Guidelines & Boundaries vs. Rules: Merged Threads, General Discussion

I was where you and your girlfriend are about five years ago, except I was in your girlfriend's shoes. I'd like to weigh in.

1. Communication - i want to know when she is going out, and i want to know who it is (maybe even if it is just a name) - she seemed okay with letting me know this

Glad she was okay with that. I had the same rule with my SO when we started opening up, and it turned out to be an important one for us.

Also asked if I would be able to ask what they did (not sexually) . . .
- to this she seem a little hesitant, but POSSIBLY open

She might be thinking that there might be some things that she wants to kind of be between her and her friend, something that is "their thing". My "friend" and I really liked going to Hooters for All-You-Can-Eat wings on Monday nights, and while my boyfriend was always welcome, and on occasion joined us, it really was my and my "friend's" thing, and didn't feel the same/right with my boyfriend.

Conversely, my boyfriend once found out that I drove my friend to a beach at night and we sat in the sand and made out, and that bothered my boyfriend, because he felt that this was something that was "our thing." He asked me not to do that again, and I didn't. Communication was key. If you two can't be honest about each other and your feelings on these things, and if you BOTH can't be willing to compromise, this will quickly become a problem.

2. Safe sex - this is obvious - she is always safe, even for the longest time with me.... but what if someone has herpes mouth and there is oral? is it wrong of me to ask her not to allow someone to do something like that to her?

You can ask her to get her friend tested, or you can see if she's willing to forgo oral. My boyfriend asked it of me, and I tried for a long time to forgo it, but eventually I had to admit that it was too difficult for me - oral sex is a big part of what I feel is sex. I got my friend tested and we went from there.

3. Home - She wanted to be able to bring him over here (assuming i wasnt home) and I flat out said NO! this to me is sacred place that is just for me and her - she seemed a little upset about this

I'm sure with time she'll understand. If you need a safe space, and that's non-negotiable, she'll just have to decide whether or not she can deal with that. I definitely split hotel rooms with my friend when we weren't able to use his place. Be prepared for her and her friend to get creative with locations if she can't use the house, though.

4. I come first - When I go to sleep I want here to be in bed with me everynight. . .she seemed POSSIBLY okay with this

This did come up between my boyfriend and I. The biggest problem was that we were keeping my friend a secret, so often I would go out at night with my girlfriends as usual, and go to my friend's house afterward, which may not have been until 1 or 2 am. It took a lot of compromise and back-and-forth, and eventually even prompting from my "friend" once we were done to get out of his house and head home. What wound up happening was I had to choose on weekends whether to go out with my girlfriends OR go out with/hang out by my "friend's" and make it an early night. It was a hard adjustment, and there was a lot of sex a little too soon after dinner for my taste, but it wasn't all that awful.

5. She very secretive about getting text... how do i handle that?

If you can't trust her, this relationship is doomed even without opening up. My guy never wanted to read my texts or the things on my computer. If he was feeling particularly insecure, he might ask what I was texting/talking about with my "friend", and I'd give him a summary, but he never asked to see it. How do you handle it? Decide whether or not you can trust her, and if not, decide whether your relationship is going to work.

Her texting during "you time" is definitely an issue worth discussing - I was guilty of doing it often. At certain times, I think it's fair to say, "hey, can you tell your friend that you and I are having some "us time" right now, and you'll text him later?" Try to be nice about letting her know that you want her company, and that you don't feel you have it when she's texting.

6. Cheating - how / what is cheating at this point?

Some boundaries exist out of necessity and need to be discussed, others you're going to want to create because they'll make you feel better, but the reality is, is that too many boundaries IS controlling, and will doom you to failure. I was told this when I first asked the questions you were asking, and was sure I could handle it, but one by one, I found that I couldn't follow all of the boundaries my boyfriend had set up. The curfew and oral sex were big ones, and I admitted to him one night that I had broken the oral sex "rule," which was "cheating," and that's what spurred the discussion, the STD testing, and the adjustment of that boundary.

7. Timeframe - i think she spoke about hanging out with this friend maybe once a week. . .this is new to me

If this is what she has in mind, it's probably what is going to happen if she is an adult and has transportation. If you're really unable to deal with her being absent that often (after trying it for a bit), perhaps you could ask her how she'd feel if you asked her to skip a week once in a while, to remind you of how important you are to her.

I'm really hoping that SHE is as concerned about all of this as you are, because it will be necessary for her to do quite a bit of re-assuring and re-stating her love for you and your importance to her. If she doesn't seem able to do this, you might be in for quite the bumpy ride.

8. Ending her relationship with her friend. . . things happen...

Things do happen, and you can't stop them. In article I recently read on the topic of open marriages, a woman said that her friends say, "but your husband might leave you for someone else!" and she says, "Yeah, or he might run away and join the circus, there are no guarantees, monogamy or not." You are posting in a polyamory forum, and I'm going to be honest with you here: I fell in love with my "friend." I still am in love with him. It was hard for my boyfriend, but once he realized I still loved him and wasn't leaving him for someone else, we were stronger for it, and even more in love. That probably sounds devastating and impossible to you right now, but you should know from now, that we can't control feelings, and if feelings do develop, trying to stop them will only push your girlfriend further from you and closer to the person who has been accepting of her "other" relationship (you) the whole time.

9. Someone for me to talk to . . .not sure if she can be accepting of this

Perhaps an anonymous person here on the boards? Perhaps a friend who doesn't know your girlfriend, who lives in another city, far far away? My boyfriend would talk to his gaming friends on COD about it; people who he never met in real life, and I had no issue with that.

10. She should tell other person she is in relationship . . .makes me feel like she is cheating on me

You "think" she would not like this idea? Bring it up to her. Ask her. If she's not looking to leave you, I don't think it should be a problem. Have her tell her friend that she's in an open relationship, to do otherwise would be a lie of omission, and it's dishonest. If she's not willing to tell the friend about you, then yeah, I think I'd be a little worried, too, if this is supposed to be a long-term friend-with-benefits situation. One night stands, not so much, but this sounds more serious.

It's okay to start of stricter, to rules she's willing to follow, with the idea that maybe in a month, three months, six months, a year, you can revisit the rules and adjust if you've become more comfortable. You're going to have to move at your own pace, and she's going to need to be willing to be accepting of and communicative about that.

In all seriousness, talk to her. Talk to her about how willing she is to be "open" in this open relationship and honest with you. If you can't trust her to be honest, it won't work out (monogamously or otherwise). Some people share everything, some people don't want to know everything; know how much you want to know, and see if she's willing to share that or not.

Good luck.

The only real "rule" we have is to be honest. We don't necessarily have to keep each other up to speed at all times, but when asked or when something major happens - we tell the other. We also require the other to be conscientious - if I'm going to be later than expected, I text home to let him know. If he's going to be super focused on composing a message for the next 20 minutes, he lets me know. If one of us feels neglected, we have a standing house rule that technology free hours can be implemented so that we have that uninterrupted, focused time together (sometimes when you live together, you take time together for granted instead of making the most of it).

1. Communication - i want to know when she is going out, and i want to know who it is (maybe even if it is just a name) ...

Also asked if I would be able to ask what they did (not sexually) but hanging out as friends because it will help my insecurity and build our relationship ...

I think knowing who she is with and a general place she is going to be is pretty okay so that you are able to find her in case of emergency. I mean, what if her phone happens to die and there is a family emergency (something with parents, siblings, or other person she is close to) and you aren't able to get ahold of her? Would she then be okay with you either contacting the person she is with or finding her so that she can be there in the case of emergency?

I agree that mimicking dates she has with her others would seem rather lame. If you want to make your relationship more fulfilling, then do it yourself. Don't rely on someone else to give you ideas.

2. Safe sex

You have a right to request whatever safer sex practices make you comfortable. She has the right to refuse. You have the right to stop performing certain sexual acts if she doesn't comply. Herpes is one of those things that is easily spread (as is HPV). Using dental dams can decrease the likelihood of spreading these viruses that are shed by skin-to-skin contact during oral. If you do a little research, you can usually find something that will work for you. Or, like I said, you can make her choose between having oral with you and having oral with others - just be prepared for her to choose him/them over you if she feels like it is unreasonable.

3. Home - She wanted to be able to bring him over here (assuming i wasnt home) and I flat out said NO!

I would balk at this. It's her home, too, so putting that limit seems harsh. Asking for no sexual contact when you're around or in your bed seems reasonable.

4. I come first - When I go to sleep I want here to be in bed with me everynight, I dont want to go to bed alone knowing she is sleeping over with someone else. She says after sex (and i know she is like this) she gets tired and sleepy and said she wants to be out til 2-3am ... I want her home by midnight (see next paragraph)...

I proposed that at least until I have my first "friend" and understand that maybe she could help my jealousy/insecurity by saying to herself "its midnight she start thinkin of coming home, wrap up and let him know that she needs to get home" - she seemed POSSIBLY okay with this

She's an adult, she can choose. Once again, you can state your preference, but imposing a curfew is going to seem rather parent-y of you. Especially as early as midnight. Asking her to be home at night isn't necessarily a bad thing - I personally don't sleep (as in sleeping, not sex) with someone unless I am in a relationship with them - or with close friends who I don't have sex with. End of story. If it is casual sex, then sleeping together afterward always seems to confuse things (in my experience).

Oh, as a side note, it makes me really uncomfortable how you refer to having your "first friend" always in quotations. Kind of seems creepy. lol Sorry. It also seems like you are putting unrealistic expectations of how you having a similar external relationship is going to affect your feelings towards your girlfriend having one. I mean, if you're jealous/distrusting/worried/uncomfortable, there is a reason. Figure out that reason BEFORE you bring more people into the mix or you are just asking for trouble and hurt feelings!

5. She very secretive about getting text, i got upset yesterday we went shopping and she didnt even know where we parked because she was glued to her phone talking with her "friend" I didnt think this was acceptable because this was "my time with her" - i think she understood, however I/we are not sure how to handle this I mean, I dont want her hiding in another room texting but I dont want her spending 30 min texting this other person ...

I really would like to see these messages but she is pretty much like NO that is controlling ...

She should be aware of what is going on around her. Not having any recollection of where you parked is a problem. If she isn't aware of what's going on in a parking lot where there are moving cars, she isn't being safe. Seems like something you'd have to remind a child. Also, I suggest seeing if she would agree to tech-free times or something where she is entirely focused on spending quality time with you.

As for reading her messages, this seems like an invasion of privacy. If you can't trust her enough to let her talk to people, why are you in a relationship with her? On the other side, why is she so secretive? It really doesn't seem like she is after "casual sex." She is talking to this guy all the time, wanting to sleep over, and go on dates. Is she like that with all her friends or is this awfully relationship-y?

6. Cheating - how / what is cheating at this point? i feel if we communicate boundaries and she doesnt abide by them this would be cheating, however - what do I do if it happens? How do I handle boundaries in a way that I dont make her feel like she is being controlled? - she feels too many boundaries and demands takes away from me embracing this open relationship and confining and controlling her

Going against a boundary she has previously agreed to would be cheating (for her). For you, her going against any boundaries you have stated could be cheating. If you two can't agree on these boundaries so that your definitions of cheating match up, I would be very worried. If she is reacting that strongly to any mention of boundaries, good luck getting her to think you're not being controlling. She should be trying to help you ease into it, but if she's not willing you either have to deal with her wishes or make the decision to not be in the relationship anymore.

7. Timeframe - i think she spoke about hanging out with this friend maybe once a week, to me that is a LOT but she says sometimes its not even sexual because it is a "friend" with benefits, so it doesnt always lead to sexual encounter ...

Once a week doesn't seem that frequent to me, but if it always led to sleepovers I would think differently. If they are really friends, then it isn't unreasonable, but to me hanging out with a friend is not always a one-on-one activity, either. Do they hang out with other people or is all their time together date-like?

8. Ending her relationship with her friend - What can I do if I dont feel like I want her to be with a particular person, or if I feel like maybe she is getting to close, she seems pretty confident that there are ABSOLUTELY NO FEELINGS and I believe her, but things happen...

You can ask her nicely to end it. Once again, she could refuse and you would be stuck with making a decision on whether or not you can handle the situation.

9. Someone for me to talk to - she doesnt want anyone to know, she has always been a private person, her culture, not just with this relationship thing but everything about her life, but I NEED someone to talk to cuz this is tough for me to know I have to share her - im not sure if she can be accepting of this

She needs to realize that this is your life, too. Talking and getting feedback is a great way to process. If she isn't able to talk to you in a way that helps you through this, then you will definitely need some support. There is always the internet - I mean, you're getting all kinds of people to talk to you on here. In person, you could once again tell her that you're going to be honest with the friends you think would react well. Then SHE has the decision to either live with it, decide not to have a FWB, or leave you.

10. She should tell other person she is in relationship - She has stated that she and her 'friend' are clear that they are not mushy mushy or looking for relationship just friendship and casual sex if it comes up, but she doesnt tell them she is in relationship. I would like her to let them know - im not sure why but I think she would not really like this idea, which makes me feel like she is cheating on me

This would be a requirement for me. Hands down. How is the other person a friend if he doesn't know that she is in a serious relationship? Does this person know that she is wanting to keep it emotion-free (or at least romance free)?

Is it okay to have stricter boundaries for her to be sensitive to my "transitional" period..

Asking her to give you more time to process is valid. Whether or not she is willing to do it is a testament to how much she is really wanting you to accept this. Read around this site - there are all kinds of stories of people easing into polyamorous relationships so that their mono partners can come to terms with what is going on in the most comfortable manner possible as long as there is active effort.

I would recommend having a set time frame if you are wanting stricter boundaries for a transitional period than you want for the long run.

My wife said that sort of thing after we got together. I pointed out to her that any place I can't bring any guest I choose is *not* my home, so I'd be moving out into a nearby apartment. She doesn't get to choose who my guests are in my home.

So I understand why your gf is upset. You're trying to tell her that she can't choose whom to host in her home. I wouldn't be surprised if she decided that's unacceptable and moves into her own place.

I can see how it would be unacceptable for the OP as well, however. My home is my haven. My cave. My 'safe place.' Being Mono, I extend that haven to my relationship with my partner, and to me, that is within the context of *our* side of the relationship and not his to give away without agreement. That said, however, I wouldn't be uncomfortable with it if I weren't there (as long as we discussed it first), but the OP's mileage seems to vary here.

I *do* expect to have a say in who comes into my home, period - OSO, friend, acquaintance, or stranger.

Sharing a home prior to opening up the relationship makes this a very hairy situation, and it wouldn't surprise me for one person to have to carve out their own 'safe place', but this should be negotiated carefully.

She is an adult, correct? You don't get to decide that sort of thing for another adult. You can decide that for your children.

Were somebody to try to tell me what time I had to be home, I'd walk off laughing.

There isn't anything wrong with asking, though - again, maybe with the idea of revisiting the rules later and maybe renegotiating once the OP sees that his relationship is still okay.

Corey, perhaps you want to closely examine what it is you hope to achieve by that rule (and the others, including the "not in my home" one)... what is it that you NEED out of your GF, and ask her for that? If you really need to feel as though you're not being forgotten or left behind, then attempting to hit each symptom with a rule will be like swatting a cloud of mosquitoes by hand. You'll FEEL absolutely ridiculous after a while, and it's just not going to work.

Maybe you're not quite sure yet, and that's fine. The rule/revisit cycle may give you time to figure that out in a way that's more comfortable for you.

Wanting to know what she's doing, so maybe you can do it too? It comes across as trying to be "everything" to her. She more than likely doesn't believe you CAN or SHOULD be everything, and you truly shouldn't try to do things you wouldn't normally want to do, just to be someone you think she wants you to be. She doesn't want you to be anything other than yourself.

What I have told my partner, however, is that, regardless of what types of activities his OSO and I gravitate to (and how different they may be), that he should NEVER assume that I don't want to do <x> or <y> because she does. And vice versa. Unless it's *special* to them, then nobody should be excluded from having an experience (going to a particular city or a restaurant, etc.), and you might learn some fun new facts about each other and yourselves. :)

Lots of other advice being given, so I'll stop here. Hoping for all the best...

You are asking people to share what their rules are for open relationships. What I've seen with most poly people, I believe, is having boundaries that are negotiated rather than hard rules. If you are looking for ideas from what other people do in their poly or open relationships, there are already numerous threads on the topic. Have you tried doing a search? It is always a good idea to search and see if your topic has already been addressed. There are probably plenty of good ideas and things to stimulate your conversations and negotiations with your girlfriend for you in these threads:

Alternatives to making "rules"

The Rules/Foundations of Poly

Negotiating Rules

What are your boundaries?

Old rules - giggle with me!

boundaries - when are they ethical, when aren't they

Reasonable Boundaries

These are good blog posts, as food for thought:
http://sexgeek.wordpress.com/2007/06/10/10-realistic-rules-for-good-non-monogamous-relationships/

http://www.morethantwo.com/polyamorywithoutrules.html

As far as your list of rules, I think it is overkill. Every relationship needs its privacy. Don't go asking for permission to snoop, that's just immature. Asking to always come first, the right to tell her to end it, and to have a curfew are also too restrictive. I think you need to start thinking more like an autonomous adult rather than a kid who isn't getting what he wants. It sounds like much much more communication about your feelings and insecurities is needed, rather than setting up rules. All the rules in the world won't help the fears that you have underneath it all.

Also asked if I would be able to ask what they did (not sexually) . . .

She might be thinking that there might be some things that she wants to kind of be between her and her friend, something that is "their thing". My "friend" and I really liked going to Hooters for All-You-Can-Eat wings on Monday nights, and while my boyfriend was always welcome, and on occasion joined us, it really was my and my "friend's" thing, and didn't feel the same/right with my boyfriend.
I appreciate that, I can now maybe understand her perspective a little now and maybe can back off this a little and possible down the road she/we can revisit

I am wondering though, she didnt seem very receptive about me meeting this person, along with the fact that she hasnt told him she is in a relationship is my "red flag" to really be concerned. She mentioned that she knows im very emotional and thinks I would have a difficult time if I knew who he was, but I feel like that is for me to decide (my feelings that is) - this may sound weird but the more opened up she is the more i feel closer to her, and it makes me love her more and for me being monogamous also makes me feel secure knowing hey, its just another guy and not fantasizing about this Superman figure

2. Safe sex - but what if someone has herpes mouth and there is oral? is it wrong of me to ask her not to allow someone to do something like that to her?
You can ask her to get her friend tested, or you can see if she's willing to forgo oral. My boyfriend asked it of me, and I tried for a long time to forgo it, but eventually I had to admit that it was too difficult for me - oral sex is a big part of what I feel is sex. I got my friend tested and we went from there.
Yeah she really likes oral, at least from me so I assume its the same with others. So asking her not to would be tough, I dont know though how to approach the situation of asking he get tested. Since he is also a student he can get a few of the tests for free, this I know. Any suggestion on how to ask?

3. Home - She wanted to be able to bring him over here (assuming i wasnt home) and I flat out said NO! this to me is sacred place that is just for me and her - she seemed a little upset about this
I'm sure with time she'll understand. If you need a safe space, and that's non-negotiable, she'll just have to decide whether or not she can deal with that. I definitely split hotel rooms with my friend when we weren't able to use his place. Be prepared for her and her friend to get creative with locations if she can't use the house, though.
Im really glad I asked this and you responded because "creative with locations" sort of makes me feel uncomfortable, unless its just his place. I guess I can ask if they can go to his place. I suppose it would be wrong to bring up hotel cuz i know she cant afford it and i dont know him so i dont know his situation.

4. I come first - When I go to sleep I want here to be in bed with me everynight. . .she seemed POSSIBLY okay with this
This did come up between my boyfriend and I. The biggest problem was that we were keeping my friend a secret, It was a hard adjustment, and there was a lot of sex a little too soon after dinner for my taste, but it wasn't all that awful.
She not typical girly type so doesnt have girlfriends I dont think she would have any concern with that similar secret situation. She says that she considers this guy (or other guys that come along) to be friends at first and then comes casual sex. She mentions that she thinks 2-3am is fine, of course but if this is just a friend with benefits i mean you hang out with your friend maybe leads to sex, but after that why do you need to hang around. Especially since she said the guy told her he doesnt want relationship or anything just the casual thing. I have no problem (when im single) if Im not with someone serious and we have sex say, hey you know its getting late and I need to get home. Am I missing another side of the perspective?

I have a feeling if I have an encounter of my own, then I might understand better? This is all just so new and scary that it seems like its going to fast.

5. She very secretive about getting text... how do i handle that?
If he was feeling particularly insecure, he might ask what I was texting/talking about with my "friend", and I'd give him a summary,
The current problem is that she saw the guy a couple times before she brought up the open-relationship, and being monogmous and not knowing whats going on, this was "cheating" so naturally at the time I was trying to see her phone and stuff. This kinda made this rift where she now password protected her phone and gets edgy at any mention of the phone/text because now she feels like im prying.

I think I can handle not reading her messages or sneaking peeks if she could simply open up and just say hey "just flirting" or "he just seeing when we can get together" or whatever it might be. The thing is I dont know how to make her believe me that she can trust me not to snoop on her phone or computer, i dont like her locking them cuz it makes me feel she doesnt trust me.

6. Cheating - how / what is cheating at this point?
Some boundaries exist out of necessity and need to be discussed, others you're going to want to create because they'll make you feel better, but the reality is, is that too many boundaries IS controlling, and will doom you to failure.
Im completely confident that if she gives me enough time, that I will definitely be a little more lax on the boundaries, but some will always have to exist. But having her home shortly after midnight the first "while" that this is occurring I told her is just temporary if she can give me time and then I can open up to accepting her 2-3am return.

7. Timeframe - i think she spoke about hanging out with this friend maybe once a week. . .this is new to me
If you're really unable to deal with her being absent that often perhaps you could ask her how she'd feel if you asked her to skip once in a while, to remind you of how important you are to her.
We are both student, and Sunday is an all day homework day for the both of us. And if she is going out every week (Fri or Sat) with someone it really puts me in that spot where I get less "quality" time than I feel that he is getting, and that hurts.

As nycindie also suggested, try doing a search on "boundaries" "foundations" "lessons" "communication" "mono/poly"

Your rules are very restrictive, manipulative, controlling, disrespectful of her privacy and stifling. I get that you are monogamous and she cheated on you. It sounds like most of the reasons you decided on these rules and have the questions you have is because you wants some control over the situation. I don't think enforcing rules that she is likely not going to respect is the way to do it. I think you'd do better to express how her actions make you feel and suggest ways she could make you feel loved and wanted.

As an example, the texting, tell her that you feel she is not giving you the attention you are used to and the quality time you need. Suggest that maybe you would feel better about he texting if she kept it to certain times of the day. She would have to tell her friend that she isn't available at the other times. This is where negotiation begins and your rules get discussed as requests and suggestions rather than attempting to force. If you can't agree to a boundary then make some kind of compromise and keep going over the issue until you find a boundary. This can take years, so hang in there.

Open relationships are not like poly in many ways. Rules may be part of what people with open relationships do. I don't know. I can only speak about common poly theory.

Personally, after all these years, there are no rules I have. Even safe sex is an individual thing. I don't put myself in a position that the sex I have is unsafe and if one of my partners has unsafe sex then I trust them to tell me so I can protect myself as I see fit. The rest is all a matter of feeling a feeling, expressing it and then making a request on how my partner might do something differently or change their actions so that there is more comfort for all.

Last edited:
km34: thanks for your reply

I think knowing who she is with and a general place she is going to be is pretty okay so that you are able to find her in case of emergency.
She so stubborn and difficult to talk to sometimes. Always so private and irritable (not just me, she acts the same with family or friends) so her reaction is always just like "you just want to keep tabs on me to feel like youre in control"

I agree that mimicking dates she has with her others would seem rather lame. If you want to make your relationship more fulfilling, then do it yourself. Don't rely on someone else to give you ideas.
Yeah I guess your right now that couple people mention this make sense

Code:
I would balk at this. It's her home, too, so putting that limit seems harsh. Asking for no sexual contact when you're around or in your bed seems reasonable.
I just feel like if she really wants to make a life with me, get married, have kids and a serious relationship - then we have to have a place that is ours, some place that is separated from this "friend with benefit". Remember that I am monogamous and she is asking for this, and for me to give in to something like this should show her that i do care but some things she I cannot negotiate.

but imposing a curfew is going to seem rather parent-y of you.
I just dont want her to stay overnight, then it to me isnt really just that she needs to get her rocks off, it then seems like something more. As far as midnight, just referring to that as a transitional, while im adjusting to this new experience.

Oh, as a side note, it makes me really uncomfortable how you refer to having your "first friend" always in quotations.
What I mean on this, is I REALLY dont understand why someone needs to have another friend (with sex), friend i understand, but with sex, being monogamous makes me feel as though I am not enough for her. So I just feel if I experience what she has that I would understand and then be more understanding of her... and not a "tit for tat" sort of thing, in fact she says she wants me to have the same thing, she is okay with it

As for reading her messages, this seems like an invasion of privacy. If you can't trust her enough to let her talk to people, why are you in a relationship with her? On the other side, why is she so secretive? It really doesn't seem like she is after "casual sex." She is talking to this guy all the time, wanting to sleep over, and go on dates. Is she like that with all her friends or is this awfully relationship-y?
It feels very much like a relationship, which is what bothers me the most. As for reading her text, the only reason i did was BEFORE she asked for open relationship we are living together serious relationship monogamously and she dissapeared TWICE (2 friday night in a row) without telling me where she was, who she was with, she didnt come home until 3am. So being in monogamous relationship, she was cheating and I needed to know what going on.

At this point I want her to trust me NOT to read her messages, but be able to share some of what is going on, something simple as "oh he just wants to know if i want to go out friday" or something or "he just flirting" Her being secretive about it makes me worry that this isnt so much an "open-relationship" with me as a primary but her wanting a place to stay until she can find something better

Once a week doesn't seem that frequent to me, but if it always led to sleepovers I would think differently. If they are really friends, then it isn't unreasonable, but to me hanging out with a friend is not always a one-on-one activity, either. Do they hang out with other people or is all their time together date-like?
She hasnt really told me much yet what they do but it seems like hanging out with a friend and/or date/sex kind of thing... As far as once a week being too much for me to have her gone, we are both student so weekday we are at school, weeknight we are dealing with homework, and Sunday is nothing but homework. So really leaves Fri night and Sat night for me with her. So giving up a whole day every week, at this point is a lot to me.

This would be a requirement for me. Hands down. How is the other person a friend if he doesn't know that she is in a serious relationship? Does this person know that she is wanting to keep it emotion-free (or at least romance free)?
She "says" that these things for her are unemotional and she just likes the "attention" she gets from another guy (i dont know what that means) she says that he told her that he just wants a casual thing but from the text msg she did show me (i could tell she deleted part of it) it sounded like he was upset about something possibly relating to wanting to keep casual, along with the fact she hasnt told him she in a serious relationship just has me concerned

Last edited:
I just dont want her to stay overnight, then it to me isnt really just that she needs to get her rocks off, it then seems like something more.
By this, you are saying that you have a right to dictate what level of emotional involvement she is allowed to have in her own relationships. Why shouldn't it be something more than sex? Why is it okay with you for her to share her body but not her mind and heart? Wouldn't you want someone to respect and care for her rather than just use her for sex? You don't own her, nor do you have a right to stake a claim to any part of her. She is her own person and makes her own choices. I think that, the sooner you look at it this way, the better able you will be to then make your own decisions about what you can live with, rather than figuring out what rules to restrict her with just to keep your insecurities and sense of possession over her in place.

And, of course, she can fall in love with someone else even if she abides by a curfew. Not "allowing" overnights won't prevent that.

You are asking people to share what their rules are for open relationships. What I've seen with most poly people, I believe, is having boundaries that are negotiated rather than hard rules.

I think i must have read about 20 sites on boundaries, and 75% of the ones that I mention in my post are ones pretty much everyone has. Some of the others are surrounding the fact that most of what i read about open relationships is that I should KNOW the other person, while she is secretive about who this person is and what is going on and not telling them she is in a serious relationship.

As far as opening a new thread for advice, every relationship is unique so I wanted to be able to communicate what "her" idea of open relationship is, in that its friends with benefits vs something more complicated like swingers or other poly activities.

By this, you are saying that you have a right to dictate what level of emotional involvement she is allowed to have in her own relationships. Why shouldn't it be something more than sex? Why is it okay with you for her to share her body but not her mind and heart? Wouldn't you want someone to respect and care for her rather than just use her for sex? You don't own her, nor do you have a right to stake a claim to any part of her. She is her own person and makes her own choices. I think that, the sooner you look at it this way, the better able you will be to then make your own decisions about what you can live with, rather than figuring out what rules to restrict her with just to keep your insecurities and sense of possession over her in place.

And, of course, she can fall in love with someone else even if she abides by a curfew. Not "allowing" overnights won't prevent that.

I made it very clear that if this is more than just sex and is more relationship like what she and i have, I dont want any part of it and she is more than free to leave this relationship and move out. At this point I am paying all the bills and rent and Im a student with no money so, in my perspective Im not ready to be used for a place to live while she is having other relationships and pretending to call it "open relationship" So these rules are things that I need to be comfortable with what she is doing. Otherwise I need her to tell me so I can end the relationship

Last edited:
I would wonder how much truth she is telling you to save her own ass. It doesn't sound like you are going to get an honest answer from her if she's afraid you'll boot her out. She might very well be in love. She seems to be behaving like that. A fun fuck session with a friend doesn't usually warrant days of constant texting to the point of forgetting where your car is. At least in my opinion.

She could be in love with both of you! This site is about and for people who are loving more than one, not the open relationship description you seem to be putting her into. That of fwb's.

This has only been a couple of days for you. I think you need to take a breath and let things unfold before deciding everything is one way or another.

I would wonder how much truth she is telling you to save her own ass. It doesn't sound like you are going to get an honest answer from her if she's afraid you'll boot her out. She might very well be in love. She seems to be behaving like that. A fun fuck session with a friend doesn't usually warrant days of constant texting to the point of forgetting where your car is. At least in my opinion.

She could be in love with both of you! This site is about and for people who are loving more than one, not the open relationship description you seem to be putting her into. That of fwb's.

This has only been a couple of days for you. I think you need to take a breath and let things unfold before deciding everything is one way or another.

Thanks I needed the reminder to just step back and maybe see how things pan out.

The thought occurred to me that to build this trust we could take a break or she could even move out for a while and then we can see if we still feel the same way and want to go forward. I guess I can only gauge her reaction.

Right now she had moved in with me and im paying all the living expenses she only takes care of her own bills and occasionally puts in for grocery or gas.

In the meantime I think I just need to step back and ask her for time before she does anything more with this guy (if she is still living with me) so I can figure out what I want. She obviously had months to think over this or years before she met me, but Ive only had a weekend.

There's been a lot of good stuff said on here already, so I'm just going to add, because it's been referenced a couple of times:

Herpes can be transmitted just through kissing, even if there's not a current outbreak. So while there are other, perfectly valid reasons for asking for safer sex practices during oral, cold sores/herpes isn't one of them. She could kiss someone, get it, and still transfer it to you even by following all the safer sex rules during oral with other people.

Corey:

I'd ignore the whole bit about you being controlling here. A lot of the Poly People™ have a very clear and loving construct that they operate under, but it really only works when both people are party to it.

That's not your situation. You're trying to adopt a different set of parameters after the fact because that's what she wants. Your boundaries are simply you spelling out what you want — no shame in being clear and distinct with that. Your boundaries are also clearly mono-style boundaries. Again, that's what you entered into and wanted, so it kinda makes sense.

You're bearing all the fiscal responsibilities that allow her to live this whole duplicitous lifestyle. For what? Don't take a step back and let things breathe — take a step back and ask what you're getting out of this but heartache and a significant fiscal investment into a woman who feels it necessary to ride another guy and then lie about it?

You deserve better. I'm sure you could find it. Run, dude, run.

The thought occurred to me that to build this trust we could take a break or she could even move out for a while and then we can see if we still feel the same way and want to go forward. I guess I can only gauge her reaction.

Right now she had moved in with me and im paying all the living expenses she only takes care of her own bills and occasionally puts in for grocery or gas.

Then perhaps your Rule #1 should be that if she wants an open relationship with you, she either contributes half of everything or moves out and lives on her own. You don't need to be her doormat.

I like your list and it's a good start, but i would try to narrow it down a little. See what you can combine into one rule, sort of prioritize your list.
at the end of the day it is all about compromise. it's no more fair that she announces what she wants to do in terms of having an open relationship than it is that you are the one to set all the rules.

In new development i tried to speak with her (now its only been two days and only spoke once for a couple hours about this open relationship) and she is completely shutting me down.

She says she is tired of repeating things, its just casual sex nothing more. She just thinks a quick conversation on the day i was kicking her out would be enough for me to forget that she cheated on me and same day threw this new open-relationship in my face.

She is saying that I am acting like a child because I keep asking her to talk to me. I told her what I want "Communication, honesty, and trust" and she locks her cell phone even now after she has told me about open relationship, she wont talk to me, thinking that all she has to do is talk once.

The first time we talked and I started opening to the idea we didnt really finish the conversation because it turned into a sexual encounter. So she thinks that we talk about it once and thats it.

Im willing to try, but she doesnt seem to want to try at all. I asked her if she had thought about my perspective, or did research of her own (sine I spent 2 days reading about open relationships) to see how you should approach me about this and work with me through it. All She says that I need to "embrace" this and its just meaningless sex.

A few comments:

- Oral sex and safer sex. You can ask her to have protected oral sex, it seems like if she has safer sex there is no reason it wouldn't include safer oral sex. It's not very hard to cut open a condom and place it there, so I don't see why it doesn't even seem to be included in your options, which seem to be unprotected oral sex or no oral sex.

- About the house, if you're paying all the bills and she's not working or studying or doing the household or contributing in another way, I can see how you feel it is your house, your rules. However I need to ask for clarification: are you telling her she's not allowed to have sex in the house, or are you telling her that her friends are not welcome in the house, sex or no sex? Because I don't feel you have a leg to stand on for the latter, but I can understand the former better.

- With curfew, you can tell her you'll feel more comfortable if she sleeps in your bed, but I can't imagine having a curfew, personally. And I don't mean just in an open relationship, even in a monogamous relationship, being told "you can hang out with your friends, but be back by midnight" isn't something I would be fine with.
As for not sleeping in someone else's bed, it seems like a lot, after sex, when you're tired and just want to sleep, to demand that she gets up, gets dressed, takes a cab and get back just so that she's sleeping in your bed. It would be one thing if it was in a hotel and she just had to walk back to the right room, but actually going back out and all seems a bit much to me. But it could be just me, I can't imagine a scenario of "sex and run" when I have sex and don't stay the night (or kick the guy out). It seems like sleeping the night is part of the sex to me.
However, I don't think it's one of the worst rules you have, it seems like one that could be worked around.

- With the text messages, you have absolutely zero right to read any of her text messages, no matter who sent them and what they're about, unless she's the one showing the text to you. And even then, I would think it's not quite right if she hasn't first asked the sender of the text if she's allowed to share it. Same goes with email and physical letters, or listening in on conversations after you pretend to be gone. Once again, it's not restricted to people she's interested in.

Basically, I think a lot of the rules, you have to look at it and think, if it was just a friend, would I feel the right to have these rules? Because in many cases, the addition of sex should not change that. The fact that she has sex with someone doesn't mean you get to look at them doing it, or flirting, or anything like that.

On the other hand, I would be concerned that she doesn't want you to meet him. Because if he's her friend, it makes sense to me she would introduce him to you and I feel this should be the same. So that's a bit concerning.

What I see here is one side being more and more controlling and the other being more and more secretive, and them feeding each other. You guys need to work out a way to break that cycle. It's possible there are things she would be willing to share with you, but is strongly against sharing because you asked for them. It's possible there are things you wouldn't care much about, but insist on asking her about because she won't tell you.

In short, your relationship has a trust problem, and you need to work that out. The rules aren't going to help if you don't work on the trust issues. I would suggest seeing someone with experience in that kind of stuff.

EDIT: oh, and don't date someone just because she does. If you're monogamous, you won't get anything from another relationship. It sounds like you wanting to "get back at her", but that would only make you miserable. Depending on her, she might not care at all, be happy about you having someone, or be upset, but for you personally, if you're monogamous, it sounds like a bad plan. Plus whoever you end up seeing deserves respect and shouldn't be used as a way to get back at your girlfriend.

Last edited:
3. Home - She wanted to be able to bring him over here (assuming i wasnt home) and I flat out said NO! this to me is sacred place that is just for me and her - she seemed a little upset about this.

My wife said that sort of thing after we got together. I pointed out to her that any place I can't bring any guest I choose is *not* my home, so I'd be moving out into a nearby apartment. She doesn't get to choose who my guests are in my home.

So I understand why your gf is upset. You're trying to tell her that she can't choose whom to host in her home. I wouldn't be surprised if she decided that's unacceptable and moves into her own place.

I can see how it would be unacceptable for the OP as well, however. My home is my haven. My cave. My 'safe place.' Being Mono, I extend that haven to my relationship with my partner, and to me, that is within the context of *our* side of the relationship and not his to give away without agreement. That said, however, I wouldn't be uncomfortable with it if I weren't there (as long as we discussed it first), but the OP's mileage seems to vary here.

I *do* expect to have a say in who comes into my home, period - OSO, friend, acquaintance, or stranger.

Sharing a home prior to opening up the relationship makes this a very hairy situation, and it wouldn't surprise me for one person to have to carve out their own 'safe place', but this should be negotiated carefully.

- About the house, if you're paying all the bills and she's not working or studying or doing the household or contributing in another way, I can see how you feel it is your house, your rules. However I need to ask for clarification: are you telling her she's not allowed to have sex in the house, or are you telling her that her friends are not welcome in the house, sex or no sex? Because I don't feel you have a leg to stand on for the latter, but I can understand the former better.

Obviously a lot of people have different views on this! It may come down to fundamental personality differences.

I am not at all comfortable with having other (outside) people in my house. Period. Nothing to do with sex.

My home is my safe haven where I go to escape from people and the world. After interacting with people all day I need loads of "home" time to recharge my emotional batteries. If there are other people (other than my boys) there then "the world" has intruded into my space and it is temporarily no longer "home". My husband has never had a problem with this (he is almost as much of a hermit as I am) but when Dude joined us we had a few incidents that had to be discussed.

On the few occasions where we do have friends (or family) over - I need to a.) be comfortable with the person b.) know about it well ahead of time c.) know when they will be leaving.

The protesters say "BUT, it's their house too" - yes, but not having "outsiders" in my house is a fundamental requirement for me. There are other places that they can meet/hang out with/have sex with people - I only have one place to call "home." If they are chafing under this restriction then we can rent them an apartment or build a cabin on our property for this purpose.

My introvert nature has definitely become more pronounced as I have gotten older (and my job more stressful in terms of having to interact with people and be "on" all day long). But, at this point in my life, the bottom-line is that I could not live with someone who insisted on bringing other people into the house.

Jane(INTJ-Much?)Q

Last edited:
Back