It is usually a red-herring as a prelude to an argument which can have no resolution: the argument itself is a means for obtaining the attention that is lacking in some other area. With these women (and I suppose men can be like this too, but it is usually women), There IS NO right answer. If you say "Yes honey you do look fat" then you are an insensitive bastard, but if you say "No honey you look fine" (or any of the other psycho-therapeutic textbook answers) then you're "not being honest".

GMAFB.

This is the kind of thing that makes me appreciate my cats more and more. They putz and smack each other, but then they know how to get along when it comes time to share the bed (and they even let me share it with them!). None of them are all, "So-and-so hurt my peewins! WAH!"

LMFAO

See, when I want a fight I at least give the husband warning. I flat out tell him I'm watching and waiting for him to do something stupid and I will bait him if I must. Because I'm cranky and I need a good verbal boxing match. And, though he never states the fact, I see when he needs to vent too. And I do something small and stupid to get him heated and fighting. We don't fight dirty. We don't pull the crying nonsense. We blow off steam until we're laughing at how we've forgotten what the fight is about. And we both feel better. Probably sounds weird as friends have been alarmed by the fact we fight. (Apparently we're never supposed to?) But we vent the small and the big never builds to a fight. The big is nipped in the bud. I'd rather yell he left food on his plate in the sink for 20 minutes just cause I want to yell than build up being angry over something big until that dam bursts.

My wife has turned these questions into a game. She will say, "Oh.. I have a good one for you.... Will you date again after I die?"

I will respond with, "Honey, I plan on taking a date to your funeral."

it is fun when it is not serious.

Your wife and I would get along.

My wife has turned these questions into a game. She will say, "Oh.. I have a good one for you.... Will you date again after I die?"

I will respond with, "Honey, I plan on taking a date to your funeral."

it is fun when it is not serious.

Sounds like something I would reply with! LMAO

I tell my husband that if he dies I'm going to Abbott's Glen and finding one of the overweight wealthy naked guys with hair on their backs and some weird skin condition and marrying one of them.

Now that we have discussed polyamory, I guess I don't have to wait for him to die...:p

Best laugh I've had in awhile. Thank you ladies!

Hahaha! Great posts!

Here's my little problem. I don't ask, "Does this make me look fat?" When I'm nervous about dressing up for something, I show him two earrings or two pairs of shoes and ask, "Which looks better?" or "Which one should I wear?" He gets frustrated and says he's a guy and doesn't know and whatever I pick will look good. Honestly, I know this, but the questions come from my insecurities about the situation I'm going into.

Oh well, more to work on to make myself a better person, and to quote GI Joe, "Knowing is half the battle." Hehe. I'm such a nerd.:p

He gets frustrated and says he's a guy and doesn't know and whatever I pick will look good. Honestly, I know this, but the questions come from my insecurities about the situation I'm going into.

He's giving you a straight-up honest answer. He IS a guy, and he probably really DOESN'T know, and whatever you pick really WILL look good to him.

So let him off the hook on this one, and either don't ask him what he thinks about the fashion choices, or ask him for a little reassurance, to help you deal directly with the insecurity issues. I'll bet he'd be really good at that. ;)

He's giving you a straight-up honest answer. He IS a guy, and he probably really DOESN'T know, and whatever you pick really WILL look good to him.

So let him off the hook on this one, and either don't ask him what he thinks about the fashion choices, or ask him for a little reassurance, to help you deal directly with the insecurity issues. I'll bet he'd be really good at that. ;)

Are you asking "Do I look good in this?" or "Does this look good on me?"

You could always go naked.

Are you asking "Do I look good in this?" or "Does this look good on me?"

You could always go naked.

It's more of "Which one looks better on me?" It's a choice issue for me. He ALWAYS tells me I look good when I dress up. :D But I very much like the going naked idea. Thanks. ;)

I have just straight out asked hubby, "I have no clue what to wear, pick a shirt out for me." And he will. He has no fashion sense and is slightly color blind so it's a good thing that I wear jeans most of the time. ;) But, yeah, he is the type who doesn't care what I'm wearing, I look good in anything to him...although he's not sure about burlap and blood larva, burlap yes, but those blood larva...maybe not. heh

He probably really doesn't have a clue! But if he thinks you look good no matter what, good.

My husband swings from not caring at all and saying I look good in anything to raiding the closet to pick the "perfect" outfit for me-usually something I think I look hideous in.

Nudity is looking better and better.

Fat butt

this is a case of where honesty is NOT the best policy!

But it is a case where application of the techniques used in the OP come into play. Try it like this:

She: Sweetheart, tell me the truth, now. Is my butt fat?
He: *looks her up and down slowly and appreciatively* Oh, yeah, baby, that ass looks Pretty Hot And Tasty to me! that ass is PHAT, for sure.
*end of discussion.*

I am going on the assumption, of course, that most guys think most girls' butts look PHAT most of the time. And of course, your mileage may vary.

:cool:

Back