Pet names

Tonberry

I've been wondering a few things about pet names. Those of you who have more than one partner, do you use the same pet names, different ones, a mix of both?
If you use different ones, have you ever used the wrong one accidentally?
Have you ever used a pet name only to realise your other partner thought it was "yours" and felt bad about it?

Me, I mostly use different names, and Rag and Sean have different names for me, too. I don't use many pet names with Rag, there is really only one main one, and I often call him by his name.
Sean uses lots of pet names for me, and I guess it caused me to use lots with him, too. But as a result I've felt like using more with Rag as well, I'm not sure why.

I've never used the "wrong" one, but I always worry that I will (just like I always worry I'll use the wrong name - not just with partners, with everyone, all the time).

I have different pet names for each. For my husband it is Bear or Bunny. He has different ones for me.

For my BF, I have different ones for him (he likes to be called Baby) and he calls me entirely different ones then my husband. I think the first time I called him that is when he fell in love with me.

Neither knows what the other's are. They don't chose to have any contact with each other, except for emergencies. Yes, I have called my husband, Baby since this all started with A. in July.

LMBL

PN is "love", Mono is "bbay" (pronounced "baby") and Derby is "sweets."
My two other men I call "dexy" and sometimes "sparky" (his wife calls him that though and I often find it awkward, he likes it though *shrug*).

My boy I call "bubs" (short for "bubba").

Mono calls me "lilo," his "life love." He calls me "beautiful," "baby," "sunshine"... :) can't remember what else.

I don't feel weird when I get mixed up. I just laugh and say "oops" and carry on. None of them mind I don't think. At least not to my knowledge anyways.

hmmm I don't really have specific pet names. I don't like the idea that a pet name is owned by anyone. The only one that comes to mind, really only applies to Pengrah. I call her "my milky way" because of how she brought me out west and has VERY milky white skin. It really wouldn't suit anyone else.

Otherwise the rest are fair game. Maybe I will develop more specifics as they come along in the relationship. I figure their names are unique enough haha

Well maybe it's time to talk about the pet names I have!

Rag is my Goupinou. Doesn't really mean anything as far as I know, it's just an affectionate word I made up. He's also my (adjective+inou). For instance, my Snugglinou, or Grumpinou, or Sleepinou. Or Wonderfulinou, for an example that doesn't normally end in "y".
It's pronounced "Goo-pee-noo" by the way. Which sounds bad written like this haha.
I'm his moelleuse, which means soft (or moist, if you're talking about cake) in French.

Sean is my Seanie-bear, and my (adjective + bear). I also call him sweetie and sweetie-pie, but I wouldn't thing of these as restricted to him. I guess they just come more naturally with him because he uses pet names so often.
He calls me honey or honey bunny. He also calls me his "Canadian Girlfriend".

The guy I like is named Will, so I refer to him as my Willy-Nilly sometimes. But since we're not together (or very much in touch anymore for that matter), I don't get to call him that very much (or at all, really).
He doesn't call me anything special, since we're just friends, if that.

I like having pet names for the men who are important to me. Which is funny because I don't have nicknames for any of my friends or family. I can only think of these three people that I call something other than just their name. I don't even use short forms of names very often.

Tonberry that is the cutest thing. I'm going to be adding "pinou" on the end of things now! I love it! :D

I love pet names. I give everyone close to me pet names eventually. The ones noted here are the tip of the iceberg! I have tons more for my men that would indicate their names so I won't say.

My boy I call sausage sometimes, Mr. Cooch, coochies, weiner, it goes on and on and I use them for the guys too.

The new guinea pig (pistachio) has now become stashers, wheeker (cause he says "wheek wheek" a lot), sausage. I'm sure there will be more. Quite often someone will end up being called sausage. Heh :D

I just love words I think. I like to use them as terms of endearment. I guess I call derby by another name too, but it also would indicate who she is :(

Tonberry that is the cutest thing. I'm going to be adding "pinou" on the end of things now! I love it! :D

Just to give you some more insight, in French "rabbit" is "lapin" and rabbit owners often use the words "lapinou" or "pinou".
I didn't consciously do that, but it might have inspired me to some extent, as my first language is French.

I just love words I think. I like to use them as terms of endearment. I guess I call derby by another name too, but it also would indicate who she is :(

LOL I won't tell them what I call you then either for the same reason :D

I love pet names. If I really love someone they have one. The funny thing is my BF is very yuppie. He his name must be said in it's proper form and it makes me crazy.....LOL I want to change it up a bit.

All my dogs have names to. My very favorite name is for my big dog, who died it is Mushee. She was very sweet and loving and very mushee.

My child's name is Pooh Bear or Peanut.

I have pet names for my kids. They are screamy 1 and screamy 2; Wheefus and Dingle; Boy Child and Girl Child. There are probably others too.

I've been wondering a few things about pet names. Those of you who have more than one partner, do you use the same pet names, different ones, a mix of both?
If you use different ones, have you ever used the wrong one accidentally?
GG is "M'ebe".
Maca is his given name with an "O" at the end or "honey" or "My M" depending on the circumstances.
I have used the same one-and that erupted in a NIGHTMARE of hurt feelings.
I have used the wrong one accidentally and that also erupted in a nightmare of hurt feelings.

GG calls me "Bebe".
Maca calls me "Angel lover"
There was a time early on that they both called me "Angel". THAT erupted in a nightmare of possessiveness and hurt feelings as well.

The current "pet names" work.
All different-all special. :)

about using the wrong pet name..

Invariably when I use the wrong name/pet name.. it is because the person I'm talking to... is acting like/reminding me of the other person..and I'm exasperated by them acting that way...

For a long time it was when a current boyfriend was acting like, (being pigheaded) my ex-husband.

I don't have that problem right now... the relationships are so new that we're avoiding controversial issues.

I just had another thought: what about expressions like "my other half"? Does it become "one of my other thirds/quarters/fifth/etc"? :p

I don't have specific pet names for either of my loves, who ironically, have the same first name. There are however, certain things I do or say with one and not the other, that makes each relationship unique.

That's a good question. I remember when I was still getting used to my bf having a girlfriend, I asked if they had pet names. He calls her "monkey" and she calls him "papa". Despite the slight stab of jealousy I felt at the time, I had to admit that that was adorable.

I've started calling my new bf "baby" but my first/primary bf has always been "baby love" (he makes me want to sing that Supreme's song all the time :)) When I fell in love with my new bf (a process that's still going on) I had strong urges to call him "baby" but thought it might be disrespectful since my first bf and I use that name all the time. I asked my first bf if he called his gf "baby" and he said yes, so that got cleared up pretty fast.

needless to say, If bf1 called me "monkey" I'm sure there would be problems, just like if I called bf2 "baby love" ahhhh....the intricacies of romance!

I call my husband Big Sexy - because he is 6'4" and a hulk of a handsome man, and I call my boyfriend Sweet Sexy - because he is sooooo damn sexy . . . and sweet!

My boyfriend (who was also my High School sweetheart) has always called me Beautimus.

Hubby called me Little One when we first got married just to tease me about how small I was in comparison to him, but has called me Beautisimo for most of our marriage. The first few times he called me that I felt uncomfortable since it was so close to what my bf's nickname for me was, but I eventually got over it. They are different names that both mean my men think I am beautiful and that makes me oh so happy!

How tall are you, gr8xpectations?
I'm 5'6" and both my husband and my boyfriend are 6'6".
I think it's funny that it looks like I have a "type" when I met both of them online and didn't know what they looked like!

That's awesome! I never thought, in my imagings of people on here, of how tall they must be!

I'm 5'1" my men are not that tall either and neither is derby. We have a pan rack hanging from our kitchen ceiling and none of us bump our heads on the pans. Our whole house is built for shorties. When some comes over who is large and tall, I really notice how small everything is in our house. I notice when people bang their head on the pan rack.

Last edited:
Back